1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Olynyk's Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 27, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Partly, but also a lot of it has to do with him being an expiring and ONLY wanting to resign with Miami, thats why his trade value was so garbage.

No, but we never should have traded for him to begin with tbh.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Olynyk getting the start again tonight, so rest easy Clutchfans

tinman and don grahamleone like this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

Yep just like Fournier, when you are an expiring and the other team arguably can wait a couple months and sign him outright you don’t have much leverage. There was rumors even before this year he wanted to goto Miami and with him being an expiring contract we have our backs up on the wall with a hard trade deadline to use or lose him. Miami could’ve cleared enough cap space to sign him and he had no reason to help us out as an unrestricted free agent this summer.

That was the benefit of LEvert. People comparing PER or whatever stats lose the point that lever is 26, has 2 seasons, 9 games of Playoff basketball(much harder defense) averaging 21-6-5, and mainly 2 years left on his contract so we wouldn’t have the backs up against the wall to even go this summer and get at least a first rounder.

I’ve liked stones pick ups with these young guys, this was a massive mistake and I hope it wasn’t just for tillman to get contracts off the table, but no one is perfect and I’m still rolling with stone for now. Go Rockets

HP3 likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Olynyk back in the starting lineup, gonna be a good night

5. DonatelloLimestone

For as bad as we are, for about 3 quarters Olynk, KPJ, KMJ, Tate, Wood give me hope right until we squash the lead and get another type of hope for a top 4.

Wow, Knicks Houston fan...tough, volatile situations

Corrosion likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

bump for tonight's game

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Is it time to begin having a serious discussion about how legit Olynyk is as a starting center or is he just on an extended streak of good basketball?

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Unrestricted my ass. We're gonna surround his house in the offseason and make sure he can't escape Houston, chanting like he's Ali:

KELLY! Bomaye! KELLY BOOMAHYE! KELLY BOMAYE!

[​IMG]

D-rock, MIAGI99 and BamBam like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This isn't just a streak , this scheme fits his skills and he's a really smart player .... I've mentioned him for several years as a fit while Harden was here.

I'd like to see him stay but I fear he may be playing himself out of the range the Rockets would keep him at.

BigggReddd, D-rock, cmoak1982 and 2 others like this.
  11. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Sadly the owner of Rockets is not a big spender. Olynyk at age 30 will demand a decent contract which I feel Rockets will not offer.

12. JW86

JW86 Member

He needs less playing time, he’s not part of our future...

13. ilias

ilias Member

We need to sign him up. He not only brings value as a player, but, as the Oladipo trade showed, his contract can be useful in trades down the line. I wouldn’t mind slightly overpaying him for the next two years while we are not going to be in a position to win.

A 4 year / $52m declining (eg 16-14-12-10) contract with a team option in years 3 and 4 would be a useful asset. Could package together with EG contract and Nets picks to get a disgruntled star in summer of 2022 or 2023 trade deadline.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Please join me in wishing face of the franchise Kelly Olynyk a Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday Kelly!

[​IMG]

tinman, MONON, Os Trigonum and 3 others like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I agree but in the short term this young team needs vets like KO. Not only can he impart some knowledge and wisdom to Wood and Tate but he's also a good fit with this group from a productivity standpoint. It's not like he's some vet that can no longer play--the dude is performing very well since the trade so the young guys will probably listen more to what he has to say.

Of course this is also assuming Fertitta will fork over money to keep Olynyk this offseason and that is never a safe assumption to have.

slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

[​IMG]

D-rock and B-Bob like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We have already won the Harden trade by landing Olynyk

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

For a quarter season rental? He's not resigning here.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Tilman falls in a faint

20. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Super Max deal coming