1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

60 day il for baez? I need some details

2. Buck Turgidson

Retroactive to the 10th, when he was put on the 10-day list (or at least that's how the rules used to be). So really he's only on the 44-day DL now.

Also, he now doesn't count against the 40-man roster.

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Joe Smith better figure it out ASAP.

Would also like to get an update on Paredes.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Its really hard to judge relievers since their sample sizes take so long to become meaningful.

No Worries likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not saying bench him, but at what point does Castro start to take some of Maldonado's AB's?

I know the pitchers really like him, but it's a good AB if he even puts the ball in play right now.

everyday eddie and The Beard like this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Usually I will look at game logs for small sample sizes on relievers. Then look at earned runs, hits, walks, HBP, inherited runners, and inherited runs scored.

He's on a one appearance streak of not allowing an earned run.

5 of 7 inherited runners have scored.

I'd like to see the Astros get another blow out win and let Smith go for 2 innings. He hasn't pitched since the 22nd.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think the catcher playing time has been managed well so far, and it’s too early to demote Maldy. Maldonado needs another 100-150 pa before there should be any significant change in that depth chart. But obviously a 45% k rate is unplayable regardless of how good he is defensively or how much he means to the pitching staff.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Every 10 games Castro plays he gets 250k more in salary next year up to 2 million.

Shouldn't be a major consideration if Maldonado continues to struggle like he has, but going to suck if Castro is making 5.5 million next year. That would mean the Astros could be paying 10.5 million for Maldonado and Castro next season...

raining threes likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With the question marks surrounding 4 of the top 5 SP (McCullers and Urquidy traditionally not going deep, Odorizzi and Valdez having injury concerns) and the good results from the fill-ins (Emanuel, Garcia, and Javier all have thrown well), I would really like to see them tandem all the SP except Greinke once everyone is healthy. That would provide insurance against injuries, allow the young guys to get opportunities, and manage innings limits. Something like:

Greinke
    Valdez/Garcia
    McCullers/Bielak
    Odorizzi/Emanuel
    Javier/Urquidy

That would make it very likely they get thru 7 innings with just those pitchers most games, with Pressly, Stanek, Smith, and one other guy (Raley, Paredes, Baez, James, or Pruitt) taking the later innings. Abreu, Solomon, Solis, Ivey, Scrubb, Taylor and Rodriguez would be on the 40 man as available fill ins in AAA.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  10. Screaming Fist

I'm skeptical Smith will be of much use unless he can recapture some/all of the velo he has lost since 2019.

raining threes and Joe Joe like this.
  11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I doubt that is how the Astros play it. I think they will have 2 long relief guys out of Garcia, Bielak, and Emanual. They will hope the starter goes long and if he goes 6-7 they will use the late inning relievers (Paredes, Stanek, Pressly, and whoever else emerges). Then if the starter goes 5 innings or less they will use the long relief guys for as long as they are getting outs. If guys with options get burned out they will be replaced with fresher arms from the alternative site/minor leagues. Pretty much what they have been doing now. They aren't going to plan out regular tandems.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree that Houston is unlikely to deploy tandems, but I think that tandems would be more effective than the more traditional method you described.

More likely is that there will continue to be injuries such that the staff is never fully healthy and they are forced to just pitch whoever is available, much like they have done over this first month of the season.

raining threes and Astrofan59 like this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree they aren't going to plan out that this guy has to pitch on this day. I do hope the Astros get to the point that the long relievers are given X days rest, and then pitch either that day or the next day (in rare circumstances will the Astros not to need a long reliever in two consecutive games, but in those days the long reliever gets pushed to a third day).

I think the Astros depth in pitching is in guys that can go multiple innings, but maybe not 5-6 regularly. These guys need rest to maintain their arms in case they are needed to spot start. I'm a little surprised in Bielak this year as he had nothing working at the end of last year. I'd add Solomon and Ivey to the list of Garcia, Bielak, and Emanuel (he can probably go more than just a 2-3 innings, but can fit that role) as guys I think that may fit this role. Abreu might join this group if he can find some Ks as well as Pruitt if he pitches.

On the high leverage relievers, it hasn't shown up in results, but I think Raley is looking better, and probably will be better going forward. I hope Taylor can find his slider on this IL stint. His fastball is still great, but he's just a 1-pitch pitcher at this point.

#113 Joe Joe, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Snake Diggit and Screaming Fist like this.
  14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

His ERA has dropped his last 2 appearances. He's also only allowed 1 inherited runner to score all year.

Last year he had an incredibly low WHIP with the Astros of .750. His career WHIP is 1.41ish which is close to where he is this year. His FIP is 4.54 versus 3.94 last year. So he's not that far off. His walks are up this year and so are his H/9.

Didn't he have some minor injury or something? I remember the catcher going out or something. Hopefully he is past that and can continue to pitch better.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He had a back thing to start the season. He got off to a slow start last year with Reds and Astros, but was dynamite last couple of months or so including the playoffs. After his first three starts this season, he's basically striking out, walking people, and suppressing homers like he did at end of last season and playoffs (7.20 ERA/3.49 FIP/1.93xFIP in that span). Only difference is that it seems everyone that has gotten on base against him, scores (27% LOB is comically low). He'll be fine if he can keep his FIP in the 3.50-4 range.

With his limited track record hard to guess what he'll be.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

How can a player be ahead of schedule if a schedule hasn't been set with dates?

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Click on the tweet for lots of train tidbits...

No Worries likes this.
  20. raining threes

I'm hoping Garcia can give Baker 2 innings in relief every other day after the pitching staff gets healthy. Garcia could be the bridge guy to Stanek,Pressly.

TWS1986 and everyday eddie like this.