1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Floyd Murder Trial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2021.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I hope this is the start of a new day in racial injustice and police reform.......I have my doubts, but I am hopeful. People like MTG and TC wear there white supremacy ideology for all to see and it sickens me and they get away with it because of the Trump Base....but I digress. The next trial in Mn will be a big test, curious to see how this goes but I wonder if the officer is now considering a plea deal, the case is not the same but the result was

DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks appreciate it.

I was talking to one of my neighbors as we were standing watch that we had a case with overwhelming evidence on one side, argued very skillfully by prosecution and a verdict that looking back makes sense that so many up until the verdict was read not many believed that it would turn out that way. Also that many including myself were still apprehensive even after the verdict. That showed how far we still have to go.

DVauthrin, Amiga, Andre0087 and 5 others like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The biggest takeaway for me from this trial isn't whether LEO can detain you for minor offenses but that while in custody they need to exercise a standard of care.

I don't recall the prosecution arguing much that Floyd shouldn't have been detained but they hammered that once he was he was in the care of the LEO. Just because you're detained even if you're not compliant still means LEO have to be concerned about your safety.

DVauthrin, Amiga, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you DETAIN by pulling your handgun out and knocking on the window?

Do you have to put handcuffs on to DETAIN and ask questions or issue the citation like the regular procedure.

He never resisted the initial detention the video shows he was compliant when handcuffed and they left him by himself against the wall before they even put him in the vehicle the 1st place.

Why did they want to arrest him over a 20 dollar bill that they had not even officially found out was a counterfeit?

You are leaving out a lot of what actually happened and what's supposed to happen to form a narrative, you don't have to DETAIN somebody with handcuffs and this is usually not a arrestable offense.

Again I ask why was the officers gun drawn initially to ask questions about possible counterfeiting?

It was overkill from the beginning.

DVauthrin, deb4rockets and ROCKSS like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He did not "resist" until he had been placed into the police vehicle.

Why was but in handcuffs during the investigation when it was a misdeamenor at most?

As I have shown you and you ignored again the investigation is not done by the police its done by detectives the policy is to gather the evidence and submit it to detectives for the investigation.

When officers pull you on the side of the rode, they don't approach with a gun drawn and they do not cuff you while they investigate so I have no idea why that is relevant to this case.

You seem to think that detaining someone means you have to handcuff them or arrest them.

You also seem to think Floyd was "resisting" from the get go did you not see how they left him unattended for about 5 minutes handcuffed?

Are you trying to say he was handcuffed because he was resisting?

Either you have not seen the actual arrest video or you are just making stuff up as you go along to fit a narrative, which is it?

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I predict they both will get caught with their hand in the cookie Jar before to often, people like that are to dumb and to greedy to not get caught,

DVauthrin, ROCKSS and deb4rockets like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya the officers unnecessarily escalated the situation for what more tame and civilized countries would just write up a citation and a court date for and be done with it.

#887 fchowd0311, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Today is like Christmas Day. Watching these Alt-right losers REEEEEEE and talk about racism against white culture is hilarious. They are down so bad.

DVauthrin likes this.
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The initial charge is very much relevant here. This all started because of an alleged fake $20 bill??? You send 4 police cars to something like this? I find that to be absurb. I'll try to consider your point the next time I see 4 cops respond to a similar situation involving a white person who also "resists" over something this trivial. Somehow, those outcomes always end up differently. I know - I have personally witnessed white people curse, scream and walk away from police officers without being slammed to the ground with an officer planting his knee on their neck. And to your point about refusing to be detained or resisting, if you are a black citizen in this country, it doesn't matter what you do when confronted by armed police - you will be shot even if you comply with their "orders" - just ask Philando Castile.

deb4rockets and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I did not cheer this verdict nor do I believe that it marks the beginning of significant "change" in policing because for all intents it was a fluke. Had it not been for Darnella Frazier's video, this would have been the official record of the incident:
    upload_2021-4-21_10-1-51.png

Truth be told, that video was the only thing that prevented Chauvin from getting away with it. Notice that there was NO mention of his miscounduct - the cutting off of George Floyd's air supply for more than 9 minutes. MPD then issued a statement after Floyd's death where it noted his death to be the result of a "medical incident". This case flew under the radar until Darnella posted her video. Chauvin had documented issues of excessive force before this and I have no doubt he would still be a cop in MPD without that video evidence. That also explains to me why Chauvin's defense borrowed from the one used by the officers in the Rodney King trial because unfortunately it works.

mdrowe00, Reeko, apollo33 and 8 others like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

This is a point often missed. LEO job isn't to be judge, jury, executioner. There should be zero tolerance for crossing over. You cross over when you put someone lives at risk, resisted or not.

mdrowe00 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

what is “white culture”?

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Let's just be clear about some things. I generally agree with your points, but the case didn't fly under the radar.

1 day after the incident, yes, the police issued the medical incident statement, but they also released a statement saying the FBI was investigating.
    2 days after the incident the police chief called for charges.
    4 days after the incident Derek Chauvin was arrested.

That's a pretty quick timeline.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think it's some BS fantasy world of Norman Rockwell Paintings. It's more of a fascination with days before the civil rights movement.

16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The store clerk owner was put on high alert as well as other places frequented by Floyd. I doubt there was a counterfeit bill in the first place but a dessension outlet for his murder.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m white, and it disgusts me that other people that share my skin color try to act like white people are racially discriminated against anywhere near the level African Americans have been throughout the history of America. It’s ludicrous. Not all white people are racist, but those that are give all of us a bad name.

We weren’t the ones sold into slavery and the reason a “Separate but Equal” law was passed. We weren’t the ones not allowed to use the same water fountains as white people or not allowed to go to school with white people, etc.

#897 DVauthrin, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    mdrowe00, Reeko, REEKO_HTOWN and 3 others like this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya. A lot of right wingers make bad faith arguments misrepresenting "social justice" and claim that people like us(moderate to left leaning) believe "black people can't be racist". No, white people can definitely be victims of racism. However white people in the United States have not faced racism to the point where it effected their socioeconomic standing at a systemic level.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

All of that happened pretty quickly but Darnella Frazier's video was out in circulation too. I think that video played a very large role in how quickly things happened.

I'm not going to as far as to say that without the video Chauvin is never even fired but I think it would've taken a lot longer for this to happen.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right I mean maybe, but we don't know. There were a lot of witnesses to the event. The bodycam footage was going to get out.