1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Off Season: Free Agents \ Buyouts\ etc.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I just looked at the 2021 free agent bigs and outside of lauri and Collins there isn’t really any young bigs that fit with wood, and we arent getting them

so we have to hope Kelly is willing to play for a rebuilding team because I’m sick of having a small forward type at power forward

Hopefully with Cade in the starting lineup with wall/kpj/wood and a bench of augustin/Gordon/tate/kmj/rookie center

is enough to make Kelly want to stay...god the basketball gods owe houston a number one pick for football and basketball

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No, please don't compare him to Willie, lol.

All the boys you mention are more of projects though. I could say the same about Jalen Suggs; why draft Suggs when there are about fifty guards
    in this draft. Draft a DaVion Mitchell, Sasser, Butler, Nix, Mann, Sharife Cooper, McBride, Giddey, etc.

Rockets will have trouble finding minutes for Kristopher with Wall, Porter, Eric Gordon plus Augustin.

Yes there is contingency plans in the event the Rockets get Cade or J Green or Mobley or Kuminga. Bassey is more developed and
    underrated.....should be middle of the pack first round. I think you are exactly right about muscle, to me Nerlens Noel played his best
    season while complimenting Steven Adams. Skinny bigs need a bigger big to save them many a nights.

Don't be surprised if the Rockets draft Euro-stash players with their first round picks because first rounders
    are slotted guarantee money.......the ramifications that come with being drafted in the first round. Even late
    first round.

#142 ApacheWarrior, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    fckbandwagons and saleem like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have been following Bassey more carefully. The Rockets should grab him with the 22nd. Wood needs help in a bad way. Bassey can rebound, block shots, get physical and give some basic offensive scoring. It was you, dear Apache who encouraged me to assess him.
    No good Stash players imo. Giddy is too slow, and the Turkish boy is too raw. TF is all about saving money. We need Bassey with Cade. A lot of luck is needed for that.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That's probably my fault my friend. Initially I described him as more of an Eddie Curry cross Elton Brand. Let's adjust that to mostly a quicker more
    mobile Elton Brand. So that's PF stuff of years back in a modern era where PF's are being used as centers, but can still defend many of the
    stronger centers as well. I love the way he runs the length of the court and a motor that never gives up on a play.

As far as Tilman, we all know Morey would back out of the late first round because first rounders get certain privileges that second rounders
    do not. Since we were operating in a Harden gets big bucks window; first rounders occupy a roster spot while getting some protections.
    It was easier to get Euro-stash players that don't go against your team payroll or back out of the first to get an early second rounder. Spurs
    have been accumulating Euro Stash players for years. Many teams do this.

Why would Houston do this now with picks 22 and say, 24? Because now we are dealing with Porter/Wood era or window. Rockets need to
    build quick talent around them ready to play at a high level in 22/23. Some of the late first rounders just won't cut it. Whether it's poor FT's
    of a big or no ability to shoot 3's.

Maybe a swap of one of those first's and second rounder helps us move up enough to get near 16 or 18 to get Bassey. Use the other first for
    Euro-stash. We all know Tilman.

My best guess we have to spend $15M on retaining Olynyk. Avery Bradley (team opt) and DJ Wilson (qualifying offer) possible traded in off-season
    to avoid cap holds; could bring team salary down to about $88M. Add Olynyk say roughly $15M and we stand near $103M. We could actually
    have kept DJ Wilson or add another backup Center.

Starters are projected as (without assuming top 4 selection stays ours):
    PG) Wall
    SG) Kevin Porter
    SF) Tate
    PF) Wood
    C) Olynyk

Reserves
    Now Alize Johnson would be a good pick up at Power Forward.
    Eric Gordon is still good for 18 points a game (depending on minutes)
    House (who knows?). Guy should be averaging 17 points per game in Silas system. Just not getting it.
    KM jr is he a 3 or a 4? Regardless, work on your shooting young man.
    Armoni Brooks : let's see what you got
    DJ Wilson: can you not be such a spaz?
    Augustin: good enough for backup. I've wanted him with the Rockets for years, just not with his current contract.

So it just a matter of, "if we can draft one of" Cade/Jalen Green/Mobley/Kuminga to add to the mix. I'm against drafting Mobley as PF/C; but I
    can play him as a 7'0" small forward. I would have drafted Derrick Alston to be my eventual 6'9" future small forward, why not Mobley.

Still enough money for a flier on a free agent on a one year contract perhaps as Bassey adjusts to NBA year one.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A lot of what you say makes good sense. TF calls all the shots.

6. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Eric Gordon & DJ. Augustin will be traded as soon as early. Any rookie will play games in GLeague at first

7. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I think the team should sign Bobby Pertis for MLE, his offence is good, his 3p shooting is good, and his rebound is very good

8. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agreed I certainly hope that Stone/TF/PF whoever is ultimately calling the shots isnt doing so with Wall/Gordon/Augustin in mind as anything more than placeholders whose value is as much in their ability to show the NBA ropes as it is to actually log minutes in games. I am hoping for 1 (or 2) perimeter players from this draft who spend most of next year in Rio Grande similar to KPJ. I like both guys from ASU (Christopher and Bagley).

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think you and I possibly overrate Bassey (both thinking he should be a first round target of Houston). Many mocks have him as a second rounder. Not sure its the same as comparing Suggs and the guys you mentioned. I think many would say that Bassey is in the same tier as the guys named, each of whom is unlikely to be a first round pick.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No I agree. With exception to Cade/Jalen Green/Mobley/ Kuminga.

Now Bassey is rated by most draft boards as the 3 best center behind Mobley and Alperen Segun and since I don't view
    Mobley as an NBA center, I have Bassey 2nd. Because other teams have centers and don't have a need......I don't draft
    according to other teams needs. I don't see the Rockets with one center because I see Wood as PF, thus a severe need.

If anyone views Silas system and players he had with Mavericks, know when viewing videos of Bassey he fits the system superbly.

Bogan, Dwight Powell, Porzingis, Kleiber, WCS....Bassey is a mix of all with exception to Porzingis good outside
    shooting.

@sydmill , I respect your opinion, but we will agree that we disagree. Take Care.

Edited: forgot about Olynyk. So we have one center. Can we retain him in free agency?

#150 ApacheWarrior, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    fckbandwagons, sydmill and BamBam like this.
  11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Wall is killing us eating the budget.

saleem likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I had a long day at work yesterday but would like to revisit a conversation with you if I may. You are very knowledgeable about basketball
    and I enjoy discussions with people with high basketball I.Q's.

So I have a question for you, no wrong answer. Just your valued opinion. I'm going to put down stats in per game and then thru 40-mins of
    player one and player two, then ask my question.

................FG%.....3PM....3PA...3P%.....FT%.....TRB...Ast....stl....Blk......pts....PER........
    Player 1
    ...57.8%.....0.4......1.2....30.0%...69.4%....8.7....2.4....0.8....2.9.....16.4....29.1........
    Player 2...59.0%.....0.6......2.1....30.5%...75.9%...11.6...0.7....0.4....3.1.....17.6....32.6....(player 2 outshines player 1 with exception to ast & stls)

per 40-mins
    ..................FGM....FGA....3PM.....3PA....FTM....FTA.....TRB..... Ast.....stl.....Blk.....pts....................ORtg.......DRtg.......
    Player 1.......6.6......12.2.....0.4........1.4......4.8......6.9.......10.2......2.8......0.9....3.4.....19.3....…..............123.2.......90.9.........
    Player 2.......9.1......15.5.....0.8........2.8......4.1......5.5.......15.3......0.9......0.5....4.1.....23.2.....................121.1.......90.5........

per sports-reference college basketball

Which player stats do you like better? One is Charles Bassey........the other is slotted to go in the top 4 of the NBA draft this off-season.

Here is my real question to you my friend, and I know you like Bassey as well, would you move up from pick 22 plus give up a second rounder
    (future 2nd rounder or two because they are future picks and we have no 2nd this year) to move up to pick 18? Again, no wrong answer.
    Just would like your opinion.

I would to assure a player who I think should be going as early as 14th.

Hint: player 2 is Bassey.......EM is the other

#152 ApacheWarrior, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    fckbandwagons likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It depends on who we get in the draft. I think in order to get Olly he will want to be locked in as a starter on a rebuilding team, but not as a bench player. He can be a bench player for a contending team. Of course, all of this depends on the money and whether someone will overpay for him, but money being equal he will only stay if he is starting.

Jwise44 likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't even close. Johnson is certainly the better player. There were a number of teams interested in him though.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Bassey is a good prospect but he isn't near the prospect that Mobley is.

Bassey is more of a high effort energy guy that has a very limited game on offense and plays out of control at time. Most of his buckets are from hustling. He can block shots and is a solid rebounder. However he isn't even average on switches and doesn't guard on the perimeter, letting him man have open jump shots. Bassey has also had 3 years in college and Mobley has only had one.

Mobley is longer, far faster and quicker and had very better ball skills. Mobley is freakishly athletic. Also, he has already put on weight since the season started and hasn't seemed to have lost any athleticism. He is never going to be as thick as Bassey but he doesn't really have to be in the modern NBA. Mobley has the athleticism and skill level to be more than a really solid role player, he could be a franchise type player. He also is very good from a fundamentals perspective.

Cockburn has a role in the NBA, and is a good foil against someone like Mobley if the Rockets go that direction. Cockburn is very strong and big, and sets strong screens and can finish inside well. He is a bench role player in the switch everything NBA and 5 out offenses that are becoming the norm.

I am sure the Rockets will also look hard at some of the lesser known center prospects like Alperen Sengun, Filip Petrusev, Isaiah Jackson and Makur Maker.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I respectfully disagree. Not completely in your assessment of Bassey, but that's exactly what the Rockets need and at around pick number 16 thru 20.

I'm at work and can't go into details on a thorough reply right now on the rest of your comment at the moment.

Cockburn and Queta are too mechanical and don't shoot 3's. Cockburn is a 55% FT% shooter, you will taking us back to the hack-a-Sgaq days with D12.

Key is 3-pt shooting ability is Bassey is equal to Mobley in. That helps space the court and is one reason the Rockets moved on from Capela. Notice the bigs that the Rockets are bringing in shoot 3's. Spalding, Patton and now Olynyk. Think Silas system.....I keep repeating this but it falls on deaf ears.

#156 ApacheWarrior, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    D-rock, Nook and fckbandwagons like this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We should pick him up. Tweener forward but can shoot

D-rock likes this.
  18. sydmill

sydmill Member

@ApacheWarrior :Yes, I would trade a future second to move up from 22 to 18 (I wouldnt however use #26 to make the move) and select Bassey. I agree with Nook that Mobley is the better player compared with Bassey. Age and level of competition both favor Mobley. That is no disrespect to Bassey, I really really like him and think he can be a better Clint Capela type player in pretty short order. Again, love the idea of Hakeem getting Bassey in the gym as his final protege.

ApacheWarrior and baller4life315 like this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sorry, but them gods do owe the Rox some major love; the gods luvin TheToroTerrors must be from some very low low low place.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That you for your service to Clutchfans.

@Nook I didn't mean to be short with you earlier. Apologies.

I posted on an earlier post today the side by side comparisons of Mobley and Bassey. Both are like identical from 3-pt land.
    So I disagree on the Bassey only gets baskets from FT's, Put backs, or hustle plays.

Mobley: 0.4 3PM........1.2 3PA..........30.0% (3P%)
    Bassey: 0.6 3PM,........2.1 3PA.........30.5% (3P%)

So for anyone to suggest Bassey is poor from outside is also criticizing the chosen one (Mobley) for being poor from outside as well.

Patton is 2.6 3PA.....@ 27% (3P%) with Rockets
    Ray Spalding 3.0 3PA....@17% (3P%) with Vipers RGV
    Olynyk probably still around 40% from 3 while a Rocket.

So I believe this is the pattern or desire. Bassey gives us that plus the intangibles such as hustle plays. With the best players making half their
    shots,creams need a hustle player to clean up their mistakes and have that same person cut down on the other teams second chance shots.

Alperen Segun is probably going somewhere around 10 so I'm not suggesting moving up that far and paint that cost.....I'm suggesting moving
    up about 4 spots because teams selecting in the 20's don't mind using that pick on an up and coming backup Center. They will leap frog the
    Rockets to select Bassey before us knowing Mobley and Segun are off the board. Just my two cents worth.

sydmill and Nook like this.