1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tlaib Wut?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Apr 20, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The White House distanced itself from calls of "Squad" member Rashida Tlaib for "no more" policing and incarceration following the shooting of Daunte Wright.

The Democratic congresswoman from Michigan said the shooting by Minneapolis officer Kim Potter "wasn’t an accident" and that policing in the United States was "inherently and intentionally racist".

"Daunte Wright was met with aggression & violence. I am done with those who condone government funded murder," she said in a tweet.

"No more policing, incarceration, and militarization. It can’t be reformed."

I am starting to think some members of The Squad just like the attention.

I would not be surprised if a couple are not there after the next election.

R0ckets03, Andre0087 and Astrodome like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t know who this person is

I want much more accountability for police...they can lie, kill, harass, beat and brutalize, etc, and continuously get away with it with little to no repercussions

ryan_98 and No Worries like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was trying to look for Tlaib's comment to see if there was more context and it's a tweet.

I would agree pretty irresponsible. Many in Congress seem to forget that they have a job to legislate and govern and are more interested in being activists. Twitter seems to encourage this.

She's also no in a feud with the Detroit Chief of Police:
    https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/art...oit_police_chief_craig_i_m_not_going_anywhere
    Rashida Tlaib To Detroit Police Chief James Craig: 'I'm Not Going Anywhere'

♦ Update: "The Detroit Police chief ran to Fox to call for my resignation. He even said he’d 'throw [me] a goodbye party.' I’m not going anywhere," Rep. Rashida Tlaib responds in an email Monday to backers, reported by the local station.

Original post, Monday:

Detroit Police Chief James Craig continues to lash out at Democratic Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, saying Sunday: "I'd love to see her resign. I'd throw her a goodbye party."

In a remote appearance on Fox 2's "Let It Rip" with Charlie Langton, the chief attacked Tlaib, as he had last week after she criticized policing in America following the fatal shooting of Daunte Wright in Brooklyn Center, Minn., on April 11. A white officer said she was trying to use a taser, but instead shot him.

"Let her go," Craig said of Tlaib, serving a second term in the House. "Who is she speaking for, Charlie? Let me just say this. When you talk about abolishing police, incarceration, ... safe cities. What do you think the residents in Detroit want? I know. I speak with them."

"Is she truly representing the people, or is she representing a fringe group? She does not speak for black and brown people in our city." (Video below.)

A day after the Minnesota shooting, Tlaib tweeted:

Craig on Sunday again called her comments "reckless" and expressed concern about her sitting in Congress. "If I made comments on par with her, they'd be calling for my resignation."

After her tweet, Tlaib's chief of staff qualified that Tlaib doesn't feel that more investment in police, incarceration and criminalization will deliver greater safety in communities. He said more should be invested in education, jobs and combating poverty.

Craig said: "I'm all for social service programs. I support that. But not on the backs of our men and women who serve."

Asked if the city is prepared for the Derek Chauvin trial verdict expected this week, he responded that the department is in a "constant state of readiness."

jiggyfly and ryan_98 like this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

She's well positioned to introduce legislation to do away with policing. I'm sympathetic, actually, but I'm very interested to hear how the alternative will work.

Sooty and ryan_98 like this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe these are unfair questions, but my immediate thoughts after reading her tweet:

Was she against policing on Jan 6th during the Capitol Hill attacks? Or she is OK with police protecting her and her colleagues, but not the general population?

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In the article I posted her Chief of Staff said she was talking about putting more money into enforcement and incarceration so not that we shouldn't have any.

This is the problem with Twitter that there is no room for nuance but even without Twitter too many politicians are making extremist statements without nuance.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

With the Defund the Police movement in MN there have been proposals to do away with the police or at least reduce it to a very small force that is only used in extreme emergency situations. The ideas I've heard to take their place are essentially social workers and community policing with neighborhood organizations handling safety and security within their neighborhoods.

glynch likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Since Tlaib is in Congress, I'd really like to hear what flavor of Defund she would support. I'm more interested in what she's for than what she's against.

Sooty likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I really doubt she has thought that out and just went for the quick outrage take.

Astrodome, NotInMyHouse and Andre0087 like this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Is she trying to give Boebert and Greene a run for their money?

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

...and if she does I hope she loses her seat in the next election even if it's to a Republican. These legislators used to make decent to good policy...now it's all just talking points and twitter rants. I see why China and Russia don't take us seriously anymore...

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When did they make good policy? What policy? The policies that has increased wealth inequality and distrust in law enforcement?

Brace yourself dude. Expect more extreme rhetoric as time moves forward as wealth inequality grows.

#12 fchowd0311, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    JuanValdez likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Lordy.

I see who she is targeting with stuff like this.

14. fchowd0311

Ya good ol' dumbass me. Hence why I called it extremist.

Extremist me listening to extremist outlets like extremist NPR who bring in guest extremist economists with their extremist rhetoric about how our wealth inequality trend is not sustainabile.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But you are always making excuses for it and trying to explain it away.

Why?

What does her saying do away with the police have to with wealth inequality how does that help it.

16. fchowd0311

Ya any conversation of "this bad" and "this good" is unacceptable.

Expressing to expect more extremist content by our legislators in the future is just expressing reality due to future trends.

If you don't know what it has to do with wealth inequality, let me break it down Barnet style.

More desperate the people are the more willing they are to support extremist candidates and candidates that express extremist statements. That has been a pretty common historical trend with humanity.

All I'm doing here is taking a few steps back to see her statement in the backdrop of the macro situation in this country.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That is what they call spin. You can read what she said. Of course someone smart came along and tried to clean it up and claim that saying "policing is inherently and intentionally racist", "no more policing, incarceration, and militarization" just means that we should just not increase funding for those things. Why would anyone even think she meant we should get rid of something that is "inherently and intentionally racist"?

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bold political observation - I believe you may be on to something.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[​IMG]

Andre0087 and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member