1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porter’s Effort Level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 10, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Imagine if he played with effort.

Verbal Christ, Bo6, kkthksbai and 2 others like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

KPJr started off poorly, but played very well onwards. This is a promising sign.
    Go KPJr Go! Keep on working hard, and success will be yours.

TimDuncanDonaut and ipaman like this.
  3. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Lol, Zach LaVine he's not...

4. PatBev

PatBev Member

Y’all be talking all that **** while he drops 22 & 14

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can understand being frustrated game to game with some bad games from Porter but the people dismissing him as nothing special and giving up on him when he's just about to turn 21 is stupid as hell.

Verbal Christ, Bo6, eliefor3 and 3 others like this.
  6. fchowd0311

KPJ is now averaging 6.6 apg on only 3.5 tpg. For a 20 year old who never really played pg before, that is shockingly good.

He still needs to gain more ball security as pesky defenders like CP3 are stealing the ball from him but I expect that to improve with a strong off-season of him knowing his goal now is to be a full time pg.

Honestly 6.6 apg is amazing when you consider Wall is eating up usage from KPJ. Without Wall I can see KPJ averaging near 8 assists this season. I think he'll be a double digit assist guy in his future. It would help KPJ a lot if we can can retain the shooters we have like Olynyk, Wood and Brooks while guys like Tate and KMJ improve their outside shot which it looks like they steadily are. This team actually has a promising group of consistent shooters for the future.

Verbal Christ, Bo6, eliefor3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

It’s almost as if he saw this thread and gave his best effort of the season. Effort level last night was much much better than the absolutely no effort level at Golden State. Fingers crossed that he can be consistent with the effort level. I don’t care if he shoots 5-20 like Wall, as long as he gives a solid effort.

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

I care that he doesn’t go to the basket enough. Is it because he can’t beat his man consistently off the dribble or simply a lack of aggression? Whatever the case, I don’t think he’ll ever reach his full potential if he can’t get to the rim at will and put pressure on defenses by that being a threat. Which elite guards don’t attack the basket much that don’t have an absolutely elite jumpshot? Doing so creates open looks for others and will give him more room on his own jumpshot. Last night he finished with an impressive stat line, but didn’t go to the basket much all game until the 4th quarter. He needs to make himself into a threat each time he touches the basketball.

Nook likes this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

KPJ is a project guys, the project might not turn out to be anything.
    he doesn't have the quickest first step, it's not as simple as just being aggressive. I've seen plenty of times where he tries to force it into the lane and either get blocked or throw up a bad miss.

He needs to up his layups reportoire, he needs to have 1 or 2 basic consistent layups that gets him baskets. Right now he throws up a lot of circus shots, sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't.

10. ballgame

ballgame Member

In the words of Lavar Ball.....HE'S A HATER!

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

[QUOTE="apollo33, post: 13518906, member: 39124"

he doesn't have the quickest first step, it's not as simple as just being aggressive. I've seen plenty of times where he tries to force it into the lane and either get blocked or throw up a bad miss.

He needs to up his layups reportoire, he needs to have 1 or 2 basic consistent layups that gets him baskets. Right now he throws up a lot of circus shots, sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't.[/QUOTE]

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think we as fans were spoiled by harden so when a player puts up good numbers, we don't really r3lecognize it bc we were so used to a good game being 30 plus points and 10 plus assists with a win.
    Kid did good today and should be recognized. Harden is awesome but dantoni helped. Also he was option A and C as in he got the first crack and then if he passed the player either shot it or gave it back to him. Kpj in that circumstance could have scored 30 plus yesterday

D-rock likes this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Imagine if he had a good game over both half’s. His numbers are tricky. Dude disappears at point a if the game last night he had a vastly superior second half to the first half. The game is four quarter and we need him productive for all four not 1 or 2 quarter.

the talent is there, he just need consistency

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like him but let's not forget even Terrance Williams got triple doubles at times.

DD

15. fchowd0311

With his age and having a high usage veteran quasi star who thinks he's the franchise, being consistent in his production is going to be difficult.

16. fchowd0311

Terrance Williams never averaged double digit points and over 3 assists in any season.

Richie_Rich, Bo6 and D-rock like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just saying we need to give him room to grow - and not get too excited until he improves his consistency.

DD

saleem likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

Okay but these Terrance Williams comparisons are stupid. Terrance Williams his rookie year was already 2 years older than KPJ is right now. In KPJ's rookie year at 19 he already beat out Williams career season averages and on better effiency.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yeah there was a moment last night when Dario Saric switched out on him and locked him up to where he had to pass it because he couldn't get around him. Dario freaking Saric of all people. As a lead guard, he needs to be able to feast on those type of matchups in order to be an elite player. Make teams consistently pay for switching the big man onto him.

It is apparent that he has talent and he's an NBA player, but he can't be our franchise player if he can't even cook a slow 6'10 guy. Nothing wrong with being a complimentary player, nothing at all. Maybe a secondary facilitator and scorer next to a truly dominant player is where he eventually slots in at and that is ok. I just need to see more to get on the bandwagon that he is the future. Not trying to be negative. I watched almost every RGV game this year just to see KPJ and KJ. Just being objective. It is a struggle for him to get to the basket on the NBA level right now. Not good for a point guard. He can improve his handle and/or get physically stronger to improve that. That's up to him.

#119 vator, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    joshuaao and saleem like this.
  20. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[/QUOTE]

its quick - he’s used to drawing contact and getting calls - he hasn’t been getting those in the NBA. Also he has to start respecting NBA shotblockers and be more explosive when going for layups - he barely jumps most times