1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[thedrinkbusiness.com]Yao Family Wines to capitalise on NFT boom

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Apr 13, 2021.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Yao Family Wines, former NBA basketball star Yao Ming’s winery in Napa Valley, is releasing its top label – ‘The Chop’ – alongside a limited edition NFT at auction.

Having blazed a trail in the art world, the wine industry is catching up with the NFT trend. Yao Family Wines is the first winery in the world to offer a wine up for auction paired with a NFT digital collectible.

The Chop Drop wine auction event will go live on 14 April (Wednesday) 12pm PST for 48 hours.

The Chop Drop wine and NFT auction offers 200 paired lots. The bottle #11 of The Chop and NFT #11 will be brought in for a special auction as for paying homage to the year that Yao Family Wines released its first vintage, and for the number Yao Ming wore during his NBA career.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2021/04/yao-family-wines-to-capitalise-on-nft-boom/

tinman and sirjesse like this.
  2. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

NFTs have got to be about the dumbest thing created since fidget spinners.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’m too old and dumb to understand this kind of thing.

JD88 and sirjesse like this.
  4. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

That was a non sufficient funds transfer back in the day.

napalm06 likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is he even willing (or allowed?) to acknowledge the Rockets anymore

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

639F879D-6428-4736-8900-D1D1AEE9B659.jpeg This is Yao’s real HOF ring. They let me put it on when they found out I was a Rockets fan. 30D92BD4-6641-44B5-92E5-B6AF9B317201.jpeg

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@B-Bob
    You been here before ?
    Not the winery, the GARM :D

Brother
    Maybe I’ll check it out. Grab a glass

freemaniam likes this.
  8. DonatelloLimestone

Can someone young and hip explain these to the 40 over crowd?

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only when Tmac leads us past the first round bro

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another blockchain based business concept......lol.

I am figuring it out myself.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Didn't the NFT boom end in early March?

12. raining threes

What does NFT stand for?

13. TimDuncanDonaut

There's a nft thread in Hangout that goes into a deeper dive.

Yao's entire career was a Rocket; so the garm is fine.

It's his business. The sellers might have a very low overhead and can make some money (in Yao's case). It's buyers who may be risking a lot.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

non-fungible token

daywalker02 and raining threes like this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

I've thought about this several times now as a product purchasing incentive for individual wines. And I've flipped sides a few times on if it's a good idea. I've settled on the fact that it would help the wine sell. But the opportunity cost of not cashing in on the NFT's because he's basically giving them away, seems like a lost opportunity. It like selling the pack of cards with a special insert card so they are bought, when you could sell the insert card for more money than the pack. So it seems a little backward to me, but I may change my mind again.

If it's an auction item then he is actually selling the NFT, not the wine. It's like the wine is the add on. And then you would have to ask what is the point. Getting the wine into people's hands is small potatoes compared to the NFT market. Wine margin is probably 40% and yearly profit is based on how long you've been in the market. So why not put all those people to work making NFT's instead of wine where the margin and profits are much larger.

#15 PhiSlammaJamma, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not a F%$ing Thing

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

My favorite thing about this article is that it doesn't even bother explaining what NFT is. I, personally, have no idea. I thought about googling it but decided it's more fun not to know.

charlieaustin likes this.
  18. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

raining threes likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's an attempt of "proof of ownership" of people owning a digital asset. The concept was originally not for nerds to invest $120K into, but for rights holders to prove they created the first instance of something. It was for copyright protection. For example if you're a photographer and upload a photo online, you can prove that the "first" instance of it was yours.

A blockchain is a distributed ledger where no one person can own the truth, the truth is distributed across the system and is much harder to distort/steal/tamper with (hence the term "non-fungible", or the NF in NFT). (Contrast this to a historical database system where if the database crashes, the truth is lost.) Therefore if the blockchain says you "own" a thing, you "own" that thing. Because of this, crypto maniacs who have made too much money off of the speculative boom of bitcoin and ethereum are paying tons of USD value to have a blockchain say that they "own" a digital piece of artwork, or a digital song file, or a digital basketball video.

It's still sort of the equivalent of saying you own a "lordship" title in Scotland because you own a 1 inch piece of land, or saying you own a plot of land on mars that you won on Ebay. But some people are buying off the hope that this concept (which does have some merit) catches on and takes over the world.

Recommended further reading if you want a cynical/informative article on crypto/NFTs.

#19 napalm06, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You buy rights to a link on a website.

If the website is down, call customer service or you're out a load of tokens.

What are tokens? It's like Dave n Buster's where you slide bills into a machine. Use those tokens to try to get tickets. The more tickets you get the more you can buy their toys. Sometimes the toys change price in tickets but if you buy early your tokens can be worth more.

So you buy the links for four tokens you got for a hundred bucks a year ago but are now worth a thousand.

People think the street value for the nft is a thousand but it's only because you're up higher on the ladder.

But because you're higher on the ladder, you might want to prop up the value by self dealing.

Why not just sell your tokens for straight up cash? Because tax and buying into "art" is a good investment/tax evasion scheme. These tokens are traceable and mostly transparent. NFTs are designed so that they don't have to be.

Tl;Dr the potential is there but it's straight up speculation right now and your money isn't guaranteed or safe. It's a safe as the webhost your nft is housed in.