1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why is Clint Capela so underrated

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HardenMvp, May 23, 2017.

1. DonatelloLimestone

that’s part of it, but also it’s the car crash theory, we all slow down to see the other side, plus we like drama, everyone’s heads perks up when someone starts an nba fight, nothing to do with the game. Have of ESPN is literally a men’s version of soap opera drama i hate that I eat that **** up

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    https://images.app.goo.gl/XvV8LrE7NeYTVZwQ7

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and paul had another playoff physical breakdown

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

to answer, because the casual fan doesn't understand the numbers

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I mean they did win 65 games and came a win away from going to the NBA finals vs a GS dynasty that was down 2-3. Lets not act like he always had that and most of us haven't been talking about how stupid it was to break it up since

#44 YOLO, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    chadyang likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Clint Capela can a be a legit two way center with a good PNR guard. He can certainly get hustle point around the rim, but he's at his best running PNR. I think Capela is a top ten center when at his best.

6. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Clint should do a camp and just teach the proper way to set a pick. Maybe we can enroll C-Wood. Maybe clint could teach Wood how to not fall asleep on defense too but I won’t get my hopes up.

if you can’t tell... I’m still pissed.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yeah, despite the improved spacing for Westbrook which I did like, I was pretty much totally against trading him for Roco before they made the move.

The team imploded and we're moving on so it no longer matters, but time is showing who the better player was.

Trading him and Chris Paul were major mistakes and helped the other dominoes to fall later.

Oh well, moving forward with the tank and draft pick goals.

Good luck to Capela he worked hard every night and deserves his success.

chadyang likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Clint b puttin up numbers that look like the picks we owe to OKC

21& 24, 25 & 26

Kim likes this.
  9. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Heck even the Warriors, Cavs, Raptors and Lakers are revolving Rosters. It's cap space along wanting to get better politics that don't let Rosters stay intact. You add into the mix that Fertitta is in it to mainly just make money and a chip isn't the first priority, then there's also tremendous all around hate against the Rockets and of course Tillman is also financially compromised to spend the money so.....

10. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

We'd still have Clint if not for this mind-numbing Chris Paul trade, too... God that trade really f*cked us. I hate you so much, fertits.

Easy and YOLO like this.
  11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

You're right, that was a fantastic roster, for all one years it lasted.

Every other roster he played with in Houston probably doesn't even make the playoffs in the west without him.

(Also, Capela then wasn't as good as Capela now... remember he's still only like 26)

jordnnnn likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He was almost this good before he got hurt. He wasn't the monster rebounder then. But everything else was pretty good. He was our only valuable trade asset at that time.

SuperMarioBro and pgabriel like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He got diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis right after we traded him too. Say no to big men with feet issues. It's only a matter of time before he goes down again.

roslolian likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

People don't understand the numbers. When all three were healthy, Capela/Harden/Paul, it had to have been one of the most efficient teams in the history of the league

dmoneybangbang and Easy like this.
  15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yeah, I don't think it's a night and day difference, especially for that particular year. But I'm also talking about his Rocket career vs him right now. By 2018, Capela was already meaningfully better than he was in, say, 2015 or 2016. Let alone how good he is right now. It's not fair to talk about how good Capela is now like he was a borderline all-star next to Harden every year.

... I really wish we'd gotten rid of (or never signed) Dwight, though, and let Clint develop even sooner. Dwight and [especially] Westbroke were two huge mistakes, and that's not a great track record for the "help" Harden had here.

Easy likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They don't make the 1st wcf without Howard.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I didn't like the Dwight signing either. Had never liked him as a player. And hindsight tells us that he didn't really fulfill that second star role we hoped. At that time, though, I understood the rationale of getting him.

Capela turned out to be able to do pretty much every Dwight could do, except bullying people down low. Dwight is a stronger version of Clint. I've always felt that if Dwight would embrace Capela's role--rebound, protect the rim, PnR, run the floor--he could have helped us contend for a championship.

pgabriel likes this.
  18. ballgame

ballgame Member

Why is Clint Capela so underrated?? I don't know, ask James Harden.

Curry score 30 or more 11 straight games and the internet blows up, Harden did it 32 times!!

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Clint is ok, but I wouldnt say he is underrated. He is a good value player but nowhere near C. Wood, for example. He is good at defense, rebs and being a roll man but you can prob find guys like that easily, Jarrett Hayes, Moses Brown and Nick Claxton come to mind.

One reason he is blowing up is cuz East is weak AF again, look at their records 32-27 good for 5th on the standings AND East teams play each other more. If you look at the results though if he really dominating Hawks should be higher in the standings they have Young and Collins for crying out loud.

20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

If Donuts and Bev never went down, I think they have a shot, but you may be right. Regardless, I'm not really arguing that as it's not really relevant to my point. You could also say we don't make the WCF that year if not for Josh Smith's miracle game six. That doesn't make him a great player. Obviously no one can win anything alone, but none of Harden's Rockets teams even remotely had a shot at competing without him outside of 2018.