1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Floyd Murder Trial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2021.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel bad for the store clerk who reported him honestly. You can bet he never expected to see George murdered over 20 dollars. It probably haunts him, even though he had no idea it would come to something so horrific.

ROCKSS, mdrowe00, jiggyfly and 8 others like this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Who’s the idiot calling everyone a racist in this thread?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Doh! Sarcasm - pass it on! :cool:

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My sister in Chitown says that he's not well. He looked really out of it that's for sure.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Such a crazy hypocrite! I mean she voted not to impeach the man who yelled Charge the Capitol!

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

The initial charge is largely irrelevant to the case except to inflame people's passions. Once Floyd started to resist, that was the basis for the rest of the encounter. It doesn't matter if the he knew the bill was fake or even if the bill really was fake. The police have a right to detain you if there is reasonable suspicion that you have committed an arrestable offense (even traffic matters). You do not have the option of refusing to be detained, and resisting is a new crime in and of itself. It doesn't matter if the initial detention was for forgery, speeding, jaywalking, or public intoxication.

Andre0087 and JumpMan like this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The fact that white trailer trash cheetoh finger bigoted people like green can open their mouth like thay is hilarious

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You seem like the most reasonable and factually based conservative here...and I agree with you.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think you understand what being facetious is.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Cops don't have the right to execute you. I don't think you seem to understand that fact. It seems like the medical examiner, other cops, and the people viewing the event seemed to understand that.

mdrowe00 and JayGoogle like this.
  12. noize

noize Contributing Member

I feel relieved but at the same we still have the sentencing that will go to the judge. I hope that will plays out well for the sake of Minnesota.

With that said Derek Chauvin can rot in his cell and I'm hoped that he had fun jotting down on his notepad of what little helped it did for his case.

DVauthrin and Reeko like this.
  13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m glad that justice was served, and Chauvin wasn’t above the law. I wish George Floyd was still alive instead, but at least the system got this one right.

Now, I hope that police departments across America are reformed for the better ASAP. These types of stories and incidents need to stop happening.

mdrowe00, ElPigto, BigM and 3 others like this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

There comes a point where you have to be human. He was obedient and calm before they tried to force him into the car. He was terrified. He pleaded that he was claustrophobic. You could see the look of fear on his face! You could hear him pleading. You have no idea how fears like that make people feel. It wasn't until then that he resisted.

Just think if they had tried other means to calm him, or transport him. This wasn't a guy who had just murdered someone on the street! This was 20 dollars, and he might have not even known the bill was fake. Maybe someone else ripped him off giving him those bills. He thanked the officer when he was pulled out of the car. He never called the officers names or anything like that. He said please and thank you. What did that get him?

Slammed to the ground, cuffed, and a knee to the neck with a bunch of officers using excessive and unnecessary force. Everything was calm before they decided to treat him like some murdering psychopath who couldn't be reasoned with, and who had been armed and dangerous. This whole situation was wrong from the start, and these kinds of cops are not serving and protecting citizens. These are the kinds of cops that give good cops a bad name.

#834 deb4rockets, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  15. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

When a thread gets to be longer than a few pages I typically start at the end and read backwards. I haven't gotten to the idiot you're referring to yet, as your post is one of the first I've read, but I have a few guesses that I'll keep to myself. (Guess the poster is mad that Chauvin was convicted???)

It's unfortunate that some around here think they're fooling anyone when they come in here regurgitating white supremacist talking points. Guess there's one in every crowd though...

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Lol. You’re right. It’s completely lost on me. I don’t understand facetiousness. Don’t try to cover for his racism, you have yours to deal with too.

17. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

I'm a libertarian, not a conservative, but thank you. :)
    None of that has anything to do with my post, but thank you for trying to educate me.
    Ironically, if they had ignored his fears and just closed the door and left him in there, they wouldn't all be on trial.
    [quote[Just think if they had tried other means to calm him, or transport him.[/quote]
    They were super calming to him. They offered to roll down the window, they offered to turn on the air. They offered to sit with him. They were putting him into an SUV, so that is already one of the biggest police cars. I suppose they could have brought the transport wagon that they use to move multiple people, but I think you would quickly see every person complaining of claustrophobia if that became common practice.
    My original point was that this is irrelevant. The street is not where a trial happens. The police can detain you when there is reasonable suspicion of a crime. It doesn't matter what the crime was. It doesn't matter if he thought he was guilty or not.
    That was nice of him, but irrelevant to my point.
    There was just a whole trial on this, it doesn't need to be rehashed again. The point I was making is that all of these subsequent actions were based on resisting detention, not on the initial charge. At that point, the initial charge is irrelevant. It isn't like the cops say, you resisted detention but you are claustrophobic and it is only $20, go ahead and leave and we will try to track you down later if our investigation determines you need to be arrested or ticketed or whatever. Once you resist you are going down to the station, even if they would have let you go with a warning before. This is the whole Sandra Bland situation. Don't fight your way into getting arrested or killed.

#837 StupidMoniker, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  18. Major

Major Member

Of course it matters to the case. If the same exact encounter had taken place but George Floyd was a wanted fugitive outside a murder scene, the officer is probably found not guilty. Because jurors, like cops, are human beings and they take everything into account. It's why your defense argument that they should present video to target juror's emotions into account would be relevant too, despite the fact that showing some random other person didn't die in the same scenario doesn't change whether the cop is guilty of this. It's the same reason why, if Floyd was white, this likely doesn't end up with him dead. Or if the cop was black or Muslim and Floyd was an attractive white woman, this is almost certainly an easy case that doesn't require a national protest to get the the State of Minnesota to take over and prosecute the case properly. You ignore the reality of the circumstances to try to turn it into some kind of analytical, hypothetical situation, but that's not how justice actually works.

19. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

Almost like I said, "Except to inflame people's passions." right there in the first sentence.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Really?

What was bizarre about it except the fact it was caught on camera.