1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. sydmill

sydmill Member

I don't know. Maybe to move up higher (maybe for a lottery pick?) I would package those picks. There is just so much value in rookie contracts (4 years at low money before restricted fa) and the talent level in this draft is high. I think the Rockets could easily pull rotation players at the portland and milwaukee picks.

Trackwell and fattz like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cade will probably be a PF/backup 5 with the Rockets?

[​IMG]

Cade is ranked so high because he’s 6’8 and very skilled...all that stuff about leadership and intangibles is just extra

Cade and Shane Battier isn’t a comparison at all. If Battier could shoot off the dribble, ISO, run PnR, score, and pass, then he would no longer be Shane Battier. Might as well call Jokic a suped up version of Omer Asik because they’re both big, white, and slow.

Shoot over and outmuscle guys is exactly what Cade’s been doing. You’re talking like he’s going to be a scrub and the slowest dude in the NBA...

Cade Cunningham is 6’8 and 220 lbs. Cade can play multiple positions, so he doesn’t need to be the full-time PG. That’s the beauty of being versatile. People are still stuck in this mindset that if u don’t have elite athleticism, u will struggle mightily in the NBA. He will adjust the same way everyone else who doesn’t have elite athleticism adjusts. By using his skill and change of pace, and by taking advantage of the huge increase in spacing in comparison to college basketball.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

end of the day I'll be happy if we get anybody in the top 4. Cade, Green, Mobley, Suggs, Kuminga.

4. rockets13champs

Problem with Orlando is they also never drafted a superstar. Or none of that talent became a star. U throw a better player like Zion or. Even Ja Morant on the magic they look completely different. All those other players would start meshing well

Easy likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Can Day'Ron Sharpe be a Jokic lite?

The only thing he needs to improve is his shooting but I can see him being a 20pt, 12rbd, 7asst, 3blks kind of player in 2-3 years. Remember, hes younger than Mobley and a more traditional center. Which is what the Rockets really need. He would definitely improve our rebounding. I think he will be in the lottery when the draft rolls around.
    As I mentioned before, if I had to choose between Mobley and Sharpe, I would pick Sharpe. At least we know exactly what we're going to get with him.

fattz likes this.
  6. Houstonharden

Houstonharden Member

Seems like no one here has been keeping up with Cade having Achilles issues. Not a good sign for someone who has to run up and down a basketball court

RudyTBag likes this.
  7. BreakYoSelfFool

I think Cade will be fine as a player, I just think he will be more of a swiss army type wing than the point forwards and pgs he is compared to. Cade has a lot of things he does well, but I don't see anything that he does at an elite level for NBA players, especially when it comes to creating own shot. He seems to be good a making tough shots in college, but the reason he is took tougher shots more contested shots is because he didn't get by his man often or create space off the dribble. If this is the case in college it will also be in the NBA. He will be guarded tighter by bigger stronger guys and have more trouble off the dribble. This is why I don't think he will be a ballhandling guard in the NBA. I also think the ability to create off the dribble is a requirement for a superstar player.

I agree Battier wasn't the best comparison, but he was a high lottery pick who was winner and unselfish player who contributed more to winning basketball than the stat sheet showed. He also found ways to help on offense despite not being able to create his own shot off the dribble. There are plenty of ways to be a good player on offense without creating off the dribble and plenty of guys who are great basketball players without that ability. I think Cade will be very good off the ball and in pick and roll similar to guys like Klay Thompson, Gordon Haywood, Khris Middleton.

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's cause he doesn't have achilles issues. The only injury this year he had was a minor ankle sprain

9. fattz

fattz Member

We need solid production with well rounded players and that is what Sharpe is. I really don’t want him handling the ball that much to get 7 assets. Having the skills to do it is great but do we really want to take the ball out of the top picks, Porter, or Wood’s hands. Hitting cutters and high BBIQ is great and will add to what we are doing. Maybe KO type of play is the value added by him. Let’s not run the offense through him though. You maybe right, the closer the draft comes the higher his value will increase. As of now in the mock drafts we can pick him up with the first of our picks in the twenties. Fingers crossed.

He is my personal pick to help the team, too. Rebounding then everything else. He fits everything we need and everything we want to become. I think he can play the role of the 2nd big in Silas’ Dallas offense & be the anchor we need on defense. He and Wood pair really well. With or without Wood, Sharpe needs to become a Rocket this summer.

coachbadlee likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

The talent tier level of players in this draft are high and large. In mock drafts the same player can go as high as the mid teens then when run again (same settings) the same player may go in the middle of the second round. I bring this up because there are only so many picks 60 total. There will be a lot of undrafted players that normally get picked. That means there are opportunities to make the team better. As we all know Tate was undrafted maybe we can do it again.
    Some names:
    Jericho Sims, Texas
    Quentin Grimes, U of H
    Chris Smith, UCLA

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope we keep all three 1sts. Love those long, cheap rookie deals...

sydmill likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Watching Boston and was wondering how tall Tatum is. The google says 6’8... same as Cade.

Tatum Also has that “slow, methodical” approach to the game.

13. Damion Laverne

Need wing players

Need wing players

Need wing players

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There were some reports that he’s now grown to 6-10. But agree that it’s an interesting comp — good, not elite athleticism. Probably better than Cade’s, but not as talented a passer.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He looks bigger .... but whether 6’8 or 6’10 his and Cades games seem very similar. That’s the main upside comp in my mind.

I also think ... bough just barely... that Cade’s athleticism is underrated. Absent Zion... everyone’s athleticism in college looks meh

16. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

this!

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You don't think there is a chance that he would be available at portland's or the buck's pick? he does look really good.

saleem likes this.
  18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

need everything. take the most talented.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good comparison. cade might be a 3/4 defensively but will be the PG on offense. he will need to play with guards who can play off ball on offense and on ball on defense. so 3&D guards who can act as secondary and tertiary ball handlers. thinking of prime beverly and gordon.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The closer we get to the draft the more his name will pop up. I don't think he will make it out of the lottery.

BamBam likes this.