1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Porter’s Effort Level

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Concerned of Porter’s lack of heart to give an effort on defensive end of game. Twice this week he looks like he is half there mentally....making stupid incoherent passes and falling asleep on defense.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We win though at least

Joe Rocket and Nook like this.
  3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

.....Lucas needs to do some extra work with him to keep him clean and sober!!!

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To be fair, our team is comprised of various professional basketball players whose defensive fundamentals are sorely lacking.

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

KPJ ain’t all that. Neither is Wood. We need a Cade Cunningham in the worst way.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I've noticed when Porter gets a USG% above 25% he posts 20-something points in those games. When 25% USG or
    less, not so good.

Kinda conflicts with Wood as he normally gets 31% USG%. So may not be good for those suggesting more ball
    handlers through the draft.

And what of Cade or Suggs or Mobley? Can Porter coexist? Remember people Eric Gordon will come back as well next season.
    Not easily tradable. We may have another Harden in the form of Porter.

Boston84 and don grahamleone like this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

this is where Westbrook would’ve been a good influence on him. Oladipo, George, Beal all rave about Westbrook’s almost psychotic ability to play each game, possession in finals like intensity and that rubbing off on them each time they share the floor.
    Not a hit on wall, he’s been a pleasant surprise, has a chip on his shoulder in the right way, and looks like he’s just grateful and having fun being able to compete.

but that’s been the memo on porter jr, high level talent and inconsistent mentally. He’s done great for us thus far including a positive d league stint with no complaints. 2 more years of his contract and I’m optimistic he has already shown he can create plays in this league

8. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

There’s a reason he was available

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He's bored like the rest of us.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think some people's expectations from him are pretty unreasonable.

Dude was the 30th pick in the draft, 20 years old, and is on a supremely untalented roster thats losing a lot.

Considering all that, he has surpassed my expectations. People thinking he's the next James Harden probably hit their head on something

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

If KPJr can’t coexist with someone like Cade, then that’s on him. I don’t think KPJr is the level of prospect where u start passing on guys based on how he fits with them. I’m not passing on or 2nd guessing Cade Cunningham in Houston for example because we already have Porter.

I can see Suggs, but why do u think Porter couldn’t coexist with Mobley?

12. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

He's young. Hopefully he gets more consistent over time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Let me save you years of whining about something that will never change:

KPJ will be amazingly motivated when he's the clear lead guard and trusted with that responsibility.

He will be a replacement level player (or less) if he has to share that too much.

You don't like it because you want him to give effort no matter what. Not going to happen. Kid's brain works too fast, needs to be kept more engaged than others.

I know that's annoying to hear for people whose dad made a big deal about work ethic and modest talent, but there are different people.

The exception to that rule is if he's on a winning team with a point guard whom he either genuinely admires or heavily dislikes.

There are motivators who can get a KPJ to become a monster in the gym and on the floor. I hope we have that guy and once again I hope people are not expecting miracles from Lucas. Anything Lucas brings is a bonus, but KPJ is a way more complex case than any of Lucas' success stories.

14. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I had pointed this concern a month ago. Maybe this is tankathon strategy because our overall defense went from 10 to -10 in a matter of a couple of weeks. But compared to others, he simply looks like he just does not care much on defense and has a bit of a lazy attitude. Hopefully, this all changes if the Rockets can put together a solid team and given more responsibility to lead.

At this stage, Rockets end up sitting Wall at times, and then when he returns KPJ is made to switch his role completely. There is no clear direction where the Rockets want to go so I do not blame much to players when it comes to lack of effort.

15. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

20 year olds playing basketball on a tanking team. Let's type up more thoughts

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hard work with Lucas and veteran players can help him mentally and physically in the off season. He isn't going to be Harden. We forget how hard James works on his game when he is motivated.

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we have a few prospects, Porter is one; consistency is lacking, as is often the case with young guys. The anointment as the second coming was always premature; he’s immature. Time will tell if he’s Terrence Williams or a legit building block.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol cades not even better than andrew wiggins or jabari parker... these guys are leading you nowhere

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cant blame him... i wouldnt be motivated if jonny the ballhog is my teammate and the franchise

20. riko

riko Member

20 year old young man. Give him time.

PatBev likes this.