1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Body Cam Video released in March shooting of Chicago-area 13-year-old

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DVauthrin, Apr 15, 2021.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i said in my initial post "and with a name like that can we assume that 13 year old kid was a killer, or at least an aspiring killer". i stand by that comment.

you are the one who claimed he was a rapper. where did you get that from?

i have no idea why you are so focused on the fact that i pointed out that his nickname amongst his gangbanger friends was lil homicide. of course the cop didnt know his nickname and it makes no difference in this incident...but it does show that this 13 year old kid was mixed up in some pretty bad stuff. this wasnt tamir rice or george floyd being murdered...its a different scenario and its tragic, but i dont blame the cop at all here.

roughly two seconds from when the kid stopped to when he started to turn around. a "split second" decision for the cop when the kid started to turn around and you couldnt see what was in his right hand. arent you the poster who recently asked me to provide proof that some people think game of thrones is the greatest show of all time. once again, youre being ridiculous.

in that "split second" i can totally understand why the officer didnt see it that way. its a dark alley and you cant clearly see that he doesnt have the gun in his right hand till he starts to turn around and in that "split second" as he was turning was when the officer fired.

i saw the body cam video. i have no idea why you are having such trouble with all this.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Fair enough.

I see him raising his hands after throwing away the gun I see him facing the cop with both hands up before he was shot.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So we assume a guy is a killer because of a nickname?

Da ****?

I see why you think what you think, no need to go any further.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I knew what was going through the officer’s mind. Maybe it’s appropriate to understand his social media past postings to see if we can get any indication of potential bias.

You know how it goes for the victims, individuals want to bring up their past issues. No reason why we can’t do the same for the gun happy cops as well.

FrontRunner likes this.
  5. jo mama

i just watched the video again and youre wrong - you cant see his right hand until he starts to turn around and in that "split second" is when the cop fired their gun.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is a still in this very thread that has him facing the cop with his hands up.

7. jo mama

i believe you, but can you post the photo? i just scrolled through the thread and couldnt find it. might be linked in someones post.

you said "I see him raising his hands after throwing away the gun I see him facing the cop with both hands up before he was shot."

that is not accurate. the cop shot him as he was turning around and still couldnt fully see what was in his right hand.

the way youre framing it is that he was standing there with both hands up when the cop shot him. if that was the case then it would be murder, but thats not what i see on video.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup
    Houston is spread out . Anyone tells you they are from Houston , then they live in Tomball or Richmond.
    Yes Houston has lots of hoods. Geto Boys mentions just a few of them.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Is this the picture:
    [​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps a clearer picture?

[​IMG]

jo mama likes this.
  11. jo mama

that must be. doesnt change what we see on video and how quick it all goes down. the cop was probably firing their gun at that exact moment. its not like he was standing there with his hands up and the cop shot him in cold blood like jiggy and others seem to be claiming.

heres another i just saw where he appears to be tossing the gun behind the fence while putting his hands up. so it was one motion of him tossing the gun and turning around. to me this justifies the cops actions even more. how was the cop supposed to see him toss the gun in that split second? its not unreasonable to assume that the cop thought he still had the gun in his hand as he was turning around.

[​IMG]

#91 jo mama, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Andre0087 and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  12. jo mama

its just an all around tragic and sad situation. that cop didnt want to kill a 13 year old and now has to live with that. the kid made a dumb mistake and it cost him his life.

i cant even comprehend being a kid (or an adult) and living in that environment. sounds like there was minimal parental supervision and his only role models were a bunch of low-life gangsters. that kid never had a chance in life and there are thousands and thousands of other kids in this country living in similar circumstances.

when i was at UT i tutored disadvantaged kids at a library in east austin (this was at a time when east austin was super-sketchy, at least by austin standards). i had 6th and 7th grade boys who couldnt f***ing read and i could tell were already getting introduced to the gang lifestyle. there were major discipline issues and the best i could do with most of them was try to play a board game for an hour. the parents would come pick them up and you could often smell alcohol on them or they were high. the kids clothes were dirty and they clearly didnt take baths very often. their homelife must have been bleak and scary...it was depressing as hell.

13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I remember I use to do that in east austin as well when I was a student. About 10-15 hours a week to help out in one of those alternative juvenile schools. Those kids has it tough.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Toledo’s nickname shouldn’t matter to the facts of the case. It gives background to who he was but like most of these cases have very little to do with the actual situations

Regarding his nickname well kids do stupid things including give themselves stupid nicknames. The relevant facts are was he armed initially, if so when did he drop the weapon and did the LEO have sufficient time to assess that at the moment he fired that Toledo wasn’t armed. The still image is very telling but that is a fraction of a second in the situation. From what I can tell that might’ve been taken simultaneously as the LEO is firing.

It’s a difficult situation and I’ll admit I don’t fee l like I have enough enough to info to say if it was a justifiable shot or not.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If leo says, 'stop show me your hands' and the criminal complies as directed and is still immediately shot then the cop has a big legal problem -- all this other extraneous information makes no difference.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

id think the kid should have thrown the gun earlier in the chase. If I was the cop, id be concerned with seeing the gun in his hand at that point and I personally feel this was a fairly justified shooting.

You are out at 3am shooting at cars and waiting till the last possible second to drop your gun. Yea you might get shot.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Nook, REEKO_HTOWN and KingCheetah like this.
  18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

it all depends on timing. If the criminal is holding a gun the cop can see, the cop says 'stop, shop me your hands' the criminal starts turning, the cop makes the decision to shoot, while turning the criminal throws the gun behind a fence where the cop can't see it, the cop starts squeezing the trigger, the criminal puts his hands up, now empty, the cop completes his action of squeezing the trigger and shoots the criminal, the he has no legal problem. We do not attribute super human reaction times to an officer. Watching the video at 1/4 speed, Toledo's empty right hand comes visible and the strobe flashlight flashes once when it is low and a second time when it is being raised and then a third time when his hands are up, which is when the shot is fired. I count it flashing about 8-10 times per second at normal speed. The average human reaction time to a visible stimulus is 1/4 of a second. So there is basically on the border of the minimum possible amount of time (maybe barely enough, maybe not quite enough) for the officer to see his empty hand and then change his action.

DonnyMost and Andre0087 like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!