1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Who do you have to sleep with to get a license, anyway? ... Wait, that didn't come out right.

2. Damion Laverne

“Whoops, it comes out like a water fountain.

Sticky, ain’t it sweetheart?” *thrusts harder*

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

As V-Ice would tell you, it's schlong.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Watson wasn’t looking for massages so we can throw the licensed/unlicensed discussion right out the window. He was looking for sex. The only question is how inappropriate he was in his quest.

Nook, jiggyfly and Pistol Pete like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Larkesha Christie
    Lineth Balza
    Chelcie Bell
    Toi Garner
    Rebecca Leigh Nagy
    Robinitta Miller
    LaToya Johnson Hanks
    Marchelle Davis
    Kimberly Brice
    Kyla Hayes
    Jessica Wright
    Christina Lee
    Samantha Harris
    Tangee Johnson
    Kaylan Hurrington
    Lauren Baxley
    Tavi Turner
    Krystle Da Rosa
    Sheneé Lawson
    Ashley Solis
    _______

I unfollowed all of them.

Nook, jiggyfly and BigM like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Erica Chapman

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

He answered the phone to hear the gravelly twang of the lawyer famous sports figures in this city turn to when they are accused of wrongdoing: Rusty Hardin.

The men exchanged pleasantries, Buzbee recalled, and then Buzbee made an offer.

“Your guy’s got some kind of weird problem ... alleged problem,” Buzbee said he told Hardin. “This is already spiraling in a bad direction. ... Why don’t we try to resolve this now?”

Buzbee had filed three lawsuits against Watson by then, and he told Hardin he had another four ready to go, he said. Buzbee had tried to settle weeks earlier, he told Hardin, but had been rebuffed by the quarterback’s management at the firm Athletes First, whom Buzbee characterized to Hardin, he said, as “arrogant, dismissive jackasses.”

According to Buzbee, Hardin asked to have until 5 p.m. the next day to confer with Watson and his management. At 7 p.m. the following day, Buzbee said, he got a text from Hardin informing him there would be no settlement.

“And away we go,” Buzbee said during an hour-long interview Wednesday, in which he offered the most detailed account to date of the legal battle behind the scandal that has engulfed the career of one of the NFL’s most promising young stars.

Hardin, in a brief phone interview Wednesday, disputed the veracity of some of Buzbee’s remarks but declined to get into specifics, citing a wave of legal filings he plans to make next week.

“There are many inaccuracies in what Tony has said, but I would rather address them in court filings than in an article,” Hardin said.

Three more of Buzbee’s clients recently spoke to Houston police, Buzbee said Wednesday, bringing the publicly known total of accusers involved with the law enforcement investigation of Watson to five. A spokesman for Houston police declined to comment.

“Most people know that if I’m involved, they probably want to resolve the case,” Buzbee said. But he said that in his initial conversations with Scott Gaffield, general counsel for Athletes First, it quickly became clear that Watson’s management didn’t take the case seriously.

“I said: ‘Let me tell you how this is going to go down: I’m going to file the case. The press is going to pick it up. It’s going to be a circus. ... He’s going to have to hire Rusty Hardin.’ And here we are,” Buzbee said. “This guy was so clueless about how things work.”

Presented with Buzbee’s version of events, Gaffield declined to comment Wednesday, referring a reporter to an earlier statement in which he said: “We did not think that the facts showed that Deshaun did anything wrong with their client. ... We expect that this matter will be resolved in court.”

Buzbee said he initially suggested the sides enter in private, confidential mediation. Gaffield rejected that, Buzbee said, and asked for a demand letter outlining what Solis wanted. Buzbee offered to settle the case for $100,000, he said, which Gaffield also rejected.

“We don’t believe that the alleged facts show that Deshaun did anything wrong ... but we are nevertheless happy to continue the conversation around a reasonable settlement figure because we believe he can learn a lesson about having put himself in this situation,” Gaffield wrote Feb. 19 in an email Watson’s legal team publicly released this month.

“He wanted us to bid against ourselves,” Buzbee said. “And I was done.”

In his first extensive public remarks about the case last week, Hardin criticized Buzbee and his clients for engaging in a “new kind of extortion using social media and salacious innuendo.”

Buzbee laughed and mocked this defense and other remarks Hardin made last week.

“Rusty and I get along smashingly. ... He’s a fighter, he’s smart, and he’s good on his feet. … But I think he’s been dealt a bad hand here,” Buzbee said.

To Hardin’s explanation that Watson turned to Instagram to arrange massages because of the pandemic?

“Because of covid, he was reaching out to dozens of different people on Instagram? For massages? ... Because of covid, you would think he would have one person who had tested negative,” Buzbee said.

To Hardin’s argument that any sex acts that occurred in these massages with Watson were consensual?

“So you’ve just told the world who’s watching that your client paid for sex? … My grandma always said: ‘You’re digging yourself a hole already. Stop digging,’” Buzbee said.

Minutes later, Buzbee walked out of his office on the 73rd floor of the tallest building in Texas, past walls decorated with press clippings celebrating his legal career and conference rooms with door handles shaped like sharks. He joked, toward the end of the interview, that he would be willing to bet $100,000 that Watson’s managers wished they had settled with him back in February.

“This has gone pretty much the way I thought it would so far, but we’ll see where it goes from here,” he said. “I’m encouraged and optimistic.”

likestohypeguy likes this.
  8. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure I understand the logic here - if he had settled for $100,000 with Solis, that would still leave Buzbee with 21 more cases, right? And it seems like each client could up the demand, since there's no point in settling just 1 or 5 or 15, if the remainder go public anyway.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. likestohypeguy

Because of the avatar, I keep reading these in the voice of steve harvey.

Nook likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If they're not licensed, it brings about a valid (but still illegal) arrangement of essentially prostitution. That opens a whole new can of worms, though. Good and bad for the defense, I suppose.

jiggyfly, Pistol Pete and BigM like this.
  11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Looks like they have all scrubbed their online presence.. .

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lets say he had to pay 10 mil it is still probably worth it. I am sure hardin isn't cheap. All his sponsors have dropped him. He is probably going to get suspended. That 10 mil is going to be less than what he is going lose because of this.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Can't really blame them given the harassment and abuse they are about to face from Watson's fans and incel types.

No need to make it easier for them to go after those women and their families and friends.

Nook and Damion Laverne like this.
  14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So only 5 out of 21 accusers weren't breaking the law providing unlicensed massage therapy.......

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Deshaun Watson proving that his having the lowest Wonderlick score of the 2017 QB draft class wasn’t a fluke. The guy is a bonafide idiot. He will probably recover from this, but it’s going to be hard to look at him the same ever again.

Bobbythegreat and Pistol Pete like this.
  16. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Therapists" working without training or a license aren't attracting clientele without other services being involved. It's likely that your mileage may vary as to exactly what they will offer. These unlicensed workers can not seriously claim Watson's conduct was so shocking that it scarred them for life. It's the dark side of that business that they chose. Buzbee should have stuck with licensed therapists as clients.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed but it seems watson is going to be stubborn. Its hard for a guy to admit defeat but arguing 20+ massage is "normal" is really stupid.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

starting to think watson shows his penis more than the cop on deuce bigalow

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Watson scored a 20 on the Wonderlic. We've replaced him with Tyrod Taylor, who scored a 15.

HIDE THE MASSAGE LUBE

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

barf. what an absolute shi**t take.
    no means no dude.
    Prostitutes and hoes are still people.

Regardless of the profession a person deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.

fu*ck you for saying otherwise.

Nook and Bobbythegreat like this.