1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ocasio-Cortez tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Aug 26, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The sooner we get artificial intelligence implemented in government the better

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yes I know all of that. Mitch though conducted abject, transparent manipulation of that timing.

As I stated one popular election won by the time Biden’s term is up in 32 years. Won an actual 3 of 8 last elections. The former manipulative actions by blocking Obama then with less time speeding up Trump’s 3rd nominee when had already had 2.

You then expect the other major party in the US not want to manipulate things as well? Get the absolute F*ck out of here. Don’t be so dense and naive to there not being some thought to that.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Obama would have had 3 if RBG would have retired when Obama gave his recommendation.

This is what happens when ideologues refuse to compromise.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Or if McConnell would have brought his nominee to a vote like he did Trump's.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What is an idea log?

6. Space Ghost

Then he would have 4. And the Republicans would want to pack the courts and the liberals would endlessly decry how unconstitutional and unethical it would be to pack the court.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You want to solve GOP extremism?

Already we are at a point where Democrat voters routinely outnumber GOP voters and what is preventing them consistently having majority control of the House at the very least is gerrymandering and voting supression measures such as fewer voting locations per capita in urban minority areas in Southeast States.

So reform the fillibuster to where it was before where a senator has to be present and continually speak, pass the HR1, pass a bill that federally bans gerrymandering districts, pack the courts and watch the current form of the GOP never gain a majority in the House and Senate ever again considering the demographic shifts in this country until they drastically change their rhetoric and policies more towards the center and be more inclusive of non-white Christian voters.

Democrats have the demographics to maintain power for a long time. The GOP has the power of state legislators with voting suppression and gerrymandering that allow them to be competitive in federal elections.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It is a special piece of wood that provides you with increased creativity. Also known as the muse branch.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

she seems to be using a pretty expansive definition of causation

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why do they have to try and tie everything up together.

By the end she made no sense.

Too clever by half.

I just don't understand, why?

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

At this point, its obvious that the entire "squad" is only there to say the most outrageous thing possible to see what sticks. Its a constant push to the left that they lead. Throw out an insane idea, get enough people that follow them like puppy dogs to agree on Twitter...plant a new flag a tiny bit further left. Its basically the same thing Trump did. All cut from the same cloth.

13. StupidMoniker

I stand corrected, this is a certified genius right here. Lack of healthcare is the cause of climate change.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sure.... better health care would lead to better digestion and less farting.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

She'd saying the persuit of profit above all else is a cause of climate change and that pursuit of profit also caused those other things she mentioned.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

#2456 J.R., Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  17. StupidMoniker

Is she? Really? I transcribed the video for you:
    Certainly she is saying that the pursuit of profit above all else is a cause of climate change. I even agree with her. She also says injustice is a cause of climate change. Maybe, maybe not, it depends on what she means by injustice. To combat this, she suggests legislation recognizing that the trampling of indigenous rights and racial justice is a cause of climate change (not the pursuit of profit). As support for this second idea, she says it is because we are allowing folks (read Republicans) to deny "ourselves" human rights and deny people the right to healthcare, the right to housing and education. So, she is explicitly tying healthcare to the trampling of indigenous rights and human rights being a cause of climate change, not that these are separate issues connected only by being born of the pursuit of profit. Maybe her genius extends to her use of the English language in a way my feeble brain cannot comprehend.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Man she used all the buzz words

19. Space Ghost

People call her stupid but she knows exactly how to use twitter. Lets just hope thats all she knows how to use.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not what she said at all no matter what she might have meant.

If she actually said that I would have no issue, this is not a Ted Talk.