1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porter’s Effort Level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 10, 2021.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They're not. Imagine switching John Wall with Chris Paul and drafting Cade and a good rebounding big man in this upcoming draft. Then they'll be right back in the mix.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I'm not predicting that he's going to become amazingly motivated. I don't even know what he did in Cleveland but I bet it's just flashes. I'm saying it's possible

I understand mental composition (through several family members and partners and because i create realistic characters for a living) enough to know that it's incorrect to see it as: we are going to unlock him or he can't be unlocked. Most managers can only motivate with a carrot/stick approach (money or job longevity) and once they run into a person that isn't receptive to that, they call them a failure or - ironically - lazy. This is a really amateur approach to things and totally ignores that people like KPJ have higher ceilings and lower salary costs, they become the engines of the systems they lead reducing pressure on everyone else. These types of people are treasures waiting to be unlocked and sometimes that doesn't happen.

He's still a coin flip for us. If we were coached by a Phil Jackson - a mediocre tactician but highly advanced psychological motivator - I would have high hopes. Those coaches are hard to find though and don't thrive in rebuilding situations. Silas is a players coach but not an advanced motivator by the looks of it.

People with KPJ's psychological issues tend to be system-geniuses. He can see flaws in systems faster than others, and that gives him more fulfillment than any amount of money or infamy/fame. A great motivator would come in and immediately find out if basketball is the kids passion and then draw up (with him) desirable outputs and create an appraisal system that doesn't compare teammates to each other.

I'm not a psychologist or anything like that dude, just a series of life incidents made me have to learn this stuff about people.

Well you would be very wrong. Those are not complex cases to Lucas because he has been close to those issues and understands them. I don't know if he has any experience with the psychology of someone who has it easy on the court and has been a highly touted prospect from a young age. This kid was drafted late because of his own actions. Most of Lucas' cases were much closer to him in age. Btw I'm not diminishing Lucas at all. He's been excellent at what you're describing and by all accounts a great person to have on the staff. I'm just wondering about fit that's all.

glynch and D-rock like this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

I could also see kpj moving to a sixth man role a la ginobili or Lou Williams. Those minutes and points still goto the final count and having the luxury of someone who can be a playmaker, instant offense would be special if he was willing to take that role.

Cunningham looks great, slow footed but skillled and poised with his shot. Could be tyreke evans, could be much more special. He’s got the tools that are worth the risk to find out

Bo6 and chadyang like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is your public service announcement reminding everyone that KPJ has been with the ROX for a grand total of 16 games. Right now he has to defer to touch heavy, mediocre vets, but when he is "the one" out there he performs above and beyond expectation. He's young and as his role becomes more clearly defined he will continue to flourish. Most of his issues are easily attributable to inexperience and immaturity. Im as happy as you could be with a young prospect and get a good chuckle from the "he aint it" and other premature evaluations going on.

RocketToVegas, cbass, PatBev and 4 others like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Fact is this kid should have a rigid team structure that does not cater to him. Pop does that well with the Spurs. If KPJ doesn't hustle back on D Silas needs to call a TO and bench him. He's isn't a franchise player, he is a project.

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Great post....never thought of it that way. He does seem like a player with the type of mentality that may not handle being yelled at very well. Some players embrace it and work harder, he may be the type to do just the opposite.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ur Mum

8. TimDuncanDonaut

In the soft NBA, it's tough to play defense without fouling. Sometimes I can't tell between what is lack of defensive effort vs players just adopting how the game is officiated.

On the court his progress looks fine to me. He's promising, and for the sake of the Rockets, hope he blooms. Honesty it's too soon to preside what he will be; bust, solid role player; or something more.

As far as motivation; being able to hoop + financial incentives; is good enough for most. Average career of NBA career is 4 years ish. Save the money. Even on a rookie contract 3-4 years of nba money is enough to retire young and live a modest life.

joshuaao and fattz like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

#Truth

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

The next time Silas does that, it will be the FIRST time.

11. vick

vick Member

The Rockets were 11 and 10. Now 14 and 39. Going 3 and 29 since the Tank started. Also has announced that Wall will no longer play in back to backs the rest of this season. Also is only one loss from having the worst record in the NBA along with Minnesota. No matter what anyone says, the NBA will give Rockets a top 4 pick.

sydmill likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This right here. KPJ excels with the ball in his hands much like Harden. The Rockets should use this time to evaluate him in this role, IMO. This may change over time, but to me this season to try it and find out what you have talent wise and if it's worth investing in moving forward. I do see frustration and lack of discipline in his playmaking at times but that's to be expected with a 20 yr old sharing PG duties.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could be worse.

KPJ could hang his head and slow jog back on defense like this guy did.

Nook and ico4498 like this.
  15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Porter needs to be consistent and care about playing defense, you can clearly see he sometimes do not care. BUT....looking at the other top 2nd year players in the NBA he is right there with them:

PORTER: 15 POINTS A GAME AND 6.2 ASSIST
    TYLER HERRO: 15.5 POINTS A GAME AND 5 REBOUNDS
    JA MORANT: 19 POINTS A GAME AND 7.3 ASSIST
    ZION WILLIAMSON 26.8 POINTS A GAME AND 7.2 REBOUNDS A GAME
    COBY WHITE: 14.6 POINTS A GAME AND 4.5 ASSIST
    DARIUS GARLAND: 16.9 POINTS A GAME AND 5.9 ASSIST
    RJ BARRETT: 17.6 POINTS A GAME AND 5.8 REBOUNDS

JA MORANT, DARIUS GARLAND AND ZION WILLIAMSON ARE NOW THE FRANCHISE PLAYER FOR THEIR TEAM AND THE OTHER GUYS ON THIS LIST ARE NOT...I DO NOT BELIEVE HE IS A FRANCHISE PLAYER...BUT A STAR AND THE ROBIN OR PIPPEN FOR A SUPERSTAR(CADE)

fattz, Bo6 and D-rock like this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Spoil the rod; spoil the child does not work for all.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Porter might very well be that Franchise player.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

He definitely did a few times the other night...

19. Rockets4Life13

He's 20 years old FFS.

Some of y'all never watch any other rookies or what? Nothing but rockets for the past years so y'all don't know that rookies typically don't contribute to winning all that much?

People around here assume to be able to tell that KPJ will be Lou Will at best at the age of 20 is laughable.

Btw, this is not just directed at you, it's more of a broad statement on this whole thread.

D-rock and BamBam like this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. I think the man has at least 4 years to get it right.
    He will do it here or elsewhere. . . I think a full summer of practice will help alot
    The Coaching staff has ALOT of work to do this summer with Porter and Wall
    Martin and Tate as well

We have a DECENT core to build on.

Rocket River

Rockets4Life13 likes this.