1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Insider Aaron Wilson fired by Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Apr 9, 2021.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. Buck Turgidson

“In his case, you know, it’s kind of you don’t negotiate with terrorists. People are demanding money, they’re asking for money. It kept escalating, it kept going up and up and up. You’re talking about more and more funds, I’m not going to say how much it got to, but my understanding is, you know, that there was an admission that, it was, you know, something, you know just that this was, you know, just a money grab.”

He should be fired for saying "you know" 5 times in 20 seconds

DonnyMost, napalm06, Rashmon and 17 others like this.
  3. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Lol he didn't compare them to terrorists.

That said, I'm with the women.

napalm06 and Zen Tabak like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that sucks but he should have known better. I'm sure he'll land on his feet, he's a decent NFL guy.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I guess the Texans are behind this too? :rolleyes::eek: Easterby is the most powerful man in Houston, it seems....

TheFreak likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Aaron Wilson [​IMG] Deshaun Watson
    No longer having to work in Houston​

Both gonna land on their feet.
    There goes the Chron’s coverage. Probably the best reporter not national. (ESPN, NFLN, FOX, CBS)

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Meh. He copy/pasted emails he got. Great at transactions and cap numbers. Never does any actual reporting on team or insightful analysis. Don’t think he will be missed. Don’t think he should have been fired for those comments either but these days..

8. mightybosstone

I've been opposed the the kind of wording and claims made by Wilson since the accusations came out and definitely don't agree with the things he was quoted as saying in that article.

That being said, I've seen way worse on Clutchfans in the last month, and I don't think his opinion is that shocking. I think he deserved a suspension and a legitimate "come to Jesus" meeting from his superiors. But getting fired for this seems harsh.

I was never a huge fan of Wilson, but I think people in sports media should get a little more leeway than this, especially guys like him who are asked to analyze every aspect of a team and are constantly being asked for their opinions. The guy gave his honest opinion. He definitely should have worded it better, but public speaking was never his strength.

jiggyfly and raining threes like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Damn I loved him here. Who’s the best guy left reporting on the Texans?

10. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

Silly, that’s an easy answer :D

clos4life and juanm34 like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

The Editor's head should be on the block as well for both the terrorists reference and 5x "you knows". Good catch Buck.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Maybe he'll get to cover an actual decent NFL team.

13. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

So Wilson is gone but McClain sticks around. Who is McClain going to retweet now? Is Greensheet or La Subasta Houston's most reputable print media source now? So many questions, so little answers.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

That was from the radio interview that got him canned, not a print piece. Speaking of editors though:

[Chronicle sports editor Reid] Laymance was reiterating a message that had been delivered to the staff two hours earlier by the Chronicle’s executive editor, Steve Riley. An email from Riley was sent to the entire newsroom with the subject “Editor’s Note.” In the email, Riley wrote about newsroom ethics and proper behavior how they should be exercised with regards to the Watson case. “The sexual assault allegations against Deshaun Watson bring those standards front and center,” Riley wrote. “This note serves as a reminder that as we report, analyze and describe those allegations, those who bring them and the person they are brought against, we must approach the story with fairness and care toward all involved. Given the frequency of content we are creating, on a growing number of print and digital channels, our editors must also be more vigilant with our oversight of coverage on all platforms.”

The email went on to remind staffers that they always represent the Chronicle during any media appearances, and must do so with the permission of a supervisor.

“Facts are good. Analysis is OK. Opinion, speculation or baseless assertions are not. We won’t tolerate that sort of commentary,” Riley wrote

Shark44 likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think I need to actually hear what he said in context. I read it last night...just the excerpt of what he said...and I thought I read it as him saying it was his understanding that Watson's camp see it like terrorists....not that Wilson was proclaiming that as his opinion. It's possible I read it wrong, and admittedly I didn't actually hear it or see it in the context of the other person's comments or questions at all.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this is dumb, he wasn't comparing the women to terrorists

he was explaining Watson's defense strategy, not condoning it

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Men can't even breathe on women anymore without getting fired.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah this is stupid.

raining threes likes this.
  19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Simply not a culture fit

raining threes and J.R. like this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thank goodness we still have pancakes.