1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I don't like these games, and they do influence people.

I did not like it when Buzbee did it, and I do not like it when Hardin does it....... it is whining and I cannot stand lawyers that whine.

ROCKSS, jiggyfly and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, that’s fair too. I’m not really tryin to go back and forth either.

Just for the record though, saying the Texans had nothing to do with this story or being behind it is not defending them.
    That’s just being logical.

That being said, I understand why people would think it. Ineptitude creates doubt.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Have you listened to the different correspondents on 610? Amy Dash seems to think he’s trying to make it about NFL. And thought the Watson supporter comments about not working with him was pretty damning. Even if out of context.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I know the NFL has a bad reputation, but I don't know what the facts are about the industry, but lets say it is as bad as they say it is and so many players have either committed sexual misconduct or broken the law, as a juror I would not be able to believe the testimony of Watson, especially with so many women coming forth.

So not you know how both sides are going to play up the credibility angle.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. mightybosstone

All of that is fine, but it kinda goes out the window with the "hooker with a bad haircut" comment. Also, I didn't see someone who was being overly dramatic. You may have seen it as bad acting. I saw it as a woman doing a pretty brave and difficult thing who probably went through a very traumatic experience that's negatively impacted her life. I hardly think the occasional sniffle or use of a tissue is unwarranted if what she's claiming actually happened. She wasn't exactly balling or overdramatizing the events.

ROCKSS and Nook like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree and it's what turned me off from Buzzbee from the beginning but I guess this is how things are done now but I have to say it seems Hardin is taking the bait but I think he has to in a way.

Nook and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I have not. I'm an attorney so I'm just basing it off what I know personally. I don't know who Amy Dash is - not that she wouldn't be credible. But there's no chance the NFL has any liability here. This was an act done by Watson outside the scope of official league activities. You can add whoever you want as a "defendant" to a lawsuit, but that doesn't mean they will ever be held liable. Buzbee included the same verbiage with every lawsuit about NFL culture to make his facts seem more believable; he knows or should know he'll never get a penny from the NFL.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It makes sense he'd try to go after the team or the league, you go after whoever has the deepest pockets that you can go after. That said, I think he's just fishing, Watson's actions were his alone. I doubt he's able to drag anyone else into this

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, as a non attorney, listening to these “experts” tends to lead to an even bigger scenario. Maybe that’s their intent.

10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that she was being overdramatic, That fit the circus like MO of that press conference.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

She was also saying that if any of the criminal cases were picked up, the women that weren’t could be used as pattern witnesses in a criminal trial. Same as Cosby trial. Is that correct?

12. Nook

Nook Member

I called it as soon as the first pleading was dropped. I have drafted pleadings for nearly 20 years. He purposely has interjected the NFL and the Texans into the complaint with the hope that he can tie the NFL and the Texans into the suit. Does he know for certain that he will be able? No, but he is going to try to.

Buzbee may be worth nearly a billion dollars..... but at the end of the day, all civil trial lawyers are the same..... they are nothing more than pigs rooting through the mud and garbage looking for a sliver of food. He will look and try to tie the Texans in.... and don't be surprised if he is able to get other players involved. Players discuss these types of things.

[​IMG]

ROCKSS and Bobbythegreat like this.
  13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

To be honest, I work on civil issues so I don't want to give commentary on criminal cases as I'd just be guessing - and might look stupid if I was wrong! I wouldn't worry about the criminal side until the DA gets a referral and has to make a decision. If the HPD comes out and says they didn't find enough evidence to make a referral, I'm sure the public reaction will swing back to Watson's favor. I try to ignore the circus and just focus on what's been pled.

@Nook But you know the NFL had literally nothing to do with these allegations. They would pour Buzbee out on a SJ if he tried to hold them liable. Maybe you can make a case for the Texans if they supplied some of the massage tables, but I think that would be a tough hill to climb. Buzbee has these plaintiffs on contingency fees so I'm sure he's eating up the media exposure as his payment for now.

FWIW, I think Watson was smart not to settle the first demand from Buzbee. Buzbee has several cards and wanted to settle one -- then he would've demanded the same settlement for each card and kept playing them one after another. To truly settle this matter, Watson needs all the cases on the table to work with so nothing else pops up after he finally settles.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Buzbee (right or wrong) has successfully turned most of the city of Houston against Deshaun Watson. And by "against", I mean most of the city believes he's guilty of being a creep. Which in turn will make it very difficult for a jury of Houstonians to find him innocent. Which could be a very legit way to scare into a settlement.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Jiggy.... they all are assholes when it comes to this sort of thing and at this level....... they will do literally anything that they can get away with to win and it isn't for their respective clients, it is for their bank accounts and more so their egos.

Pistol Pete, jiggyfly and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but had he settled the cases out of court for 100k each, that's only 2.2 mil...and he'd keep his reputation and endorsements intact.

Unless he thought back on how many massage therapists he's mistreated and the number is significantly higher than those who have come forward thus far, he should have settled.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Just to be clear, I am not saying that Buzbee will be successful tying it to the NFL or the Texans and I am sure he is well aware that he may not be able to, but his pleadings and some of his comments make it clear to me that he will look to do so during discovery. Is it a fishing expedition? Probably, but he is going to try.

He hasn't brought the NFL or Texans in as a party yet, and he may never do it. However I guarantee you he is going to look for a way to tie them in. I agree with you that right now if he were to bring the NFL in and/or the Texans he would not be successful. Right now he also is potentially getting a benefit from the NFL. If the NFL suspends Watson that is a big feather in his hat when it comes to public perception.

FWIW I don't think that Buzbee ever intended to settle all of these claims. He could settle a few, and as you know non disclosures are not as iron clad on the issue of sexual assault as they were before, and then take the others public and use the few settlements to leverage his case.

This really isn't ultimately about money to Buzbee. He is worth nearly $800,000,000. This is about the attention and fame he is getting and an effort to further establish himself in the Houston area and beyond. This is all ego.

cmoak1982 and jiggyfly like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope.

Being a creep does not make you civilly liable.

There are a lot of people who also love Watson and will ignore a lot of stuff.

It is not a legit way to scare into a settlement because he has already made most of the accusations public.

What poll are you using to say most of the city is against him?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are you whining about lawyers that whine? :)

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ouch!

Low Blow.