1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Buck Turgidson

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Friend of mine is an English teacher. She just got this gem from one of her students.

[​IMG]

#1902 heypartner, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Buck Turgidson and basso like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was talking to someone about regional BBQ and he brought up the Carolina vinegar thin sauce but also about an Alabama White Sauce BBQ. He said it was made from mayonnaise.

I had never heard of anything like that and I'm not sure how much I would try BBQ made with mayo.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've seen it on the cooking shows. Man Fire Food, etc. Never had it though. They mostly put it on chicken.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Was at a bbq in Brooklyn many moons ago and some kid was grilling chicken and periodically removing from the pit and dunking it in a huge bowl of white sauce. I was thinking WTF. Was damn good though and way before I ever knew such a thing existed.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That sounds horrific, but I have to admit that I enjoy patat met (fries with mayonnaise) when in the Netherlands. Only there, however. The mayonnaise tastes much different than our own, and it’s only one of an enormous number of sauces they put on arguably the best fries in the world. They wouldn’t dream of cooking fries taken from a freezer, like the ones Bart is cooking below.

[​IMG]

BamBam likes this.
  7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve tried using Mayo as a base before applying a rub, and it works fantastically well on ribs and chicken. Have not tried it with beef, or larger cuts, but think it would work well with pork butt.

Meathead recommends it as well.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I make a “fry sauce” with 2 parts ketchup and Mayo and 1 part Dijon, plus a few dashes of hot sauce (truffle in this case) plus salt pepper. Great on a burger too.

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

fries are awesome there......which is a good thing. ‘Cuz a lot of Dutch food is marginal at best.

Deckard likes this.
  10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Marginal is being kind.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's called "Alabama white sauce", and I've been trying to head to Alabama to try some for a while. I went to Nashville a few years ago and tried to go down to the Barber Vintage Sports Museum in Birmingham to check out some of their exhibit, but to also try the Alabama bbq on the way there by stopping in Decatur @ Bob Gibson's bbq. Unfortunately, I never made it due to weather. Another year, I tried to go to one of Bob Gibson's in Decatur again, but again... bad weather kept me away. If you've ever seen Bob Gibson on various food bbq shows - he supposedly created the sauce. You can buy the sauce online if you want to try it.

12. Buck Turgidson

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/big-bobs-gibsons-white-sauce-recipe-1915328

Love the 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne...don't want it too spicy now!

basso and Dr of Dunk like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. Two Sandwiches

This is where I've heard of it. Bob Gibson.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well if Clutchfans are recommending it. If I ever see it I'll give Alabama White Sauce a try. I'm skeptical but I've eaten stuff far weirder than BBQ mayo.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

It's good on turkey too. I smoked one for Thanksgiving and whipped us some Alabama White to go with it. Will continue to do it every year

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ever since I tried using mayo instead of butter on grilled cheese, I'm convinced mayo is underrated. lol. I've never tried the white sauce, so I'm not recommending it - I just want to try it. :D

basso and Two Sandwiches like this.
  18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Any West/Central/Panhandle suggestions?

I'll be driving from Houston to Denver next week

19. Two Sandwiches

Mayo on the outside of grilled cheese is some good stuff.

20. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Papas house sauce is similar to Carolina vinegar sauce if you need a comparison.