1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Imagine miraculously ending up with the #1 overall pick and the owner telling the GM to trade down once he finds out that slot has a mandated salary more or less.

BigShasta, chadyang and HP3 like this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

That's a poor analogy... more like a couple of $10s, maybe a couple of $20s, and 4 years from now $200...

Durant, Harden, and Kyrie aren't sticking together for 5 years....too volatile personalities and egos...

chadyang likes this.
  3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

We traded a stable asset, and are gambling on the potential of a future asset. It would be like selling shares of AAPL and buying way out of the money calls or LEAPs 3 years from now on something like COIN. That is a massive gamble, and not a solid risk reward strategy. There are too many variables involved to know what the return would be. A better trade would have involved lower risk and higher reward. This was a poorly executed trade completed by amateurs. The reason it was made is because they simply wanted to win now, and that strategy was very high risk low reward, and it did not work out. If they initially had the mindset that once Harden was gone, they would need to reset, they would not have backed themselves into a corner like they did. This was just poor planning. Best case scenario this team will continue to win now even if they get a stud in the draft. This ownership's ceiling is a Memphis/Indiana type squad that will never contend.

Using your $200 analogy, is like saying we will have 2 players equivalent to James Harden in 4 years. That just does not happen.

chadyang likes this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

Sure it does.. we draft 2 top 5 picks in 4 and 5 years and get 5 years of control on each versus a few years of max money harden.

You're ignoring age and cap space value.

I would have liked to get a star who wasn't overpaid but there wasn't one on the market...

Next best thing are picks and no long term money...

Also, Harden could very well be back in 2 years after dealing with kyrie..

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

You are relying on the Nets to be awful when their big 3 leave though, I just don't think that will be the case. They will maybe win a ring or two or not, and I think they will all go finish their careers somewhere else (or maybe just all re-sign there for a max). Harden to Houston maybe, KD to maybe LA, who knows. They will probably be traded vs just signing as free agents, and get good assets back to be a decent team. When KD left the Warriors they got D-Lo which turned into Wiggins, they didn't just lose him for nothing. They will get good assets in return. Hell, I could see us trading some of their picks back for Harden.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

oh lawd wtf did i just read?

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I know it is hard for you, just keep trying, you will get there one day.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Your last sentence I quoted is one of the worst/ignorant/asinine/dumb/stupid/mediocre/moronic/boneheaded/foolish/dimwitted things ever written not only on this site, not only on a message board but on the internet itself.

joking joking, it was Extremely intelligent!

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If Magic took John wall, and traded 4 and 10 for Cade. Im all in.

Trackwell likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think their health is the main reason they won't stay together more than 3 years.

Durant is already on a steep decline physically.

Kyree is just plain crazy and could blow a fuse at any moment.

Even Harden has missed some time .... he's got a whole lot of miles on that body.

They all have player options in 22/23 for huge money, I think they'll play those options out and that's the end of their collective time in Brooklyn. I can't see the team extending them for max money for 3-4 more years after that season , not all of them being 35 or older.
    Then there's the luxury tax issues and lack of draft capital to improve the team around those aging stars with the Rockets owning their draft for the next 7 years.

Trackwell and Plowman like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Crazy how deep this draft is.

Going to be some good players available for a song in 2nd round.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even if Rockets luck out to top 4 draft but are not in position to take Cade-Mobley-Green, the I hope they trade down couple spots, even to bottom of top 10.

I prefer future assets/players + either Scottie Barnes, Kai Jones, Usman Garuba or Jalen Johnson over Kuminga.

BamBam and juanming like this.
  13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

How many players on the current roster do you think are a key part of the team going forward? Apparently, you think a lot. You would be in the vast minority. Rockets need LOTS of players. Meaning, they need LOTS of picks. Plus, those slightly lower picks often work out as better players, anyway.

#73 BigDog63, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lol, huh?? U sound foolish if u think I think that. No, the Rockets don’t need LOTS of players. They need high end talent with star potential. Tell me the probability of making an All-Star game or All-NBA the lower u go in the draft...

D-rock likes this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We’ll see. I wouldn’t be surprised if some trade was made. Tilman probably ain’t happy about paying three first round slotted contracts.

ApacheWarrior, D-rock and juanming like this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Take Cade at 1 and move up for Kispert or Butler.

17. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Exactly, and you could use every one of those adjectives to describe Tilman. Which is why I would assume he and this FO would make such a move, and then celebrate it as a win. That is how ridiculous their transaction history has been. Maybe they'll hire you for using 5th grade vocabulary, and thinking you did something.

peleincubus likes this.
  18. JW86

JW86 Member

How about we trade everything we have to get as many top 6-7 picks as possible..

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I copied/pasted your post into paperrater.com and it said it was 4th grade level. You lose again kid!

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I still think trade down a few spots is smart play if neither Cade-Green-Mobley are gone.

Scottie Barnes at 6th or 7th spot would be a win in my book.

Or even Kai Jones or Garuba at 9th or 10th overall.