1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Floyd Murder Trial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

LFG!!!! Rot in that cell pos

2. SuraGotMadHops

Chauvin had his day in court, jurors made their decision, and that's that. I have no complaints, the process played out.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

I am a bit surprised they found him guilty on count 1, but not generally shocked that there was a conviction. Having not seen large portions of the evidence (only caught three witnesses in total) I can't say whether I agree or disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if the conviction stands, nor if it is overturned. This is such a bizarre case. One really has to wonder why they did not sequester the jury in a case with this much media coverage. I also would not be surprised if DA Blackwell gets a letter from the state bar for his rebuttal.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tou Thao, Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng, you’re next.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not like everything just goes back to normal for MN now. There still is the situation with Daunte Wright and we still have to be prepared for tonight. This is a very divided country and there are people who likely don't think that Chauvin should've been found guilty and people who are ideologically opposed to BLM. Given that so much of our politics is zero sum game if this is seen as a win for BLM this will be seen as a loss for others. There are many others who just want to cause problems.

I'm not going to relax tonight.

Deckard and Andre0087 like this.
  6. noize

noize Contributing Member

In your own eyes, did you believed he was guilty or are you unsure?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump would have pardoned him.........he needs to be arrested next.

DD

cheke64 and ROCKSS like this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

I didn't watch the entirety of the trial or hear all of the evidence. I am not qualified to give an informed answer. The jury, however, did hear it all and see it all, and whatever that jury decides is right by me.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

#749 J.R., Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I can shamelessly self promote I told you that much of the arguments I was presenting were what the prosecution did . To your credit your arguments matched many of the arguments that the defense had.

The prosecutors did a far better job than I ever could but I told you that the defense had a very weak hand. They did well with it but in the end it was weak and required overlooking empirical evidence. They also put up arguments that even they conceded were weak such as that Floyd might've died of CO poisoning.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

What are the implications of being guilty on 3 counts? Does it just essentially mean he gets the sentence for the most severe charge? Or do they compound?

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wish you took this stance on other subjects that you have an opinion on.

"Well guys, not going to lie to you, I haven't read up on all the statistics or facts available, therefore, I wholeheartedly cannot give you my opinion on this topic."

Lar, jiggyfly, Junebball and 3 others like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It doesn’t surprise me that you don’t expect to relax, but I hope you and everyone else there have a peaceful night.

14. SuraGotMadHops

Lol, fair enough, but that actually gives me MORE credibility regarding the topics I do take a hard stance on.

Tomstro likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

dude thinks he’s slick playing the “I don’t have all the evidence” card

he had no problem believing the election was stolen despite no evidence and 50+ beatdowns in court handed to MAGA lawyers

he probably wanted Chauvin found not guilty so he could come here and “stick it to the libs” or whatever stupid games these clowns like to play

Lar, jiggyfly, BigM and 2 others like this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

right?!

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

Yes, that was a stupid argument to make. You lose credibility with the jury when you do something like that. You can lay next to a car's exhaust pipe all day and it isn't going to effect you if you are outside in the fresh air like that. The levels of CO that you are being exposed to just are not high enough. His nose and mouth were not close enough to matter. That's why people run hoses from their exhaust into the interior of the car and roll up all the windows when they are trying to commit suicide, they don't just lay down by the exhaust.

I don't know if the judge prevented it in limine, but I would have introduced every video I could find of officers detaining suspects in the prone position for 9+ minutes. The defense didn't do a good enough job to show that this is a common restraint as Chauvin applied it for the length of time he applied it, and that it generally doesn't result in serious injury or death. Especially once the focus became positional asphyxia rather than a choke. Maybe he couldn't locate enough instances. I would have tested in my office having Chauvin and two guys of similar size to the other officers restrain me in a similar manner and, assuming I would survive it for the requisite time, introduced a video of it. Jurors love stuff like that and it would be an easy rebuttal for the "no one could survive" language they were using in closing argument.

18. SuraGotMadHops

Kick rocks dude, nothing I say is haphazard. I have my basis for my stance on the election - and you can read them in those threads. With Chauvin, I let the process play out. Nothing unreasonable about my approach to things, whereas your approach to generalizing and concluding how I would act if Chauvin was found not guilty has no basis other than ignorance and hate towards all things and people GOP.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No it just means you don't want to express your contrarian opinion on a trial that is open and shut.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Everything you said about the election was haphazard with no sincere intellectual curiousty on the matter with a guiding principle of "what confirms my biases".

mdrowe00 likes this.