1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] Falcon and Winter Soldier

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 29, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I predicted
    the boat would be fixed

Kim, Xerobull and robbie380 like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, that was... not great. Disney lucked out in having to release WandaVision first, because that was a far superior show (even with its meh finale).

I don't know why Bucky is suddenly a **** hand to hand combat guy after previously being equal to Steve Rodgers. That is weird. Dude was getting thrown around by some soccer moms who took the serum. Wtf.

Overall, it was a sloppy and poorly written show. Also very heavy-handed in its messaging - suggests to me they think little of their audience so they feel compelled to spell everything out repeatedly.

Maybe it was a 6/10. Did a great job of planting seeds for future stories and did have some interesting elements (Zemo, Bradley). But yeah, I was expecting more from the show.

Entropy, robbie380 and Jontro like this.
  3. dookiester

dookiester Member

they really struggled with consistently handling character abilities. walker not being able to easily demolish karli one-on-one was completely unbelievable, especially after sam and bucky had to double team him. i thought the series was stronger overall than wandavision, in part because wandavision set itself up like it was going to have some huger implication by bringing x-men quicksilver into the universe, only for it to mean nothing. but this finale was worse than the wandavision finale.

Jontro and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Falcon got it wrong. I was thinking about it after the re-watch.

He said Captain America ran 13 miles in about 30 minutes. But if you track Falcon's path he ran from the MLK memorial to the Jefferson to the Lincoln to the US Capitol in about 30 minutes, getting passed by Captain American essentially 3 times. The Falcon went about 4.6 miles in half an hour. so he was pace for 3-4 hour marathon at best. About right. In order for Captain America to complete a full lap he would have to run at least 9.2 miles to circle back around Falcon. probably more. But at least that. If he passed the Falcon 3 times it meant he ran at least 27 miles in 30 minutes.

theoretically the Cap has been Clocked in the universe at 70 mph according to the wicki. In the Winter Soldier he was running at about that speed arounf the US grounds. At least 54 mph at minimum by my rough estimate. So his clock time is correct in the movie, but the Falcon got the math wrong.

Make of that what you will.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Did anyone not care about Karli at all? Or was it just me? The Flag Smashers and the concept of "one world, one people" was a great primary antagonist, but it just felt like super small stakes at the end. Like another poster said, they were supposed to be this hyped up, very strong organized group...but you cut off the head (Karli) and suddenly, the whole org crumbles? Come on.

@DreamShook hit it on the head with the "corniest line ever" statement. And since when did people ever refer to Falcon as "Black Falcon?" Sounds like they really tried to shoehorn that term into this show, and it definitely doesn't work.

Felt like Marvel tried to be a SJW or whatever the term is, with that speech Sam had to the senators at the end, there. Not sure why they tried to incorporate that stuff in.

And as Bucky and Sam were walking away from that exact spot to talk to a bleeding Sharon, Walker (mask off) just walks by literally everyone and no one bats an eye or says anything? I get the camera's focus was on Sam and Bucky so that the audience would focus on them and not on Walker walking away, but sheeeesh. Seems like an oversight.

tinman likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

blek captain falcon's speech was kinda cringe. that finale felt like rise of the skywalker, everything jam packed at the last minute and given a hasty resolution.

dunno why they made the season very short. could've made it at least a 15 episode season to really flesh everything out.

Entropy and tinman like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m glad the boat got fixed so they throw a coors and seafood party at the end

Xerobull and Jontro like this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My issue with the speech was that it was just blah/corny. Great so you have a moral message you want to deliver and your message is summed up by repeating "do better" a few times....just lame. It's the same canned phrase you hear from some activist types thinking they are conveying a significant message when they are really just saying nothing. Why would the senator be magically charmed over to Captain America's side after some people that he views as terrorists just tried to kill him and his associates? Just because Captain America told him to "do better"? Come on man...

The moral equivalency of everyone can be viewed as a terrorist fell flat too. They spent the entire show turning the flagsmashers into an evil group with abhorrent morality and then at the end Captain America turns around and leaves room to justify them. I get it and it's a common message to say one person's terrorist is another person's hero, but they made them the bad guys the entire show and the part at the end with the Powerbroker and Karli seemed to show they never had great morals. The whole end was just poorly thrown together IMO. Karli was also just a terrible villain.

Oh and the shield getting knocked out of the air by a chair? What the **** was that ****?

Entropy, Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I felt like they dealt with race from the past and present in a reasonable way up until this last episode. I agree with everyone that the speech was corny, poorly written, but he shouldn't have had a long speech to begin with. The whole point of superheroes is that they SHOW people how to do the right thing with their actions. He shouldn't have said more than a couple lines after getting Karli to the emt. I think the audience can get their point on race dynamics and post snap culture through action.

I will say though that they couldn't avoid race in this story altogether. It's a part of the story arcs in the comics. It would otherwise be pointless to have falcon become Cap or show Isaiah if you weren't going to explore that. And also, just practically, Cap being black would at least be a "thing", a topic of discussion, within their fictional world at least in the way it was when there was a black president.

Kim likes this.
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ugh, no.... Vanilla Karli and the Flag Smashers were about as generic and boring as you can get. I think that was the intent but it missed on impact. It was Karli, the Asian guy and then some background people from The Office. zzzz

Kevin Fiege said that based on the data and stories they are telling, six hours is what they like to keep their series to. WandaVision was also 6 hours total.

I felt like this one could have been five. Lots of blah blah filler in the last two episodes.

#270 Xerobull, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Jontro and tinman like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

So winter soldier fought Black panther
    But has problems with the face mask scrubs and Annie ?
    Yeah okay
    Same with walker who was a combat hero

BigM, Entropy and Jontro like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

If I wanted a better race relations speech
    I would just listen to Michael Jackson Man in the Mirror or Black or White
    His speech was cornier than a Scooby Doo ending

Entropy and Jontro like this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Winter Solider forgetting how to fight was odd.

I enjoyed the show. But I also don’t get my panties in a bunch over tv shows pushing an agenda. But I understand there are little b****es out there that like to complain about everything.

dobro1229 and BigM like this.
  14. Beezy

Beezy Member

Proto adamantium shield defeated by a stacking chair from Staples. I LOL'd hard at that.

tinman and Haymitch like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I enjoyed it

Rocket River

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

They never showed the boat going out to water
    Just implied it worked and caught enough shrimp for the party

Rocket River and Kim like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yeah, cause white people have nothing to change when it comes to race. It is all Black, Brown, Asian, Arabs, etc...over sensitivity towards white people's words and actions that has caused the problems for hundreds (a thousand) years.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought it was fine. More compelling than 99.7% of everything else on TV. I'm not exactly watching these shows expecting Breaking Bad.

dobro1229, Kim and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m only a few episodes in but it’s boring. Also Bucky was a complete badass in winter soldier but they nerfed him to trash. Is there a reason for this? Wanda vision was much better.

Entropy and tinman like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's a tv trope where any hero dealing with mental issues turn into trash. Netflix mined that bigly in their marvel shows by padding out episodes with that crap.

::shrugs::

BigM likes this.