1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They got a 4th rounder for Springer; certainly not huge but at least something. If Verlander is able to show he is on track to be fully healthy for next season before the end of this season he will likely be QO’ed and the Astros would receive a 2nd round pick if he signed elsewhere since they are below the luxury tax.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

You think they would offer a QO? Would probably be in 15-20 million range for a rehab season for a close to 40 year old. I wouldn't offer a QO IMO

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With the caveat that he comes back in Sep/Oct and shows he’s healthy, yes. If he hasn’t shown he is healthy I wouldn’t QO him. But $20M/1yr based on everything prior to 2020 is a steal.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he completes rehab fine and has no setbacks, why not? He’s every bit the pitcher that Smoltz and Clemens were when they pitched in their upper 30’s/early 40’s.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Because I feel a rebuild coming after Greinke’s albatross contract is gone

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’re not rebuilding when they have Altuve, Bregman, Gurriel, Alvarez, Tucker, LMJ and possibly Correa under contract.

They could probably look to re-sign Zack as well. Quality starting pitching still a premium everywhere.

They’re going to have money to spend.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

TWS1986 likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m not sure any interview with Click is worth a Click... get it?

But seriously, he’s not going to divulge anything.

TWS1986 and Astrofan59 like this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Just doing rough estimates on aribtration numbers and guessing on Maldonado's new contract.... Astros will have about 50-55 million to spend to get back to current payroll level. Probably closer to 50 because of all the incentives on Odorizzi's deal. It could be more if Pressly doesn't vest his option and if the Astros don't pick up Gurriel's team option. So 50ish million to fill holes at CF, SS/3rd (depending on where Bregman plays), bullpen, and rotation.

Doubtful they can swing Verlander and Greinke unless they go with at least one internal option at 3rd/SS or CF.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I expect they’re going to default to internal options (or make trades) in the field... and splurge on pitchers.

Verlander, while he doesn’t officially owe the team anything for paying him this much for just 1 game.... will basically be between the Astros (via good faith) or going back to Detroit to play for Hinch. Who knows what Zack wants to do. I wouldn’t count them out on either.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Greinke will command over 20 million per. He is a total mercenary and will go to whatever team pays him the most. The best chance to keep Verlander is a qualifying offer. I doubt very many teams will want to pay him more than 19ish million AND give up draft pick compensation for a 39 year old coming off TJ surgery on a strict innings limit.

It's too early to say what the Astros will do at SS or CF. Need to see how Pena and Leon do in the minor league season.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We shall see. Zack can certainly do whatever he wants to do... but there’s not a lot of teams that are going to automatically be the “highest bidder” for somebody with his unique skill set. Yes, he’s always gone after the money... and he’s also been traded 3 times because teams ultimately could not afford him, and hasn’t worked in the same city for more than 3 years since he was 26 years old. Priorities change... I’m sure his family will play a bigger role in his next destination more-so than its been in the past.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah there’s zero chance they would have given McCullers $85M if they planned to rebuild.

They will be able to afford one top tier free agent and still have some money to address their other holes. Ideally they would have a prospect (Pena or Leon) emerge as a new MLB-ready long term core piece AND have a few prospects raise their stock so that the Astros have ammo to make a meaningful trade or two without decimating their farm.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed. Let’s see what sort of moves Click does this year. He is great at getting covid players replaced thus far.... and whatever LMJ has (false negative covid)

15. raining threes

Thanks for nothing Click

Straw and Castro playing regularly on a championship level team.

Click is in over his head.

everyday eddie and TWS1986 like this.
  16. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

In over his head why??? Giving Straw a chance to sink or swim doesn't mean Click is in over his head LOLOL

jiggyfly, IowaAstro, jim1961 and 3 others like this.
  17. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I mean it's still super early. We'll see on Click. I'll give him a full off-season and regular season.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Straw makes less than 1M on a ~$208M payroll. He's not the problem or at worst he's 0.5% of the problem.
    Castro is getting on base twice as much as the starting catcher and hitting for a ton more power. He's also been one of the best hitters on the team over the last week. Yuli is the only player making more than Castro hitting better than Castro over the last week. Castro is not the problem.

The problem is that the Astros are hurt/ill/suspended, and they don't have the payroll flexibility to do anything about it. Payroll flexibility was gone before Click got here.

Raley, Baez, and Odorizzi contributing jack is partly due to Click. Partly on the players.

I expect Astros to play better, but they don't have the depth to handle a bad injury year.

Click may be a horrible GM, but we won't know until he has time to repair the farm, and/or ability to spend some serious coin from Crane on players of his picking.

#38 Joe Joe, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    jim1961, awc713 and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I do blame Click for having one of his best pitchers at the alternate site while not having enough pitching. I get that Dusty is needed to instill a perception of integrity, but you got to find a way to get Javier in the game and keep him stretched out.

Nook likes this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LOL team loses their 3 best hitters to covid and falls to 1 game under .500, fan responses: “fire the GM”!