1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porter’s Effort Level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 10, 2021.

1. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Can’t expect a guy and a team who is clearly tanking to play all-out and lose. Pick one OP!

Denovo, fckbandwagons and hakeem94 like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The team is like one mid-level to max player and 2 good draft picks away from contention.
    All of this can be done this offseason.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I didn't realize we were still so far away.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Can anyone think of any player that “developed” effort? I feel like that’s something apparent from year 1, no?

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

contention for what?

ico4498 likes this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah, guys can mature, but when the effort issue is so glaring, and you have Porter’s history....I feel like that stacks the odds against some huge transformation.

Kevooooo likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Who did he fix?

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

At Rio grande valley vipers Kevin Porter Jr has a really high motor.

This tanking team I don't think has a Win games at any cost.

The huge loss is losing out on a Top 4 Pick.

Kevin Porter Jr wants to play with another Star Player from this Draft that is close in his Age. 19 year old Draftee. 20 year old Kevin Porter Jr.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kevin Porter Jr 20 years old
    KJ Martin Jr. 20 years old

Top 4 Draft Pick - 19 years old

Yes the Rockets need a Franchise Player

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Very good point....took Wood several years (and several cuts) but he finally figured it out.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We have to weigh the damage of a young player embracing a losing mentality versus a 52% chance of getting the pick.

GotGame15 likes this.
  12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Yeah. So says all the other bottom dwellers. I’m sure Minny fans have been saying that for years with the addition of KAT and Wiggins. Look at where they’re now: competing with us for the top 1 pick, yet again...

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Christian Wood is the only one I can think of.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has a long way to go to be a 2 way player and even further to lead.

DD

vator likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He’s 3 weeks from being 21

Deuce, Nook and ico4498 like this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

The defensive lapses are fair, but more so just instilling the mentality of coming in each and every night with the energy to leave it all on the floor. Even offensively, he has got the tools, the instincts, and intuition or feel. If his mentality is to compete each time and then from that build defensive prowess elsewhere. More realistic to add these things in phases or over seasons like Leonard or giannis, each year building on the last. This goes for lebron too he has become a much more lethal shooter post 30 and just shows the commitment paying off.

17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

He is putting up good numbers, but you don't see him on a good team. Harden was coming off the bench avg 10-16. But i think Porter probably could do the same, and he is only 20.

But you know i feel in 2-3 years he will be a allstar for sure. Just hope he works hard on his game and proves he is good.

18. fattz

fattz Member

If his personal goal is to get better then it will happen. It has to come from him and him alone. I see frustration when he plays and it comes across aloof. His play is very fluid so much so it looks like things are just sort of happening around him which is a lot like Harden. He is making everything happen then reacting to it with such ease. I think from what I have seen of him, if one was to get aggressive with him he would fight if necessary and then quickly leave. He seems to be a show him type. If one where to shout at him, he will just leave. It’s his age and the way kids are now; remember he is of a different generation so handles himself differently. He will avoid conflict vs confrontation then growth. It doesn’t seem like he cares but he does.

Imanimal likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm not too concerned with his effort level .... I'm more concerned with his differing to John Wall or whoever the other ball handler is than anything else. He disappears for stretches , particularly after a turnover / mistake.

I think it's more mental than "effort level".

This is the time he should be allowed to make those mistakes being that their record is inconsequential aside from Ping-Pong balls.

John Wall running the show isn't helping the kids development .....

BamBam, Imanimal and fattz like this.
  20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

We have reports that he is very smart and school came easy for him. So does much of basketball.

I see him putting more effort into defense as the season goes on. He is definitely talented on one on one defense. At times he makes brilliant defensive play with great effort. However, at times he gets lost if his man does not seem to be in the play.

Come on. He is playing for the first time as a point guard, the hardest position for a young player. He is a beginning rookie point guard

Everyone is so focused on and scared that his past troubles will prevent him from becoming an All Star which certainly seems as his ceiling that they can't think straight.

chadyang likes this.