1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Man you are bad at scouting. So who's your number 1 pick?

csc177 and saleem like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sharpe is def underrated but he is not a top 5 pick.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tatum's NBA comp coming out of draft was Scottie Pippen.

4. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

That’s funny because the three games that I watched of Cade I kept thinking his game reminded me of Tatum.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

When is the ping pong night?

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its funny because he reminds me of andrew wiggins the most

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Is cade even better than andrew wiggins?

8. raining threes

In what way?

Cade reminds me nothing of Wiggins.

D-rock, cheke64 and groovemachine like this.
  9. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I mean you’re entitled to your own opinion and no one can say that you’re wrong but Jaylen Green is more Wiggins like than Cade at least to me. Wiggins game was based on supreme athleticism which I don’t think Cade has.

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take Cade at 1, and move up for Kispert or Butler.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

You mean when both are 18? Wiggins was more athletic and Cade is better shooter.
    If we do get the 1st pick. It's going to be Cade. If 2nd/3rd it will be between Mobley and Suggs. If 4th, we just pick the left over.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Exactly Cade Cunningham did lead his team to a win against Baylor in the semifinal game in the conference tournament. I look at things like that. Baylor has elite level guards on that squad.

groovemachine and Plowman like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. BreakYoSelfFool

Maybe I just don't agree with all the "experts" who seem to downgrade guys who played against pros even when they excel. I think the NCAA has a lot of pull over these draft prospect rankings. In my opinion, Luka Doncic was an obvious star who was outplaying grown men in the Euroleague at 16. At 18 he was a Euroleage MVP that led his team to a championship, but somehow there were doubts among the scouts that he could be great in the NBA and DeAndre Ayton and Marvin Bagley got picked before him...Anthony Edwards is really good, but no way Lamelo should have been the third pick overall either.

I like Green better than Cade. I think he has just as much skill and more physical talent. He doesn't look as impressive playing against pros, but check how he has looked against peeps on his same level:

At 16 he started training with Steph Curry's trainer at Accelerate Basketball. From there you can see the ball handling and passing get exponentially better. After that he is just murdering guys out there.

Cade is good, I think he will be a fine player, the best college player in the country. I just don't see anything higher than a borderline all-star from him. He has great size and strength, makes tough shots, good passer for his size, great bb iq, and good in the post. Most years Cade would be a hands down favorite but there are 4 guys this year with high floors and no obvious flaws so you gotta nitpick some talented guys. Unlike in college, every team in the NBA has 3 or more guys with the size, strength, speed, and athleticism to match up well with Cade. He already doesn't get separation in college, even his stepbacks get good contests.

I think if Jaylen had went to college, he would have been unstoppable and the unquestioned #1 ahead of Cade, but he probably wouldn't have grown as much as in the G-league.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree on the value of those rookie contracts .... but this team is already really young outside of Wall , EG & Olynyk who may or may not be here next year.

I can't see them drafting 3 rookies in this draft .... that's a whole lotta young guys to add to Porter ,Tate , Martin & Brooks.

IF they keep the lottery pick , I'd use the other two picks (Portland & Milwaukee) to move back up as far as those two picks could get me .... maybe back into the lottery.

If that's not an option , I'd try to push one of those picks into next years draft.

If they don't keep that lottery pick .... maybe you use all some combination or all three picks to move up.

Three rookies is just too many.

16. csc177

csc177 Member

Facts. We need a talent across the board

17. csc177

csc177 Member

I like Jaylen...I just think he and KPJ are the same player. Pairing those two would be interesting. But I'll take it if we pick 3 and Cade & Mobley are off the board.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Watch them trade the pick for an old player, or draft a player no one expected. That will so Houston...

19. sydmill

sydmill Member

I acknowledge that sentiment and that having that many young players (especially rookies trying to find their way) can be disruptive. I will point out a few things which, I think, mitigate that possibility. First is that there is a high likelihood that 1 or more of those guys spend a lot of time in the D league. Second, the Rockets should be looking to keep several veterans on the team to serve as team leaders and to mentor the young talent. I have laid out what I would do in several threads but essentially it is bring back Olynyk, Nwaba and Brown to add to Gordon and Wall as veteran leadership and then fill in the rest of the roster with the young guys and let the cream rise to the top. So much depends on the draft pick situation though. If the Rockets get pick #1 or #2 (Cade/Mobley) vs pick #3 or #4 vs the Miami pick I think your plan has to be vastly different. For sure if they wind up with Miami's pick you consolidate your picks to get the highest one you can. If you get Cade or Mobley then I think you start looking for complimentary pieces at the remaining picks. If they wind up with Green or Kuminga (Suggs is #5 for me) then I think you maybe keep your powder dry and acquire some more 2022 picks as you mentioned before to make sure that the Rockets get an alpha dog in that draft. My two cents...

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

What the point today bringing back belveteran leadership if they don’t lead by example. The vets in this teams make the same boneheaded mistakes as a rookie. These guys notoriously don’t block out, they complain to the refs instead of getting back on defense leading to many disadvantages on transition, Wood leads the team in unforced turnovers.

the only professional vets we have are Olynyk Nwaba and Avery.