1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Police Brutality] Another Cop Kneeling on Neck Death

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Unbelievable. Throw the book at them.

Video Shows Police Kneeled On Mario Gonzalez’s Back For 5 Minutes Before He Died
    The 26-year-old Latino father died in police custody in Alameda, California, on April 19.

[​IMG]

Police released footage of the events leading up to the death of a Latino man in Alameda, California, showing officers kneeling on the man’s back and shoulder until he became unresponsive. The video contradicts officials’ original account of the incident.

Mario Gonzalez, a 26-year-old Latino man, died on the morning of April 19 after what police claimed was a “scuffle” and “physical altercation” as they attempted to restrain him, followed by a “medical emergency.”

But body camera footage released on Tuesday afternoon after an outcry from Gonzalez’s family and the public did not show him being violent or fighting officers at any point.

Instead, in the video, officers approached Gonzalez, who was standing alone in a park with some bottles of alcohol in a basket. Gonzalez calmly spoke with officers for nearly nine minutes before they attempted to place his hands behind his back. Police pinned him facedown on the ground and at least two officers appeared to get on top of his back, one kneeling on his shoulder, for about five minutes until Gonzalez became unresponsive.

Police said Gonzalez died at the hospital, but the video showed that he had stopped breathing on-site and that one officer declared “no pulse” shortly after officers began CPR.

Three officers involved have been placed on paid administrative leave.

In a press conference earlier on Tuesday, members of Gonzalez’s family, who had privately viewed the footage, said Gonzalez was “compliant and they continued to pin him down.”

“Alameda police officers murdered my brother Mario,” Gonzalez’s brother Gerardo said, noting that his brother was in the park “not bothering anyone” and that “at no point was he violent.”

“Everything we saw in that video was unnecessary,” he added. “APD took a calm situation and made it fatal.”

Police killed my brother in the same manner that they killed George Floyd,” he said.

In the video, Gonzalez could be heard groaning under the weight of the police officers on top of him while he continued to respond to their questions about his name and birth date.
    “Please don’t do it,” Gonzalez said at one point, and then: “I’m sorry,” followed by screams and groans. One officer answered: “I forgive you.”

The police report made no mention of officers kneeling on Gonzalez’s back for minutes until he lost consciousness.

Similarly, when Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin murdered Floyd last year, police had described the death as a “medical incident,” neglecting to mention that Chauvin had kneeled on Floyd’s neck for nine minutes as Floyd repeatedly said he couldn’t breathe.

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office and District Attorney’s Office are conducting investigations into Gonzalez’s death. City officials have hired an outside investigator to do so as well.

The Gonzalez family is demanding an entirely independent investigation and that the officers be identified, fired and prosecuted. Their attorney Julia Sherwin is an expert in restraint asphyxiation and was a consultant in Chauvin’s prosecution.

At Tuesday’s press conference, Gonzalez’s mother, Edith Arenales, said that Gonzalez had a four-year-old son and took care of his younger 22-year-old brother, who was autistic.

They broke my family for no reason,” Arenales said, adding that she “cannot sleep.” She said even if her son was drunk, “they don’t have the right to kill him. We’re humans.”

Ziggy likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sick

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Police killing citizens and then minimizing or lying about the events to cover up their dirty deeds. Big. ****ing. Shock.

“To Protect and Serve” is just an idea.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This technique is widespread and has been used for a long time by LE. My guess is that there have been many deaths from this that haven't been reported and since George Floyd we will now see more reporting on it.

Also even well before George Floyd I had already knew that this wasn't meant to be used for a long time (a few minutes) and wasn't supposed to be on the neck.

Ziggy and Xerobull like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I just skimmed through the video and from it doesn't look like the LEO had his knee on the neck of Gonzalez but is on his back and shoulder. This is still causing a lot of stress on the body as the technique doesn't work unless it is causing stress. What it won't do is constrict the blood flow to his brain.

Based on that I think it's harder to see if this technique did cause his death but would be helpful to see another view.

JumpMan likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

"Ourselves"

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

it was unneccessary excessive force. I skimmed thru it muted and he looked harmless drunk from beginning. How much lower on the ground do they want him? forearms pinned on your back while your handcuffed. ****ing scumbags

FrontRunner and jiggyfly like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you think if he were left alone he would have remained alive? If so, what then caused his death other than being knelt on for an inordinate amount of time?

rockbox likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

To answer you and Chek64. Just from what I've seen I can't say with any certainty what caused his death and certainly have no basis about if he had been left alone if he would've died.

The only info I have is from the video and from my own knowledge I can tell you that putting your knee on someone's back isn't nearly as dangerous as putting your knee on someone's neck. It does cause stress and that could potentially kill someone especially if left on for several minutes but that isn't as much a certainty as how George Floyd was held.

With the George Floyd even from the first day there was much more information than what we have in this case.

Whether Gonzalez should've even been arrested I can agree there is a good argument he shouldn't have but that isn't exactly the issue. Remember the prosecution in George Floyd never contested whether Floyd should've been arrested but what Chauvin did once he was in custody.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't even know what to say at this point other F the the police.