1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ out til Sunday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 21, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is 20, and his career is hanging by a thread.

JR Rider says hello !

DD

#41 DaDakota, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

If he's old enough to go die for his country then seeing some t*tties doesn't make him a bad person in my eyes.

Denovo, xiki, Mathloom and 2 others like this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kevin Porter Jr is a Hero in Saving Sterling Brown.

Sterling will owe his life to Kevin.

Both made a bad decision to go out.

The 1990s Rockets always did this but those dudes were huge nobody tried to fight them.

Carl Herrera, Otis Thorpe, Robert Horry all are 6'8, Thorpe and Herrera are massive.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is a good point. Being a professional means doing things that won't destabilize your career. I don't think this is completely a problem, but maybe being out until 6 in the morning will turn into trouble from time to time. I don't judge either guy over what they were doing, just the when, the knowing league rules, and breaking them.

Covid rules are weird for everyone. Gotta be smart, but being your normal self is breaking the rules now. It's tough to condemn either guy. Also, get a personal guard for your entourage if you're going to be out flashing cash late at night with fewer witnesses awake to see what's happening. Also enquire as to whether or not Kelly Olynyk has a brother, half brother, a cousin, or if he knows someone named Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris would be the perfect body guard.

xiki, Plowman and Hank McDowell like this.
  5. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Drexler needs to lecture the entire team about being consummate professionals.

The only reason KPJ got caught up in this is because he decided to save Brown. They arent snitching on the other guys. What he did was both stupid and brave.

The other players that were there do need to step forward and take responsibility. I dont blame KPJ any more than any of the other guys. Enough of this bs. This is where the culture change needs to start. How do you think Pop would react to any of the Spurs doing this?

tinman likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

My biggest question after all the facts came out is where are the "mature" guys on the team that are supposed to be mentoring KPJ? Then I realize that in the real world professional athletes go to strip clubs. Just a way of life and as bad a decision as it was I wouldn't be surprised if they did this in every city they visit. KPJ isnt even 21 and they were out partying until 7AM before a 6PM tipoff! Is KPJ expected to be the guy saying "cmon guys we have a game need to cut the night short"??

Momma always told me that 'nothing good happens after midnight' and she has always been right. As a 40something old dude I wont let the grumpy old man shake a fist at a 20 year old knowing damn well I did that and then some at their age. It reminds me how far this team needs to go to have proper leadership among the players.

Easy, Bo6, dobro1229 and 1 other person like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This. This team doesn't have leadership. I don't know if Wall was with them but I doubt it. Wall might be selfish on the court but he seems like a more responsible person especially given his age than most of the other guys on the roster. KPJ needs to hang out with him and Silas needs to put his foot down on stopping partying during early dawn hours during a gameday.

KPJ at his age is going to be a follower. But it's sad to know he isn't super special like someone like Kobe was at his age in terms of mental maturity. Kobe gave a story of when he was 20 and how his teammates would go out partying and they egged him on to go with him and Move was like "nah" and just was at the gym while they went out working on his game. That's what makes someone great. Excessive dedication.

#47 fchowd0311, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Verbal Christ and dobro1229 like this.
  8. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I like it. KPJ leading the team. Respek

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I like your point about KPJ being a follower at his age, and that's an important point about maturity with rebuilding teams. If Lebron was on this team, do we think this would have happened? Even Harden who actually frequents strip clubs?

IMO no because if you have a peer influencer like a Lebron or even a Harden you are just naturally going to follow their lead in the team social dynamic. If they went out and Lebron was with them, you'd have much better "nightlife infrastructure" around you to where something like this just wouldn't happen.

I think when we traded for KPJ it was obvious that he was immature, and wasn't a gym rat like Kobe. That was the reason why he was essentially free. That's what you are going to get when you are rebuilding. Even if you get a #1 draft pick, there's no guarantees they will be a Kobe like personality and not a KPJ like personality. Even if they were gym rats in school at Kentucky or Kansas there's no telling how they'll behave once they get those 6 figure checks.

So moving forward I'd like to see a couple vets added to the roster that sort of have the ability to be peers for some of these guys, but have enough experience socially to know how to avoid getting bottles smashed over your head at The Booby Trap at 7AM. Old farts like John Lucas don't have the same affect as a true peer. I even think a guy like Kendrick Perkins when he was with OKC with all those youngsters. What a terrible player at that point, but he must have been invaluable socially for these guys. Going into this Summer Stone really should pay ALOT of attention not just to the talent he's going to have next season but really understanding how to better align that social dynamic.

So Saith Red and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'm glad KPJ is stepping up for his teammates but really disappointed that "our culture" is partying till 7AM and having a game at 6pm.

Like if you're still drinking till 6am how you gonna be prepped to play a NBA game. Like comon. Even I'm not drinking the day before my Co-ed League Soccer games on Sunday......

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I wonder how DJ Augustine and Olynyk are? They've been in the league for a long time and aren't ultra talented which means they have been in the league that long due to strong work ethic. Those two could be those veterans we need as you mentioned. But I'm not sure if KPJ even interacts with them at all off the court.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I don't think Olynyk is going to be viewed as a peer mentor to someone like KPJ. Seems like a guy who might be more interested in checking out the Arcade Fire concert instead of what the majority of the team is into. (I say that as someone who loves Arcade Fire).

One name I've been interested in for this upcoming free agency is Montrezl Harrell. He might be a good big for the rotation and complement Wood, and might fit in well socially. Basketball wise I'm really afraid that Tillman is going to push to sign Blake Griffin, but socially could be a good player for the dynamic of the team.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are conflating things, I am not against that - just that he is TRYING to find an NBA career and this is probably his last chance, he should try to make better decisions.

If he were 21, and established this would not bother me so much.

He should be fined.

DD

Bo6 likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Reality 101 is that a team cannot go strictly with ‘kids’. Teams need older guys, too. Experienced, knowing the NBA’s ropes.

Easy, Verbal Christ and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. conquistador#11

I really think this was the case with the Astros and now with the Rockets.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's not about the going to the club -- it's about having Josh Gordon level talent and a brain to match.

DCkid, Bo6 and Easy like this.
  17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

no one is saying this. if you show up drunk to your job do you think your employer would like that?

i dont give a flying **** what you do in the off-season or free time. but these guys are getting paid stupid amounts of money to play a game for a few months out of the year they should be expected to keep their noses clean. pun intended.

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Married Athletes going to Strip Clubs will break a marriage.

I bet "Franchise Guy" John Wall is one of those "Leader" that is setting a bad example.

I have no doubt John Wall went to the Strip Club.

19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kobe Bryant still messed around with Women outside his marriage.

Shaq paid off his women to keep quiet.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He shows heart

I like it