1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you consider 'rich'?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 20, 2021.

?

What do you consider 'rich'?

1. Roof over you head, air conditioning, working car, three meals a day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Luxury car, latest iPhone, massive top-brand TV

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Own a house

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Own a McMansion and a vacation house

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. New socks every day and a Lambo in the gatehouse

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Financially independent, never have to work again

34 vote(s)
    56.7%
  7. Private Jet, houses in different countries

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. Drugs, rock 'n' roll, bad ass Vegas hoes, Late-night booty calls, shiny disco balls..

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Buy politicians to further your agenda

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Private island, dress like Dr. Evil, hunt the most dangerous game...

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah man, it sounds like the start to a good future

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone."

Thoreau

Blake and Xerobull like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea what rich means to me lol. We grew up poor, on welfare.

Now, my wife and I have solid jobs, make a decent living. We have money put away in 401ks, we have emergency saved up in case we both lost our jobs for a year. Our only debt is a house and one car.

We are comfortable I guess. My wife thinks we are poor and still wants to save every penny. My idea is that I won't live forever, so I spend however I want. I get to help my parents out in Mexico. My wife helps her parents if she needs to.

JumpMan, Xerobull and Rileydog like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

One good thing the pandemic has done is cured me of feeling that getting x% more dollars is ever going to make me feel better in any meaningful way.

Dunking on fools on the internet, on the other hand, is totally priceless.

#44 SamFisher, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To me rich means you don't have to save money to buy a private jet, yacht, or spend $50,000 on a vacation, and you never worry about the price tags on clothes or cars. That being said, I'd take a great family, a decent job, love, peace of mind, and living comfortably over having money, a shitty family, a crappy job, or people using you for money any day.

ima_drummer2k, cmoak1982 and Xerobull like this.
  6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

That's good man. How did it cure you of "getting X% more dollars" will help you feel better in any meaningful way?

No smartassness with this post.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Some people never worry about price tags on things even if they don't have money.

To me, being rich is being sustained with your own financials to have the things you need and want. That's a different goal post for everyone, and can move throughout life.

I'm not rich, but I'm aight.

cmoak1982 and Xerobull like this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is a good place to be. [cliche] You can't take it with you, [/cliche] after all.

I would also say that being rich is when you stop caring about what other people think of the car you drive, the clothes you wear, the house you live in, etc. You stop giving a crap about keeping up with the Jones's. Chances are the Jones's are just living paycheck to paycheck.

Buck Turgidson, TWS1986 and SamFisher like this.
  9. ima_drummer2k

Ouch, sorry to hear. Have you seen anyone about this?

TWS1986 likes this.
  10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Read once that you are rich if you no longer pay attention to the prices at restaurants. I disagree with that one.

To me you are rich if you have enough assets that creates truly passive income of let’s say $20k a month and no debt. Truly passive meaning if you own rental property you do zero work yourself and you have a property management company. Or you own something else like stocks that generate that income. No mortgages on you personal or investment properties. No car payments or loans of any kind.

In this situation you would probably have several million in assets and plenty each month to travel or buy whatever.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. ima_drummer2k

And you're doing better than 7 out of 10 households.

TWS1986 likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Oh. A trust fund brat.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Nah this is Millionaire Next Door doable. Just takes time and a lot of discipline. Helps if your DINKs for sure.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

For real, my job was able to be done fully remote, I spent a ton less money bc no vacations or restaurants etc so basically it was like I got a raise, my house value went way up, I could sit at home and order all the dumb **** I wanted on Amazon and watch all the streaming crap around. I could drink the finest malted beverages, wines and liqueurs. I could cook fancy dinners at home if I wanted.

None of these things moved the needle for me in comparison to the stuff I was worried about like health, societal collapse, family and friends that I couldn't see, my kids stuck on screens all day instead of school, most of which can't/couldn't really be remedied by any amount of money.

Conversely the things I did enjoy were learning new skills (reading, podcasts online courses) purely for the sake of enjoyment and not for financial reasons. Like I tried some woodworking. I don't know **** about woodworking but I had some tools and i built **** out of old wood and it was fun. Making small pockets of order out of an entropic universe.

If you offered me a million dollars cash or 'time well spent'' with family/friends or the ability to lose myself in an active task in a flow state (like playing music or whatever) I'd take the 'time well spent'. Money comes and goes. Time mostly just goes.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"rich enough to be able to afford a girl like darien"

16. TimDuncanDonaut

You're rich when you get to enjoy Rockets playing. Maybe get back into playoffs and win another 'ship.

Os Trigonum, Blake and Xerobull like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

But you know deep down everyone is jealous of your sick rims.

ima_drummer2k and Xerobull like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When you can say "cheese" and show your fronts and it have mo' carats than Bugs Bunny's lunch

Xerobull likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not having to work.

No Worries likes this.
  20. OkayAyeReloaded

I view rich as being successful in health, wealth and relationships.

Health is number one, with wealth and relationships also being extremely important. If you can hit all three you are extremely wealthy imo.

But in pure money terms, having financial freedom to basically do whatever you want.

You don't have to work, can travel, give to charities, buy luxury items or things for your family with no stress and make money while you sleep.

TimDuncanDonaut and cmoak1982 like this.