1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porter’s Effort Level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 10, 2021.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yeah it's bizarre the way he tries to finish at the basket with his leaping ability being what it is. Barely any lift or explosiveness. Then he lands awkwardly and I feel like the way he torques his knee when he lands could be an issue.

#121 vator, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    gfab-babyboi, joshuaao and saleem like this.
  2. kkthksbai

kkthksbai Member

He's improved a lot in a short amount of time. Might be a monster next season when he's got more XP and has had the off-season to reflect on his mistakes. Just keep those blinders on and keep working. It's been talked to death but it is remarkable what he can do at such a young age. He's got all the time in the world to continue improving. Pretty awesome.

Oh and no more pouting when you miss a shot/three. Get back on D. I hope they will cover that in the tape session.

Bo6 likes this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

its quick - he’s used to drawing contact and getting calls - he hasn’t been getting those in the NBA. Also he has to start respecting NBA shotblockers and be more explosive when going for layups - he barely jumps most times[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I noticed too, he doesn't get much elevation on his layups. When I watch Harden, he hard plants his foot on his layups to get a lot of strength. Porter is always floating around

gfab-babyboi and saleem like this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yeah it's almost as if he's constantly probing the defense instead of attacking. You probe to find opportunities to attack. It is fine to play at your own pace, but you have to be able to switch gears when the opportunities present themselves. Like Chris Paul does for example.

saleem likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I thought he was a score first type of point guard. I feel he is most comfortable at setting other players up. Passing makes it easier for him to score. Becoming a lead PG takes a lot of time and experience. Defense and making shots in traffic is the biggest challenge for him. He is starting to get better with catch and shoot 3 opportunities. His mid range jumper is good. He might never become a star, but he might develop into a consistent 6th man. That's good enough to be a success in the NBA.

@ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He needs to be more aggressive and somehow build confidence in his three point shot. You can see he is reluctant to shoot the three. Don't worry young man, just let it go and believe in your shot

Bo6 likes this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think in conclusion, KPJ needs to find a way to workout with Harden in the off season, I think they already know each other.

Nook, conquistador#11 and saleem like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

9. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

The kid has a lot of potential. I look forward to his leap next year. One of my biggest issues with him is he doesn’t have the knowledge of the game yet and he doesn’t see the court fully. He picks up his dribble far too often and then passes the ball to somewhere that a player has already occupied vs passing it to an area where a player is going. It’s almost like a QB that hits someone in stride so they can pick up that yac vs a QB that dinks and dunks. He gets his assists with the fink and funk variety (I think the phrase has been forever changed for me by autocorrect).

I think a summer of heavy run amongst the best and a lot of time watching film will help him grow tremendously. I’m not worried about his athleticism. If anything he needs to bulk up more and work on the quick twitch muscles to take the pounding of going to the rim.

#129 Scarface, Apr 13, 2021
    Rocketeer likes this.
  10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

More like one mid-level to max player and 2 good draft picks away from being one mid-level to max player and 2 good draft picks away from contention.

saleem, Reeko, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I see potential too. But the one thing I see lacking the most is fundamentals. There's a lot of flash and funk in his game, which is good, you can't teach that.

But very basic things he needs to master before he can fly. There are things like finish a basic finger roll with contest on both sides, using his body to create space, when not to pick up your dribble, don't jump in the air and then start passing. Shooting wise, taking the time to set your feet before shooting etc.

The good thing is that his ball handling is pretty top notch already for a 20 year old. But he needs to round out the rest of his game with his dribbling.

saleem likes this.
  12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

In fairness to KPJ - there isn't a hell of a lot of continuity on the roster yet due to the rotating cast of injuries so it's not all on him that he isn't in sync with his teammates which definitely can manifest itself in picking the ball up at wrong times, or not hitting a player where he will be in an action. I mean the Rox lineup that has played the most minutes this year STILL includes James Harden if that's any indication. Couple that with the disaster that was the Rockets pre-season(trying to implement a new offensive system without half their starting lineup including their main offensive piece) and how that impacted the players who DO still remain and in theory are helping KPJ along and there are probably not a lot of times this season that everyone has truly been on the same page - especially for the kid who is like 15 games into his career on the Rox. I agree with you though that the talent is there and the real test will be how he looks once he gets a lot of reps in this offense/has had time to digest game film into actionable takeaways. The word on the street is he is a gym rat which is a great thing for a 20yr old.

Scarface and saleem like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

FWIW, I'm also encouraged by KPJ's talent level. I totally see the concerns most have for his on court play at times, but for a 20 yr old playing the most difficult position in basketball I think we do have someone worth grooming to be our future PG. The bottom line is at 20(!), he has shown he can make big offensive and defensive plays against elite teams in small spurts. The consistency he will need to work on to establish his true floor, but the ceiling is there for him to be a high level player in this league.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

If only this slacker would put in more effort. :rolleyes:o_O

15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Lol I just keep spamming my roommate with this ****. He is a massive Spurs fan and already nervous we will be better in 2 years time

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter-Wood are just so sympatico.

So effortless.

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

KPJ and Doncic have something in common. They look slow, but somehow they can ball.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nah. We got a glimpse of the future last night when there were just youngsters out on the court. They were bringing us back in against CP and the Suns starters. This team is just not this bad.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I do t think KPJ is slow. He just tends to pace himself and wait for the defense to collapse on him for his teammates.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well it will require patience. Something I believe CF's are short on. Many are ready to replace the replacements that we are trying to
    use to replace House. House<<<<<<Tate/KMjr<<<<<?Marcus Bagley this draft?<<<<<<?following yrs draft replacement?

I sometimes turn to the site 82games.com for in depth position breakdown

Here are some stats on Porter:
    Cavs (19/20) & Rockets (20/21): throw in Harden 1st yrs w/Houston (13/14 & 14/15):

Cavs (19/20): SG: 22% of teams minutes at SG used by Porter
    .........................SF: 14% of teams minutes at SF used by Porter
    Rockets (20/21): SG: 6% of teams minutes at SG used by Porter....Harden SG: 99% (13/14) & 70% (14/15)
    .............................SF: 7% of teams minutes at SF used by Porter

DrawF: 10.6 Cavs (19/20)...........7.0 Houston (20/21).......................Harden 18.3 (13/14) & 18.2 (14/15)
    Passing Rtg: 5.5 Cavs (19/20)...13.5 Houston (20/21)......................Harden 8.2 (13/14) & 9.0 (14/15)
    Ast-48 mins: 4.6 Cavs (19/20)....9.6 Houston (20/21).......................Harden 7.7 (13/14) & 9.1 (14/15)
    3P Ast: 28 Cavs (19/20)..............24 Houston (20/21).......................Harden 150 (13/14) & 249 (14/15)
    Jump Ast: 12 Cavs.......................8 Houston......................................Harden 116 (13/14) & 92 (14/15)
    Close Ast: 47 Cavs......................28 Houston.....................................Harden 118 & 157
    Dunk Ast: 22 Cavs.......................11 Houston.....................................Harden 61 & 67
    Total Ast: 109 Cavs.....................71 Houston.....................................Harden 445 & 565
    Passing T/O: 45 Cavs.................16 Houston......................................Harden 135 & 181
    Ast/Bad Pass: 2.4 Cavs..............4.4 Houston.....................................Harden 3.3 & 3.1

Rebounding: Player Rtg: 14.0 Cavs......10.5 Houston.........................Harden 11.9 & 15.3

Shot Blocking: Block Rtg: 1.9 Cavs.......2.2 Houston...........................Harden 0.8 & 2.4

Turnovers:
    Off Foul: 11 Cavs.................2 Houston.................................................Harden 32 & 37
    Bad Passes: 45 Cavs..........16 Houston...............................................Harden 181 & 135
    Ball Handling T/O: 38 Cavs...22 Houston.............................................Harden 103 & 98
    "Hands Rtg:" 13.1 Cavs.........24.1 Houston..........................................Harden 18.0 & 20.0 (higher the better)

Summary: Harden wasn't perfect in his first two seasons with the Rockets; but it wasn't the Silas system either.
    One can see the progression of Porter from rookie season to this season [50 games (19/20) to 17 games (20/21)].

Will the Rockets and/or CF's have the same patience. Probably not if young Cade/Green/Mobley come in with
    Wall/EGo coming back. At least that's my guess.

Edited: looking at D-rock posting above, 82-games.com needs to update their stats of Porters last 5 games

#140 ApacheWarrior, Apr 13, 2021
    Verbal Christ, Hesitation and saleem like this.