1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porter’s Effort Level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 10, 2021.

1. DonatelloLimestone

KPJ is a 2nd year player with his real first big shot at minutes and responsibility. He is an absolute pleasant surprise in his productivity. This is a huge learning year not to mention he is being developed and asked to play the most responsible position in the game. I can see him being an elite 6th man(ginobili, Lou will, Clarkson) who is just a playmaker and can control the game. I don’t get the stigma of being a 6th man, those minutes still all count towards the final score and the smart teams know that.
    He’s got talent, he seems to always look to where he can improve in interviews so with a growth mindset he should shore up any of these young player lapses and if he keeps his head focused, we got a special one on our hands...now paying him after two years with our franchise is a whole different story we’ll have to see to believe. Luckily we got time and opportunity to do all that.

And another gem we don’t even question the effort :

2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Maybe because this is his first year playing PG at a high level much less in the NBA...and he isn’t even old enough to drink a beer yet.

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

People keep forgetting the “never played point guard” part before...he’s 20 years old, learning a new position and trying to keep his head on straight after character issues his past two stops. He’s going to get so much better...this kid will be a star.

4. TimDuncanDonaut

Transitioning to a PG takes some time.

With Jamal Murray going down; media covered him more. Murray started his rookie season as a SG, played next to Jameer Nelson (PG) at the 2016-2017 season. Transitioned to the PG role his sophomore year; 5 years now in the league. Jokic was quoted in saying that at the beginning he didn't see Jamal other than a SG. Took time for the chemistry to gel.

Verbal Christ, saleem and D-rock like this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If there anyone that has the potential to truly mimic Harden's game, KPJ is the guy. He just needs some go-to offensive moves to be more of a scoring threat which will open up his passing even more. I'm not saying he can ever be as good as Harden, I just think he could mimic his game to a certain extent.

#145 rockbox, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Okay scoot

D-rock likes this.
  8. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Somehow it does not have that ring to it, like Glyde, or Dream.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If he is ever as good as Glyde or Dream, it will.

sirjesse and D-rock like this.
  10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Just an ear:

Porter is/should be part of our future.

Is not pleased with the fluctuating playing time and role.

He's young, but too talented to not develop in this horrendous season made by Til and Stone.

I don't blame him. We have a coach who was overrated outside of Dallas and an owner and GM, well, nevermind.

John Wall will not be a Rocket next year. I know that much is certain.

Wish you well.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How many picks are we attaching to Wall to get rid of him?

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL porter already complaining about playing time for someone with character issues at 20 years old whose done nothing. Aside from not even winning, dude is averaging over 30 mins a game for a month now and counting. And even over that mark for the entire year. that's just pretty dumb on his part for sure

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe I missed it but when was he complaining about playing time?

charlieaustin likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am actually ok attaching some picks with him, would have to look at all we have to make a decision on which ones but would definitely explore that possibility.

I like Wall but he is not the veteran you want in a rebuild.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Seems like you been waiting to have something negative to say about KPJ because that's pretty flimsy evidence of him complaining about playing time.

It's also not that big a deal with NBA players who have huge egos.

I don't know what his character issues have to do with anything have they been an issue since he was traded?

charlieaustin and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He just wants a defined role. Some of y’all and y’all agendas are so see-through. With all of the injuries and suspect coaching, it’s been a jigsaw puzzle on offense

charlieaustin likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. I don't need to speak on him much because there's not much to talk about. it definitely is an issue when youre someone like him already complaining especially when hes getting more minutes than he should and he didn't even really earn them. The rockets suck so theyre forced to play him heavy minutes and hes still complaining. This is obviously coming from Cod so that's where the response is directed. We're not talking about other nba players. This is porter specifically

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's no such thing as a defined role in his case. Dude is barely in the door getting another opportunity to play and heavy minutes at that. hes nowhere near close to being entitled about minutes and what not.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How has he not "earned it"? He's scoring at similar effiency to the former starter in EG with a much higher assist/to production than EG. He definitely belongs as a starter relative to who we had before injuries.

And being 20 vs EG being in his 30s matters a lot because that production when you are 20 means you are no where near you ceiling of production and effiency while in your 30s you are past your prime which means playing one over the other is much more valuable for the future of the team.

mac_got_this likes this.
  20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

So you basically don’t like him as a basketball player. Who on the team deserves more minutes for opportunistic development than KPJ. Let me know because you obviously see someone with mor potential on This roster.

It’s foolish to say he hasn’t earned or don’t deserve the minutes he’s getting

charlieaustin and D-rock like this.