1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Floyd Murder Trial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2021.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I really think that if Arradondo isn't police chief, Chauvin (and the others) doesn't get fired. Janee Harteau probably would have shared the same opinion but I'm not sure she was ready to take on the union head on the way Arradondo has.

You almost need an adversarial police chief to make any progress in breaking the union. A big part of the prosecution was getting officers to testify against Chauvin which may not have happened if Arradondo hadn't been so firm.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible but remember Mohammed Noor was fired and charged under Hartaeu.

I agree that Arradondo is more willing to take on the union and likely even without the video Chauvin still would've been fired and charged. I think there would've been protests that would've gotten his attention but I don't think they would've happened the next day and not nearly as large.

The video was that compelling that it turned George Floyd's death into something much more than just a Minneapolis thing.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

right, but again the it would have taken the bodycam footage to be leaked for it not to be swept under the rugs.

If there were no l body cam footage, or cell phone video, it would have been the witness's words against the cops. We all know how that goes usually.

mdrowe00 and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

oh I thought you knew what it was.

I’m white and I couldn’t begin to describe “white culture”. There are so many different types of people that fall under that “white” umbrella. You couldn’t possibly boil it all down to one thing, especially something as silly as emulating a rockwell painting. To do so would be stereotyping an entire race of people. Now, I was taught to never do that. We are taught, from an early age, that it’s racist to do that. I don’t care which people you are minimizing, it’s always gonna be wrong. It’s always gonna be racist.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you want to get technical the Irish and Italians did face systemic racism but the irony is there are many descendants of prejudiced minorities such as the two I said that now are attacking darker-skinned minorities!

It's absolutely bonkers.

mdrowe00 and DVauthrin like this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

wait... Who is “attacking” darker skinned minorities?

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't necessarily mean physically attacking through some proud boys did do that. I mean more as in being defensive about Black Lives Matter and supporting making voting harder.

8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Plug “racist attack” into a Google search and tell us the results.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Well said. Anyone can be the victim of racism, sexism, jingoism, etc. However, to act like certain groups haven’t had it much worse and aren’t still trying to overcome decades of discrimination that held them back (African Americans - racism; Women - sexism, especially in the workplace) is just intellectually dishonest.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yup. I knew it would happen. My Facebook news feed is spammed with Ben Shapiro and Alan Dershowitz claims of a mistrial and how "things" have taken hostage of our nation and justice system.

That's right, poor black people control the justice system. Man so many of my former peers are so ****ing out of touch with reality.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

2 black ladies beating the snot out of an asian woman is where that took me. So is that your point?

Racism can come from anyone. It’s unchecked on this message board too.

12. fchowd0311

Racism comes in more forms than just violent attacks.

"Median Value of Wealth by Race FF(03.11.2019) | Tax Policy Center" https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/fiscal-fact/median-value-wealth-race-ff03112019

^ that is a result of racism also and that type of racism has multigenerational effects at the systemic level that produces more outcomes of crime and violence.

glynch likes this.
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

sure but I was told to do a google search. That is what came up. The one guys extremely myopic take on “white culture” is jaw droppingly ignorant and racist.

14. fchowd0311

Imagine Black people hearing that the 1000% wealth gap between the median white household and median black household is a consequence of "black culture" and not just from fringe outlets but mainstream conservative polticians and news outlets like Fox News. That is a commonenly held opinion by conservatives and GOP voters in this country.

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Fine. Does that mean people can be openly racist? And stop bringing up Fox news. You keep doing that. I don’t watch it. I doubt they would put every black person under one “black culture” umbrella. Even they know you can’t do that.

16. fchowd0311

No, "they" and I mean GOP voters tend to blame the massive wealth gap between the two races on black culture. Fox News is a mainstream outlet listened to and trusted by millions of Americans. These are common sentiments I'm referring to.

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

And how does this excuse the racist comment that I addressed?

18. fchowd0311

I'm making the point that one type of racism has massive generational effects.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

But your point is arbitrary to my point.

Somebody made a racist statement. I acknowledged that it was racist. The housing gap created years ago (or whatever you are always on about) does not apply to ordinary everyday decency. Believe me, if I see a racist comment directed at black, hispanic, or asian people here I will call that out too. But you know, it never comes up.

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Undeniably. @glynch was arguing that Floyd shouldn't have been detained. That was why I was talking about it. Not because of something the prosecutor said.
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Usually it is done when the officers determine there is some elevated risk. One factor they consider is the occupant of the vehicle moving around inside the vehicle or not rolling down the window when the officer is approaching.
    No, it is done for safety in a situation where officer's see and elevated risk. One might, for example, see a large intoxicated man that was acting startled and excited. Multiple subjects is another risk factor. Most commonly, you won't see handcuffs in detention, but it is not rare.
    No one said otherwise. It is not at all uncommon for the police to isolate people in different police vehicles for questioning. His resistance occurred when he was being moved to the police SUV.
    If they were arresting him at that point, it would be because they had probable cause to believe a crime had been committed. Multiple probably, because it was quite clear he was under the influence.
    I never said you had to detain someone with handcuffs.
    They perceived a higher risk stop.
    Until they were trying to place him in a police vehicle, yes.
    Probably because he was a big guy that was high and acting erratically.
    Patrol officers do simple preliminary investigations in every case. They question witnesses. They collect gross physical evidence if appropriate (like a counterfeit $20 bill). I have read literally thousands of police reports by patrol officers that contain their investigation. The vast majority of cases are never turned over to detectives. You are just wrong.
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
    Then you are misinterpreting me. Detaining someone means you CAN handcuff them, it may or may not be followed by or contemporaneous with being arrested.
    I do not think he was resisting from the get go, nor did I say so.
    No. If that were what I was trying to say, that is what I would say.
    It is neither. This is what is known as a false dichotomy. I have seen the video. I am not making anything up. You have a very limited understanding of police procedure that doesn't match reality.