1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

We’ve been hearing stars heading to New York for years. And people including myself have been laughing at those for years. Everyone from lebron to kd over the years

jimmy butler was heavily influenced by Dwade to go to Miami. Even harden couldn’t get to him like that. Because he simply defined the heat culture and what Riley wants

kawhi/pg13 simply went home. One right after winning a ring and being FA. The other leaving a shittty situation and leaving westbrick behind by forcing his way out to follow kawhi

kyrie/kd are both elite players who have won, who don’t need to wait on anyone else. They know players will follow them at some point

#961 YOLO, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  2. BreakYoSelfFool

Why do you think that Cade is a better prospect? I think Cade will struggle a little to get his shot off in the NBA. In college he is bigger stronger and more talented than everyone, but I don't see that in the pros. I know someone on here mentioned Luka evaluations pre draft, but Cade is nothing like Luka. Luka was breaking pros down off the dribble in the Euroleague at 16. Much like Harden, Luka has always been able to create shots with his handles, footwork, and his change of pace and direction to make up for his perceived lack of a quick first step. Countless Euros had their ankles broken by Luka and many more got posterized. For reference check Luka Euroleague highlights.
    Luka Dončić TOP 10 PLAYS (UPDATED) - YouTube

Cunningham does not get much separation but has been able to score in tight spaces due to being bigger and stronger than most of the college competition. I don't think he will be able to do this as well against NBA competition. I don't see anything like Doncic in Cade's offensive game.
    Cade Cunningham OSU 2020-21 Full Season Highlights | 20.1 PPG 6.2 RPG 3.5 APG, Number 1 Pick! - YouTube

Jalen Green has been a top NBA prospect since before High School
    Imagine playing pickup with and guarding these guys at 16 years old:
    Kevin Durant and Devin Booker MONSTER WORKOUT with 16 YEAR OLD JALEN GREEN - YouTube (is that Ariza also giving Jalen buckets?)

Or training with Luka Doncic and Steph Curry at 16:

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Can someone in simple terms explain to me how many picks we might be able to have this year, 3 or 4?

What are the worst and the best outcomes?

Also, does anyone think we can trade down our draft picks plus someone?

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

We currently have 3 picks.

Pick one: Ours if it falls inside the top 4. Otherwise we get Miami's pick (currently that would be pick 16).
    Pick two: Portland's pick unless that pick falls below pick 14 (currently it is pick 22).
    Pick three: Milwaukee's pick unless that pick falls below 9 (currently it is pick 25).

Picks 2 and 3 are almost assured. Pick one will be determined at the draft lottery in June.

5. dmoneybangbang

But none are guards.... that's why players like Luka, Ben Simmons and Lebron were drafted so high (different type of players but have height and can run an offense).

Shane Battier wasn't the first option while running the offense at Duke. It's Cade at number one for me and it's not even close. Jalen Green looks like a great scorer but the rest of his game doesn't scream #1 pick.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm thinking maybe they should package those last 2 picks and try to move up right out side the lottery. Like #16-18.

Corrosion and saleem like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not disagreeing with drafting BPA, especially in lottery.

But once a critical need has been identified, where do you propose to address it?

If Rockets strategy is ONLY to draft or sign BPA then we will be the Orlando Magic.

Talented but unbalanced, position heavy, on treadmill of mediocrity.

Verbal Christ and coachbadlee like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Using Lebron, KD or even Harden as your support for talent over fit is unrealistic.

Your examples are once in a generation type talent.

Expecting to draft that caliber of player every draft is unreasonable.

But you can build successful teams with complementary players to fit the system.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

What does suped up version of Shane Battier even mean? People just pluck comparisons out of nowhere.

so now we have Shaun Livingston, Wiggins, and Shane Battier as comps for Cade in this thread

for Jalen Green, we have Kobe

and for Mobley, we have KG or Bosh

lol

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

And on a side note you never see Matt Maloney comparisons. :(

Scarface and D-rock like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Theoretically, you can always trade for needs. At this point, the Rockets' number 1 priority is to get a franchise level player, doesn't matter what position he plays. When you get that player, you build a team to fit around that player. You don't look for a franchise player that fits your current team. The current team is fluid. The franchise player is your cornerstone. That's why BPA is always the right way to go.

We have seen time and again teams drafted for their needs and ended up with a mediocre player and missed out on a historic great talent. Exhibit #1: Sam Bowie (they needed a big man!) over Michael Jordan.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I do not think you are understanding the point I was making.

Whether through trade, FA or draft a team still needs to fill their needs.

I already agreed that BPA should always be used for a lottery pick, I would even expand that to contending teams regardless of draft position or round.

Easy likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My bad for missing your point. Personally, I still believe that BPA should be the guiding principle in the draft. There are many ways to balance your roster. But when you are drafting, you only have one shot at getting the highest value you can get at that draft position. Good players on rookie contracts are great trade assets.

D-rock likes this.
  14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I have no idea what a suped up Battier means. Hopefully that's a comparison to Cade's defense because Battier sucked on offense.

If I squint on those ugly clips showing Cade isolating I can see the broken down Livingston awkward but effective post scoring comparisons but that's it.

I have no idea why, but when I see some of the videos of Green shooting it reminds me of Ray Allen.

lmao if we got the top pick in the draft and came out of it with Battier 2.0.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

maybe because Green gets a lot of elevation on his shot like Ray Allen did

Shane Battier couldn’t do anything on offense except for spot up three point shooting, so calling Cade a souped up version of him makes zero sense...the only thing they have in common is being 6’8 and lightskin

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well the top 3-4 B(Ps)A in the draft are all what this team needs. So we're good either way.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Plus Cades defense is suspect. Nothing at all like Battier.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I think you are right about the elevation. I just went back to look at Allens shooting (it's been years), and they aren't really much alike other than that.

Green's shot looks robotic (the wide stance on every attempt) and exaggerated(he looks like he is getting a ton of air time on every shot, moreso than allen at least on the clips I saw), but hey, if it works for him I guess.

Reeko likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you make solid points and indeed i have Green as #2 right now. I never bought into Mobley as much as the tourney hyped him up, I like Suggs as a solid player, but not a top 3 pick, and Kuminga was the lesser player compared to Green and can't shoot (as of yet).

I still take Cade over Green right now. I think he has a methodical rhythm to his game that IS indeed Luka like, just also indeed hampered by the college game. college basketball is a different beast man. watching college basketball after watching NBA is like watching high school, then watching elementary school kids. there's no spacing, no teammates with massive skill, etc. I think Cade will learn ways to get to his spots in the NBA, where the game is spaced out. I think he has the tools to be the better ballhandler, and assist man. But indeed, if Green comes out and produces more pure points right out the gate, i won't be surprised. BUt the NBA isn't JUST about scoring. Cade has the size and tools to be a better more versatile defender. I also think Cade has a higher floor. Green has the potential to be an all star SG... or JR Smith.

I only hope this debate is meaningful at the end of the day.

20. BreakYoSelfFool

In my opinion a big reason Cade is ranked so high is because of his leadership, character, basketball IQ, and intangibles. Along with those similarities with Battier there is the height, build, strength, average athleticism and quickness, and also lightskinnedness. Not the best comparison, but sounded better description Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway/Lebron/MagicJohnson/AndreIguadola/Shaun Livingston without the athleticism. I can't think of any great point forwards or great point guards period who couldn't beat guys or create space off the dribble. Great point forwards are a mismatch because they can beat bigger guys off the dribble or shoot over and outmuscle smaller guys. I think Cade is going to struggle to get by guys in the NBA, and as a result will not be playing PG effectively. What happens when he gets bigger, more athletic guys guarding him, how will he adjust?

If he gets drafted by the Rockets, he will probably be PF/backup 5 with his size.

#980 BreakYoSelfFool, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021