1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Brown

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by VoR, Apr 21, 2021.

1. VoR

VoR Member

Before Shaka Smart needlessly flexed on the kid, Brown was looking like a top ten pick. If we can get him with pick number #25 or in the second round, I think he's a steal from bad chemistry with Shaka, which Shaka has a history of.

Yes yes. Lock thread ban account. Only the inner circle can start new threads.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  2. Rockets4Life13

6'9 athletic SF, decent(ish) 3. Looks pretty good from the stats. I have not seen him play.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

Hakeem Warrick = Stromile Swift = Tyrus Thomas = Greg Brown

Dubious likes this.
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Highlights:

I'm going to move this to the Draft forum...

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would take him late in the first round as a high risk/ high reward type of player. He's not Stromile Swift stupid, but he does some dumb stuff. Surely he can be coached up to somewhere nearer and dearer to his potential because his three pointer, fast leaping, excellent perimeter defense and active paint defense make him interesting without a doubt. His immaturity might get in the way of who he becomes though.

(I saw about 15-20 of his games this year including outplaying Cade Cunningham the first meeting)

6. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I haven't watched too much of Brown, but I know there are a bunch of UT fans here, so I'm curious if my thoughts resonate.

• Position and Role
      Looks like a modern PF that can occasionally play small ball 5. Really affects the paint with his explosive athleticism. Obvious lob threat. Has a developing shot, so I think he'll be able to occasionally stretch defenses and keep them honest. Limited perimeter skills, so I don't buy the SF projection right now.

• Perimeter skills
      For such an explosive and athletic guy, he likes to hang out around the 3 point line a bunch. His shot looks weird, but I don't think its broken. Bad vision and passing. Not a lot of shake in his movements, moves like a stiff when handling. More of straight line athlete, which should work fine with attacking closeouts. Awareness is bad, mental lapses on offense and defense.

• I think Brown has a easier, straightforward path to the NBA as a play finishing 4/5, kind of like Larry Nance Jr.. If he ends up on a team with great player development that prioritizes perimeter growth, Jerami Grant? Can see him going mid-late first round.

D-rock likes this.
  7. rocketseagles07

As a UT fan that loves Greg he isn't ready. He's going to most likely be a SF at the next level. He needs much better handle and a much better shot. He is effective, but none of it's clean. He has big potential and I'm almost always potential>production when it comes to evaluation. He's not ready though and I don't know if he will be. Poor mans Aaron Gordon

8. raining threes

Has Brown declared for the draft?

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with everyone saying that Greg isn't ready. He's very raw. Everything he did at Texas was based purely on athleticism and opposing defenses were able to very quickly figure out his limited moves and frustrate him. His attitude was a problem which was why Shaka marginalized him at the end of the season.

He would really benefit from another year of development in college, but I can't begrudge a young man from turning pro and getting paid if the option is there. It should tell you something that Brown went from being considered a top-10 pick to end-of-the-first-round.

10. Buck Turgidson

He's actually nothing like those first 3 guys. At all. Laughably not close.

He was a disappointment this year, never could slow the game down mentally and get in any sort of rhythm, and he deservedly got such inconsistent playing time. He would be a great guy to go back for his soph year under an actual coach, but...

If you can get him in the back end of the 1st round you do it.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  11. sydmill

sydmill Member

I like Brown's tools but he seems a little redundant with Kenyon Martin Jr. Like KMart, Brown would best be served by developing his handle and jumpshot. I think his tools would be maximized at the 3 but he doesnt currently have the skill to play on the perimeter. I see some Shawn Marion potential but he is a looooooonnng way from there. I think about him at 26 but definitely pull the trigger in round 2. He needs a year in the g league at least.

Rhay1 and D-rock like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Not a bad comparison at all, but remember Marion went to JUCO for 2 years before his 1 year at UNLV, and still couldn't shoot from outside until he had been in the NBA for a couple of years. Brown does have decent handles he just goes out of control too often, needs to let the game slow down in his head.

raining threes, D-rock and sydmill like this.
  13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm honestly kind of surprised considering how far his stock fell. I can't be mad that he'll get paid, but he won't be a top-10 pick like he was projected before the season.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think that was also a byproduct of Shaka’s “system,” or lack there of. Understand going for the money, especially with a coaching change but think he would have benefited tremendously from a year under Beard.

16. Buck Turgidson

Totally agree.

It's up to him now, all the talent in the world and if his head's right he can be a star. I'd love the Rockets to take him in the late first.

gucci888 and raining threes like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he has more potential and hops than Kenyon Martin Jr.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which Texas guy will have a better career in the NBA?

Kai Jones or Brown?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I agree with OP, I do think Brown has some serious potential and could be a good steal late in the draft. Im a UT fan and Shaka was very likable but just did nothing in terms of developing his young players. I really think with Beard coming in, Brown could have really upped his draft stock considerably with another year.

Regardless, with NBA coaching and development, he definitely is a great late round target. He didn't do much of note at UT this year but I certainly don't blame him for that.

gucci888 and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

6'9 version of KJ Martin?

Right now, that comp is fair.

But Brown has higher upside, once considered a top 10 pick before a poor season at UT where Smart had him play rotation with 3 other players.

But Brown also has ability to iso defend 1-5. Love KJ but he will never be able to do that without a significant growth spurt.

KJ best potential is to play 2/3, Brown best potential is 3/4/5.

#20 D-rock, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    gucci888 likes this.