1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Floyd Murder Trial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Major

Major Member

This is the problem when people try to cite statistics about black crime or the # of police brutality incidents, etc. Anything that is not on video has a 0% chance of a black victim's story being listened (oftentimes, that's true even when it's clearly on video!). So all those stats are meaningless when it's just basically the police's version of those incidents in every case - whether it involved police actions or even just incidents between individuals of different races, and the officers favoring the non-black person's story. How many other George Floyd situations have happened over the years that were non-controversial because they weren't on video and everyone just accepted the official story?

#941 Major, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This happens to white people too. Cops are equal opportunity killers.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

Absolutely - but minorities deal with the double situation of being on the losing on of both the police interactions and the victim interactions. Take the bird watcher in Central Park, for example. If not for the video, there's no question the cops would have believed the white woman over the black man. We all laugh at the "Karen" videos, but they expose an ugly underbelly of society - these people didn't suddenly pop out of nowhere. It's just that no one filmed them before doing all their crazy stuff and they got away with it.

mdrowe00, leroy and jiggyfly like this.
  5. rockbox

I agree that Black people and Hispanics are targeted more, but the death numbers are not out of line with the police interaction and arrest numbers. Police don't kill people because they are racists. The kill people because they suck at their job. However, they do interact with Blacks and Hispanics more often, mostly because their are more poor Blacks and Hispanic, which in turn creates more criminals, which in turn reinforces existing prejudices. It's a bad cycle.

#945 rockbox, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    JumpMan and jiggyfly like this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So nearly half of Republicans are racists? You couldn't have watched that trial and come up with a logical reason to say Chauvin was innocent. That smug defiant look towards bystanders pleading for George's life, with his hands in his pockets and knee on the neck of a man not breathing will forever be etched in my mind.

7. rockbox

It's not a race thing. Half of Republicans just think that cops have the right to kill people when you break the law and resist arrest regardless of the situation.

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Might be a bit of both actually. It might depend on the color of the person you are talking about being killed.

FrontRunner, Reeko and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

saying it’s not a race thing is naive...they believe the cops can do all that stuff as long as it’s disproportionately affecting minorities

cops killed 1 insurgent that was storming the Capitol, and they were all up in arms...meanwhile, cops were brutalizing protesters all summer and they didn’t care

Andre0087, mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  10. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm not naive, I'm pretty sure most of them who think Chauvin was justified are racist.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

wasn’t referring to your post as naive deb, I know u know what’s up with these Republicans

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@StupidMoniker

jiggyfly, ElPigto and deb4rockets like this.
  13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m really trying to get this out so bear with me people

14. Roc Paint

When did we stop listening to the freaking authority. Sounds to me like a bunch of fatherless ****s

I guarantee every last one of you that’s the biggest problem in America right now

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

When did authority start murdering - in broad daylight, in some cases - the citizens it’s sworn to protect? George Floyd did not deserve his fate.

16. Roc Paint

Please don’t come at me because I love George Floyd

17. Buck Turgidson

Sometime shortly after 1764

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, if the police tell you that you did something wrong and you don't think you did, you're just going to listen?

If a municipality tells you there is something wrong with your business and closes you down, even though you disagree, you're just going to do it?

If a teacher gives you an unfair grade, you're just going to take it?

If a referee or umpire blows a call, you're going to accept it?

The biggest problem in America is the huge rift between the right and the left. Both sides are unwilling to concede their positions. Neither side even wants to listen and understand the other sides position and respectfully disagree. The animosity keeps getting worse and folks feel like they have to attack the other side to build their side up.

Andre0087 and jiggyfly like this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Authority never respected us and it is more evident now that we have cameras with us to film when they are out of line.

I respect everyone, but at the same time, I don't believe in allowing cops to infringe on my rights just because they feel like it. The cops need to know their limits and not disrespect us either. I sure as hell don't want to enable them to continue having the same power just because I should comply to avoid confrontation. That's ****ing stupid.

Andre0087 and mdrowe00 like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To note George Floyd did comply and didn't resist when he was initially taken into custody. He only started to act on when he was being put into the squad car. To emphasize again while he wasn't compliant he was already cuffed with three LEO on him. As has been proven definitively LE have a standard of care for those in custody that Chauvin didn't meet. This wasn't a matter of whether you should comply or not but that under custody LEO still have to be concerned about your safety.

Also compliance and non-resistance doesn't guarantee survival in an encounter with LEO as Philando Castille complied and was still shot.

mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.