1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Since we are ahead of the curve....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Apr 14, 2021.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

Wrong, wrong and yes, wrong again!

I never said we have significant Cap Space, that Rookies would more than average nor that KPJ is Harden.

But since you mentioned those points, lets pinpoint them.

We have enough to sign a Duncan Robinson.

KPJ, although he's NOT Harden, you must admit he's impressive for his first yr playing point guard

And there have been many a Rookies that have had impressive Rookie yrs; Magic, Bird, Hakeem, etc. Never, say never!

Nice to know you are a FOLLOWER

#21 ballgame, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Do u even know how much cap space we’re slated to have?

as for Duncan Robinson....

“Two NBA officials conveyed that they believe Robinson will get a deal this summer that will pay him anywhere between $15 million and $20 million annually,” Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reported.

so yeah, no...

yes, if a miracle occurs and we draft a generational all-time great like Magic, Bird, or Hakeem, then they will have great impact as a rookie

nice to know you’re delusional AF...tell us more about how we’re right there with the Lakers

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Need to dump walls contact to be flexible enough for broke ferntits to allow giving away BFF Cash Considerations or buying SRP.

D-rock likes this.
  4. ballgame

ballgame Member

As I stated before, nice to know you're a FOLLOWER and obviously I got your attention because you chose to use words "AF", which means I really have your ATTENTION. So, let me explain it in Layman's terms.

The Rockets have things that are called ASSETS and these assets can be used to spend on players for NOW or LATER.

For instance, I don't think they are going to use all three 1st rnd draft picks this yr. Having a team full on 1st and 2nd yr players is not good, if you're trying to make the Playoffs, you need a balanced roster.

I think one pick this yr and possibly a future pick can be used to unload Wall and his contract. Morey did it with Horford just this past off-season. And by unloading his contract, you can....Here's another word I'll teach you, besides ASSETS...CREATE!

You can CREATE Cap space to maneuver and pickup players. Well, that's my lesson for today....and keep FOLLOWING you just might learn a thing or two!

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not hating on the team, but there's a lot of mental mistakes that kill us. Is it Popovich vs Silas that you attribute the difference to? I think there's talent there but I need to see them be able to put it together as a squad. The Spurs are doing that.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

I think you forgot who our owner is.

Instead of asking whether or not we can get the 8th seed, the real question should be I wonder how we can save money this offseason?

D-rock likes this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i honestly think we could sneak into the playoffs next year if:
    1) snag a top 4 pick
    2) have an aggressive offseason
    3) injuries are minimal
    4) actually try to win an not tank

...but i think theyre planning on a 2 year tank job to stockpile assets... imo...

and idk why people keep assessing this team based on their post Wood injury performance - when we obviously went full throttle into tank mode at that point...

8. ballgame

ballgame Member

I 100% wholeheartedly agree! Keep in mind, this is Silas's and Raefel Stone's 1st yr, the Harden and Westbrrok situation , in addition to the rash of injuries the Rockets endured....this has been a difficult yr.

As I stated initially, lets give them a Off-Season, a Draft and let's see what happens under a normal n yr

Corpusfan and napalm06 like this.
  9. ballgame

ballgame Member

Well, let's see....I'm not going to the bank on it but they just might pickup a player.

10. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

When Emoni Bates and Cade Cunningham are wearing Rockets jerseys, then we can talk about making playoffs and spending in FA

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Only if the corner is 2023. We need two killer drafts and then sign a star in free agency the year Wall is off the books.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

U said we have money to spend in free agency, currently enough to afford Duncan Robinson. I easily destroyed that nonsense so now u hilariously try to pivot to things like unloading John Wall to create space. LOL

Tell us more about how we were up there with the Lakers.

luckyman76, jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hope OP was graded on a curve.

14. ballgame

ballgame Member

Obviously you're a Laker's Fan but nobody is perfect! Lol. I, along with others, were enamored with Christian Woods and HOPED that Harden would buy in. Notice, I said Harden buying in....well he didn't! However, I still think we have a good roster but many things occurred; Harden creating controversy, injuries, trades, etc. a bad year and things happen.

Furthermore, when LeBron first came to the Lakers, they were a lottery team....they had a great off-season and won the championship the next . GIVE THE ROCKETS THAT TIME TOO and before you say, "So, you think they are going to win a Championship like the Lakers did LeBron's 2nd yr?" No, but I do think they can make it to the Playoffs... from there, we'll see.

15. ballgame

ballgame Member

Doesn't matter what I did in school.....it's what you do when you get out! CHA CHING

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You're not making cents.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think its out of the question that they are a 40-44 win team next year if everything falls into place and a couple of the young guys take major steps in their development.

Free agency will be interesting .... particularly Olynyk and either the $14ish million in cap space they can have if they relinquish all or most of their cap holds or the NT-MLE otherwise.

You don't have the money to get a lead dog .... but you can find a solid contributor in the $9m rage of that NT-MLE.

I really can't see them keeping 3 rookies on the roster from the 3 first round picks they are slated to have .... There's quite a few options there , a euro stash , trade up , trade for a future pick or package one or more for a player.

They have the ability to get significantly better faster than one might think.

The big leap tho will be the trade deadline in 22/23 as both EG and Wall will be expiring. That's when they can make a high salary addition or two.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I can’t believe Jopatmc is back y’all.

luckyman76 likes this.
  19. ballgame

ballgame Member

Agree

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. There is no real money to spend in free agency. We will have the MLE and the LLE and that's about it.
    2. Did you really even include Armoni Brooks after one good game?
    3. No, seriously, did you really just include Armoni Brooks after one good game?

HP3 likes this.