1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Landry's Tooth

Check out the #2 picks some of those years..

Marvin Bagley
    Jabari parker
    Hasheem thabeet

Yikes...

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Right and that's the trend I've seen--the #2 picks are often used on guys that were perceived to have had the next highest ceiling after the guy that went first (Ayton, Wiggins, Blake Griffin) and not used on guys that were actually more complete players coming out of college or international play. Often teams in the 3rd slot are picking best player available and not highest ceiling/hype available.

Corrosion likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd be tempted to trade that last FRP 26th overall + Avery Bradley to Pelicans for their 4 SRP in the upcoming draft.

Then draft the following:

6'10 Vrenz Bleijenbergh - 7'2 wingspan 39% 3P

6'5 Scottie Lewis - elite defender 34% 3P 1.4 STL 1.2 BLK

6'3 Bones Hyland - elite scorer

7'1 Ibou Badji - 7'8 wingspan

Or use 26th overall to draft Vrenz Bleijenbergh and trade Avery Bradley for 2nd and draft Scottie Lewis or Bones Hyland.

Sign Badji to 2 way as UDFA.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You pretty much need a Top 5 player and another who is Top 15-20 to have a chance at an NBA championship. There are a very few exceptions--like a Top 1 guy who is way above everyone else or a team of guys in the Top 50--but not enough that anyone would bet a career on building one of those exceptions.

5. Landry's Tooth

My feeling, to put it another way, is to pass on Ben Simmons to take Jaylen brown if I'm being compensated with multiple draft assets while doing so...

Don't know if those players are in this draft or not, but it's something to consider...

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Probably not, but like with any trades, I would just say depends on what the offer is. If you can get a pick you like as well, or almost as well, AND an upgrade at another position or player with strong potential, I wouldn't rule it out.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

As the saying goes, its a process. Even with a whole slew of #1 picks, it took the 76ers a while...and they still haven't really done anything yet (but looking good this year).

Especially from where the Rockets currently are, I don't think you really shoot for championship. You shoot for solid core you can continue to build around. Once that is done, and you see how your earlier picks pan out, then you start building for the next level.

Except for a small group of teams at the top, it's all about just getting better each year. You do that often enough...then you're in position to challenge at the top.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That would require a transcendent talent to be at #1 this year for a team to trade us a ton of assets to move up to #1....like a Tim Duncan, LeBron James, etc type of player. Even then the Rockets would be foolish to pass up on said player to get back assets as they need every great talent they can get.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets get 4th pick and Cade-Green-Mobley off the table then trade down between 6th and 10th, add another high lottery first in 2022 and 2021 SRP.

Draft 6'9 Scottie Barnes (or 6'9 Jalen Johnson) with top 10 pick.

Draft 6'11 Kai Jones with Portland FRP.

Draft 6'10 Vrenz Bleijenbergh with Bucks FRP.

With the 2 SRP, draft 6'5 defensive dynamo Scottie Lewis (was called next Kobe coming out of HS) and 6'3 sniper Bones Hyland.

Sign 7'1 Ibou Badji (7'8 wingspan) as 2 way player.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tre Mann and Miles McBride are studs.

If Rockets didnt have guards flooding out of every pore, I'd consider one of them with Bucks pick.