1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade/Mobley/Green fits moving forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Apr 20, 2021.

1. mightybosstone

That's why I don't understand the lack of love for him in this thread. Outside of Cade, Suggs feels like the surest player in this draft to end up as an above average starter at the NBA level. He's a phenomenal two-way player, athletic, clutch and has all the intangibles you want in a franchise player. Is his ceiling as high as the other guys? Maybe not. But his floor is definitely higher, and if you're the Rockets, you NEED to hit on this draft pick if you get to keep it. Suggs feels like a slam dunk pick to me.

D-rock likes this.
  2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I remember people saying all these things about Jabari Parker, who was taken just ahead of Joel Embiid in 2014. Man, you just never know...

Dubious, D-rock and bmelo like this.
  3. mightybosstone

I don't remember anyone saying Parker was an excellent defender. I recall that being a pretty big weakness for him going into the draft. To me, that's what makes Suggs a safe pick. There's always a place on rosters for good rebounding, defensive guards like Suggs who can attack the basket on offense. I agree with you, though, that there is no such thing as a 100% safe pick in the NBA. There's always a gamble.

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I thought Embiid fell because team afraid of his injury history. After Oden, team were afraid to draft big man with injury problem. After Embiid didn't play in his first year, those team were happy they didn't draft him.

D-rock and groovemachine like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

That was never the case. Embiid’s injury history was the main flag on him.

saleem likes this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

While the board wants to use this thread to debate need vs. BPA or talent vs. fit, this is the type of post I intended this thread to prompt. Perhaps I was not clear in the OP. Thanks.

As for Wall. Does anyone think that he could be unloaded at the deadline next season using just the Wash and Det picks? I would do that in an instant to clear the way for KPJ and Cade (if that is who the Rockets are able to draft). Maybe they could move Gordon for an additional pick to add to the Wall deal?

Corrosion, D-rock and Shark44 like this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Don’t really want safe pick. Want the pick with the highest probability to be a top5 -10 player in the league In The league. You get a top 3 pick you have to shoot for the stars

D-rock likes this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

9. mightybosstone

I don't think you're sacrificing a lot, though, in terms of potential by taking Suggs in that 2-4 range. The ceilings of Mobley, Green and Kuminga are not so much greater than Suggs as to make him a reach. I've seen numerous mock drafts and prospect rankings slotting him in that 2-3 spot.

10. dmoneybangbang

I'm not seeing this super high ceiling for Green and Suggs, more so the former since there's both an offensive and defensive aspect. I wouldn't be upset at taking Suggs at #2 over Green and Mobley though.

I'd still like to move Wall regardless, but I'd be a little more willing if we draft a ball handler like Cade, Green, or Suggs.

11. sydmill

sydmill Member

Absolutely agree. The ends I am willing to go to move John Wall change based on who the future franchise player appears to be. If they come away from the draft with Mobley or Kuminga I might be a little more inclined to keep Wall around (or at least not expend as many assets in getting rid of him). If it is Cade, Green or Suggs I would be much more inclined to use valuable assets to open up minutes and opportunities for that player.

Corrosion, 18pbr and D-rock like this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Thanks Syd, I thought they was what you were trying to engage on.

The longer we have Wall, he stays healthy and his contract shortens the greater chance Stone can find a trade for him. So your question seems legit that next year's trade deadline may offer more opportunity and suitors for John. I'd still love to dump him this summer, but that's probably wishful thinking.

A Gordon transaction would likely have to be separate given the aggregation of their two contracts is enormous. His value has tanked with another injury and doubt his bloated contract will be very attractive without offsetting compensation.

Corrosion and 18pbr like this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

I think regardless, it will be prohibitive to trade Wall until next year's mid season deadline.

I also think regardless of pick, we are still in a rebuilding phase where we just need talent. If we get Cade and Suggs, I would still look to upgrade the guard spot/ball handler past Wall and Augustin. Not saying I think it's good idea to draft two guard, but I wouldn't automatically stop looking to upgrade a spot because we get a guard or center with our top 4 pick.

14. sydmill

sydmill Member

With Cade I would be looking at 3 & D perimeter players and rim running big guys. I like Charles Bassey and Marcus Bagley with those picks in the 20s. A couple of guys I am high on in the second round are Nah'Shon Hyland and Joe Wieskamp. If Stone can score a second rounder, either guy would be great coming off the pine shooting.

18pbr likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

** imagine Mobley and KJM on defense?

D-rock and Shark44 like this.
  16. H.D.

H.D. Member

You thought correctly- Embiid prior to injury was in "generational talent" evaluation-land.

D-rock and groovemachine like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

You had me until Kuminga.

I'd rather draft Scottie Barnes over Kuminga. Or trade down slightly while adding more assets for 2022 draft.

I like Kai Jones over Kuminga too.

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

2nd rounders I'd love:

6'9 Greg Brown
    6'10 Charles Bassey
    6'2 Miles McBride
    6'3 Bones Hyland
    6'6 Terrence Shannon
    6'5 Scottie Lewis
    6'8 Gui Santos
    6'9 Amar Sylla
    6'7 Terrence Clarke
    6'7 Herb Jones
    7'1 Ibou Badji
    6'10 Vrenz Bleijenbergh
    6'6 Yves Pons
    6'8 Rai'Quan Gray
    6'1 Max Abmas
    6'5 Quentin Grimes
    6'8 Kessler Edwards
    6'4 Juhann Begarin
    6'6 Aaron Henry
    6'5 Marcus Garrett
    6'6 Allen Flannigan

UDFA: 6'5 Keyontae Johnson (injured), 6'8 Khalifa Diop, 6'8 Marcus Bagley, 6'9 Chris Smith (injured), 6'10 Mousa Cisse, 6'9 Derrick Alston, 6'6 Aaron Wiggins, 6'7 Isaiah Livers

18pbr likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I completely agree with the rest of this post .... but when it comes to Wall , I think we have to realize that we're stuck with him up to the deadline next season at the soonest and it probably costs you two #1 picks to dump him then.

That player option for 22/23 for $47.3m is a cap killer.

More likely is that he spends all of next year as a Rocket and is moved at the 22/23 trade deadline ....

I don't like watching him chuck up 20+ shots a night either .... but this season its delivering the desired results - Another L.

Next year , with the safe assumption that they are again an early lottery team , no sense attaching assets to dump his contract when it becomes an asset itself at the next trade deadline (22/23) and that's when you can attach assets to it to bring back a guy worthy of that supermax .... or simply let it expire and go into FA in 23 with $70+ million to spend.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Is that Green or Kuminga ?