1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021: NBA Draft Hidden Jokic

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets13champs, Feb 6, 2021.

1. rockets13champs

6-11 Elite play making ability, can stretch the floor. Just needs to work on his rebounding a bit. Really good long term add to a team of vets who has a young star. Long term would allow us to move CWood to his natural position PF.

imagine a front court of Jokic and Wood? That’s what the ceiling would be with this guy. Currently projected 2nd round pick. If Portland is in the 20s. I’d deff spend their pick on him

2. rockets13champs

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I was watching Seton Hall play recently and did notice him on a couple of occasions with driving and passing. He by no means was a dominant player, although I think a tightly spaced court, as is the norm in college games, hurts his playmaking abilities. Seemed undisciplined at times. Would have to really improve his shooting to be a factor in the NBA.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is a good player. I'm impressed with his court vision and size. He isn't slow like Hart. Stone should consider him.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. saleem

@ApacheWarrior @D-rock
    I want to revisit this thread now that we have 3 FRP's in the 20's in the upcoming 2021 draft after the PJ Tucker trade. Please name some solid sleepers who can be of use to us. I have accepted that we're aren't going to acquire a top 4 pick.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Let me look over the field, study them in the tournament.

I wouldn't say we won't acquire a top pick. If you look at Milwaukee team payroll this off-season going into next season, they did a Morey,
    traded out of the first round for our second round pick because they stand near $146M.

Not wanting to pay the first round slotted salary.

It's possible Houston can package picks to move up. Team might not want a chance at a lottery pick.....I hear some only have 52% chance.

saleem likes this.
  7. saleem

Sure, take your time my great friend.

8. saleem

I think he will go into the 2nd round. I would rather go for Isaiah Jackson with his explosive shot blocking, length and rebounding with the 22nd pick and Charles Bassey with his physical toughness at the 25th. Wood needs their help more than his.
    @ApacheWarrior @D-rock @Nook

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rockets are a poor rebounding team and since the Rockets have a team FG% of 44%.....ability to rebound is essential.

*side note: Rockets are 33.6% three point %. Since the Rockets accumulate PG/SG's like no tomorrow......I don't know what the heck
    the purpose is? Real SF's can assist just as well and shot just as well (or as poor). Rockets definitely lack identity.

Back to the topic at hand: drafting center. I like Sandro Mamukelashvili but he listed as number 60 on ESPN draft board.
    Isaiah Jackson #11 but translates to as PF in the NBA
    Alperen Segun #14
    Bassey #26 (my personal favorite)
    Day'Ron Sharp #36 (probably as PF)
    Luka Garza #54
    Sandro Mamukelashvili #60

Here are the stats for Sandro, followed by Luka Garza:
    Player........FG%......3P%.......FT%........Rebs.......ast.......blk......pts
    Sandro: .....43.4%....33.6%....71.4%........7.6...........3.2.......0.6......17.5........(has 7,'2" Ike Obiago and 270 pounds playing Center next to him)
    Luka G:......55.3%.....44%.......70.9%........8.7..........1.7.......1.6.......24.1

Why not draft Luka Garza. I've had this conversation prior.......yes players in the 2nd round are interesting. But we don't have a
    second round pick. Unless we move out of the first or buy a pick.

Arizona Sports Zone had an article date Feb 19, 2021 on Sandro Mamukelashvili.
    Phrasing his skills sets.....I'm not against bringing him to Houston.

Article mentions how Sandro would fit in well with:
    Suns as they use Saric and Frank Kaminsky inn much the same manner as Sandro should.
    Including: Kings, Mavericks, Hornets, Knicks, 76ers, Heat....I would add Rockets.

As the article suggests, Hornets. As I run the mock draft simulator on the trade machine app. Charlotte tends to draft Bassey at number 15.
    So Bassey may not be there at number 22. So Sandro or Luka Garza may be a far, fall back plan.

10. saleem

Good points, I will take Sandro over Garza. Luke seems too slow to me, though I'm looking for BPAs over needs. Sharp is a PF, I think he is better than Sandro. I like him. Who might drop to 16 in your opinion? I'm mentally preparing myself for OKC grabbing a top pick and the Rockets sliding down.

#10 saleem, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Bill Worrell would absolutely cream himself if we had our own Baby Joker.

12. DCSLaw99

DCSLaw99 Member

Take a look at Kai Sotto, from the Philippines. 7.2. Can shoot the 3s. Has some moves of the Dream inside. Can handle the ball. 19 years old.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Marc Gasol, Nikola Jokic 2nd Rounders.

The were really overweight as prospects. But outstanding skills. Can Dribble, Pass, Shoot. High IQ.

saleem likes this.
  14. saleem

Raw, a second round pick with shooting potential. I will pass up on him. I did consider him on my own .

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well,
    Luka gets more blocks 1.6 per game over Sandro and his 0.6 blocks per game.

Sandro get more assists, 3.2 per game over Luka and his 1.7 assists per game.

So, rebounds, assists and blocks may be due to athleticism (or lack of) and/or use (in system). If a big player is predominantly on the
    perimeter like Olynyk, or the way the Rockets used D-Mo/Terrence Jones on the perimeter. Less opportunities at times for rebounds.

Day'Ron Sharp like Kai Jones or stats off few minutes.

Sharp: 19 minutes a game.......51.9% (FG%)......0% (3P%)......50% (FT%)........7 rebs......1.4 ast........0.9 blk.........9.5 pt's.

Less FG% than Bassey and his 59% (FG%)......Bassey was leading the nation in dunks until late in the season. Lob dunks included.
    Less 3P% (0%) than Bassey and his 30.5% (3P%)
    Less rebs (7) than Bassey and his 11.6 rebs per game.
    Less blocks (0.9) than Bassey and his 3.1 blocks per game.
    But it's Sharp and his 50% (FT%) that makes him unplayable for a few years. Despite good ast numbers and reb%.

Not sure who falls back to number 22 and 24.
    Just a matter of which dominos falls. Draft before free agency.

Is Olynyk re-signing? I can see Olynyk re-signing; but I can also see Kelly signing with Dallas (no picks)
    or Knicks/Hornets/Kings others paying him big to do much the same as with the Rockets.
    Then his replacement should be considered. Sandro could fill that role.

#15 ApacheWarrior, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  16. saleem

I think Bassey might be available if he isn't taken with the 15th. I would rather have him than Ziarie Williams who avoids physical contact despite having good upside.

17. saleem

Should the Rockets take a chance on Vernz Bleijenburgh? The 6'10" athletic point forward from Belgium. He is 20 years old with elite court vision. Josh Giddy is better than him as a point guard, but he is slow. Vernz is much quicker than him.
    @ApacheWarrior, @D-rock @Nook

rockets1995 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Didn't know he declared. This draft is so deep who knows where Vrenz is drafted.

His skill set fits Rockets system especially if can really defend 1-5.

#18 D-rock, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    rockets13champs and saleem like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Like Roko Prkacin........a few years away from being a few days away

saleem likes this.