1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Landry's Tooth

Not saying I would, but let's say they get #1 and a team like OKC throws a bunch of 1s at us to get Cade...

What if we could end up with Davion Mitchell (with OKC pick) and Jared Butler (trading up from our late 1sts) while picking up 2 extra 1st rounders and get a pick swap returned?

Mitchell and Butler might up the defensive intensity for Porter... the extra picks could make unloading Eric Gordon easier...

They could build around the 3 guard rotation of Porter / Mitchell / Butler...

Lord knows this team needs shooting and on ball defenders...

snowconeman22 and UTSA2step like this.
  2. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

I would consider trading down to 3rd or 4 pick, changing Wall for good players on smaller contracts

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

U kidding me? Quality over quantity

4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

For real. This is the NBA not NFL. The goal is to get two stars and surround them with the proper talent.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Terrible idea

TexasRedd, No Worries, B-Bob and 5 others like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

D.mitchell is about to be 23 years old. That's 4 years older than the top 3 prospects

DCHAMP, JD88, Denovo and 8 others like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Try to trade up if we end up with the three non lottery picks. Add KJ Martin to them if needed. Retain Tate.
    @ApacheWarrior @D-rock

burlesk likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Theres like a 48% chance we don’t even get a top pick so until i see those lottery balls bounce our way I don’t even want to assume we have a pick to trade down.

But yeah if you have your number one pick penciled in and you know the other teams aren’t taking that player in the top 5, sure you consider trading down. You just better be sure you are right and everyone else is wrong which is usually not reality in my experience.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

imagine going through a 20 game losing streak and 1 of the worst seasons in franchise history, ending up with the #1 overall pick, and then giving it away so u can end up with 6’2 Davion Mitchell who is turning 23 in September, 2 more lottery tickets, and getting back our swap in 2024

we have full control of our picks the following 2 seasons in 2022 and 2023 to take full advantage of, so if in 2024 we’re still in a position where we’re 1 of the worst in the league and desperately hoping to keep our top 4 protected pick then lol...but that’s probably the position we’d find ourselves in when we’re doing stuff like giving away a Cade Cunningham for Mitchell

burnshroom, burlesk, B-Bob and 16 others like this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No! That move right there is exactly how we get stuck in mediocrity for ever. Generational talent is not something you just trade or let walk out the door. If OKC wants Cade they are going to give us the next James Harden.

11. fattz

fattz Member

Yes quantity, if there was no possibility of the top picks busting then quality, success is not guaranteed. With the thought being, we are so broken needing so much help, looking for one or two that can really help out of many does make a lot of sense to me, in this heavy draft. Then trade the non fits quickly so the value is not that effected to try something different. Maybe a Olynyk type trade happens again. We can’t afford to miss out & something is better than nothing even if it is “house money”.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

It doesn’t make sense when you’re settling for a bunch of guys who clearly have less upside than the consensus top prospects.

we need high end talent with star potential, not just a bunch of young guys

I will take 75 cents or a dollar over 2 quarters or a bunch of dimes and nickels

xaos and tycoonchip like this.
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Kind of like Luka - Trey? If Cade is next Luka? No way. NO WAY! However, if a drop off from picks is insignificant then Shirley.

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

BTW, anyone know Anthony Bennett’s status?

B-Bob likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'd consider trading Cade if they give us SGA and all their FRPs including their own lotto pick this year.

At the end of the day the draft is a gamble you don't know if Cade is the next Lebron or the next Melo. If a team is gonna give you more value than a generational talent will bring in there's no reason not to do it IMO.

Remember when Cavs traded Wiggins to get KLove? Most people were saying its massive overpay but Cavs got a ring cuz of that move Minny never got anywhere.

I think its pretty obv the NBA has changed, you need more than 1 star on the squad you need multiple to go anywhere. Pells got an Allstar and Zion and they STILL suck.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Not really worth the mental exercise until we know what teams are picking where.

We are not locked into a top pick despite Fertits turning this team into one of the worst teams in the league.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

If we get the 4th pick and Cade, Mobley, and whoever else you have third is gone — is fourth a sure thing?

because I could see a scenario where we trade the pick to get rid of Wall and or take back some of those OKC draft picks/swaps.

I don’t watch enough college basketball to know how good these guys are and I’ve always felt the draft is a gamble even with high picks. High picks don’t always end up stars. More often than not they don’t pan out.

Problem is we’d have to either suck again the next year to get another high pick to develop or we’d have to hope we can lure a top FA, of which I don’t think there are many if any this offseason.

D-rock likes this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Only Tilman can do this. He is capable of causing endless nightmares.

BigShasta and Reeko like this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

Trying to hit a home run with no one on base when down by 3 is a loss even if the bat meets the ball

coachbadlee likes this.
  20. VoR

VoR Member

What if we just took Green and Brown and call it a win?