1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What are your reasons for not going vegan?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And their wives, beatable children, slaves and just about any non-Jewish and then non-Christian civilization.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Meat tastes great!

DD

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

She must come from the River Phoenix school of healthy living. I apologize. That was a a low blow and we miss you River. Too bad your healthy eating lifestyle included partaking in heroin.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can i sign up just by wearing a hat?

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

My reason is @jacoby

I was going to go vegan but then I see this guys threads and I say this dudes life is jacked up. If he just had some nice comfort food with varieties of meats, seafoods, and non vegan desserts his life would undoubtedly take a 180. So now I eat even more meat.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I wouldn't have a degree without bacon doubles at BK, thighs and dirty rice at Bulletproof Popeye's, chocolate-filleds at Shipley's, fried shrimp at Navy Seafood all on Scott Street right outside Cougar Place, or 11:00 pm Tropical Storm Allison gumbo runs at Frenchy's on Wheeler. That's not even counting the Aramark / Chartwell's platinum meal plan once they started putting Taco Bell, Pizza Hut minis and Wendy's on campus, and playing music videos on all the cafeteria monitors ("breakoooouuuut!!")

marks0223 likes this.
  7. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I like Tofu in my Pad Thai and other dishes. It probably wouldn't be that hard to get off meat and substitute Tofu. I've thought about it. I don't necessarily like cooking Tofu, though. And, you have to press it in advance to get the water out. I like it in dishes made at restaurants.

#168 Surfguy, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    RedRedemption likes this.
  9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Tofu is an amazing substitute for meat I agree. I would say roasted brussels sprouts and cauliflower as well.

Impossible/Beyond is there as a substitute in terms of texture and taste when used in other dishes imo, just not good by itself, and pricing is just a little too high.

Surfguy likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Tofu is great in limited doses but when you start using it a lot it gets really old fast.

Surfguy likes this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It all depends on how you prepare it, it's super mild-flavored, similar to rice or potatoes, you can always spice things up and play with the flavors/textures.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Are you stupid, son?

[​IMG]

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Because I’m trying to rid myself of this humanity

14. Buck Turgidson

Yep, and I'm with @Surfguy that it's always to me better at a restaurant than when someone has tried to cook it at home (I never have).

Indian dishes and miso soup are the extent of what I like. It just totally lacks the umami taste that I need, mushrooms can give you a bunch of that but still not a total replacement for meat, for me.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My wife has done some cool things with it (outside of the usual Asian dishes) from a cheese cake to spicy vinegar marinated slices for a salad, seasoned and seared for tacos, a faux egg/tuna sandwich mix and many other things with tempeh

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The texture of tofu gets to me after a while as well.

17. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I've purchased several Lion's Mane kits since we discussed mushrooms here on the forum a while back (figured, pandemic... why not). Had some earlier today in fact. It's fantastic raw, at least in small quantities, and very good sautéed with a little garlic. I couldn't stomach it every night anymore than I could lobster, but it's a nice treat on occasion.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

But unless you were gung-ho about it, why sub tofo? Every single thing you just said your wife makes, no offense and I'm quite sure it's delicious, will not be as good as it would be omnivorously.

Except for the marinated salad. That sound great.

19. Buck Turgidson

This is kind of my point: tofu is tofu, you know what you're getting as long as whoever is preparing it knows what they're doing.

Non-meat pretending to be meat is terrible (bacon, beef, chicken nuggets whatever). The texture is terrible and it just does not taste right, and to me I don't think it will anytime soon.

Non-meat that does not pretend to be meat but an alternative can be really good: black bean/veggie burgers, tofu dishes, mushroom dishes, fake egg and milk products, etc...

I eat a ton of vegetarian meals, if that's what I want then why even bother trying to put fake meat into it? Save the real meat for next time.

Everything in moderation.

FrontRunner likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Other than that, how did your growing kits work out?

Try some different ones, honestly there's the same variety in mushrooms as there is in red meat, or peppers, or tomatoes, etc...