1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer involved shooting in Brooklyn Center

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Gabe0941, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

20yr old Daunte Wright dead following a traffic stop altercation.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve never heard of this town.
    Plus why don’t people do what the police tell them to do when they get pulled over? Isn’t there a trial where someone died for not cooperating ?

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Unless you lived in MN you probably wouldn't have any reason of hearing about Brooklyn Center.

I'm going to stress we don't know all the facts of this case. I'm not going to jump to a conclusion that this was a case of not following LEO orders because we don't know for sure what the orders were and how they were given. I'm not going to jump to a conclusion that this was a totally unjustified shooting either. At the moment there isn't that much info and more reason why Brooklyn Center PD and the MN BCA (state investigative agency) needs to get the information out there.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

This is why...

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There is far far more evidence about this situation than the shooting of Daunte Wright. This situation is pretty damn messed up as is.

mdrowe00 and Andre0087 like this.
  7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Hopefully they had body cams on. Not enough details at the moment.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Are they looting?

9. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

I was up last night watching the live feeds on youtube. Looting started later, after crowds dispersed from the police station.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

SMH this is not making any sense unless he pulled a gun or tried to run them over there is no need to have shot him.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He may have followed all of the police's orders. We don't know. We also know that simply following the police's orders doesn't guarantee they won't beat, taser, pepper spray, or kill you anyway.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm sincerely curious. Why do you believe resisting is a worthy death sentence?

malakas likes this.
  13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

By his logic, the capital police should've just started firing on the crowd on January 6th. Pretty sure those people weren't complying with instructions either.

With that said, we don't really know the full facts about this case so we should wait before making conclusions.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Why should we simply give up our rights because police have more power than us? I hate this damn mentality that we should always cooperate. I hate the power that we have given police officers because of this thinking. I hope some day we strip them of their damn immunity and they think twice about their asinine actions.

I once was stopped on my way to Mississippi in Louisana and an officer asked if he could search my car. I told him no. He then called his buddies and soon enough I had 5 squad cars, including a K9 unit, surrounding my car. The dog sniffed and they claimed he smelled something suspicious. At that point, they held me, they tore my car apart, only to not find anything (duh).

I was stopped by a cop car, because he claimed I did not turn on my blinker when switching lanes. Imagine, him and his buddies had an 18 wheeler pulled over, and I moved over for courtesy (even though I was already going slow), and he stopped me for not turning on my blinker. Out of this, I ended up getting searched for absolutely 0 reason. Maybe I deserved it because they thought I was on drugs for driving to Mississippi lol.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I thought they did.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

To me this is like that cars should always stop for pedestrians. That's the law but the laws of physics also state that a car has a lot more mass, travels at higher velocities than a person so when a car meets a pedestrian things don't end up well for the pedestrian.

Yes LEO should treat civilians always with courtesy and should not abuse their power and always give reasonable orders clearly stated. That said they do have guns and even if they are held to account legally that still doesn't end up well for the person shot.
    I was once stopped by Minneapolis PD and had my car searched and no reason was given. I didn't appreciate getting stopped and I was in my rights to refuse the search but I still complied without hesitation.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya one lady who was breaking through one of the last lines of defense behind a mob who trampled over multiple officers already with US legislators on the other side.

"Not complying" has various degrees. The mere act of "not complying" is not worthy of murder. It's the context behind it like if the "not complying" entails legitimate concern for the safety of others or "not compiling" merely means having an officer's ego challenged.

#17 fchowd0311, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

In the latest news Brooklyn Center PD is saying that this was a mistake. That the LEO intended to use a taser but instead drew her firearm. This is like the shooting of Oscar Grant in Oakland in 2009.
    https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/04/12/fatal-police-shooting-in-brooklyn-center-sparks-unrest
    Brooklyn Center chief: Cop meant to use stun gun on Wright, pulled the wrong weapon
    MPR News Staff
    Brooklyn Center, Minn.
    April 12, 2021 8:00 a.m.

Updated: 12:15 p.m.
    In a stunning and heartbreaking admission, the Brooklyn Center police chief on Monday said the officer who shot and killed a 20-year-old man after a traffic stop Sunday pulled the wrong weapon and ended up killing the man instead of stunning him with a Taser.

Chief Tim Gannon played a clip of the police camera footage during a morning press conference. In the clip, the officer can be heard shouting “Taser! Taser! Taser!” as she alerts fellow officers to what he said she believed to be her stun gun.

She drew her handgun instead of the Taser and fired.

Gannon said he believes the officer intended to use the Taser, not her handgun, and that the killing of 20-year-old Daunte Wright was an accident.

Daunte Wright, who was identified by family members, was stopped by police at around 2 p.m. as he was driving in a residential neighborhood. Brooklyn Center police said in an earlier statement that officers discovered “an outstanding warrant” and tried to take him into custody, when he got back into his car. An officer shot Wright, who managed to drive off but crashed into another vehicle several blocks away. He was declared dead at the scene.

Police are holding a news briefing now. An overnight curfew expired at 6 a.m., and school districts serving Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park said students will be in distance learning Monday.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Oops!

Accidents happen.

I guess.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Don't law enforcement wear their taser and pistol on different sides?