1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Olynyk's Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 27, 2021.

1. mightybosstone

The Wilsons aren't averaging 19/5/3/1/1 on absurd efficiency with elite advanced stats. If you can get that level of production for $10 million a year and you feel like the guy is a solid veteran presence on the roster, that seems like a fairly reasonable contract, doesn't it?

And I don't know if Olynyk is a positive veteran presence any more than you do. But I know the team has looked better, the offense has played better and he's been insanely productive in a small sample size. If Silas and Stone don't think he's good for the young guys' development or feel like that money would be better spent elsewhere, that's fine. I can only speak to what I see on the floor and what the numbers show, and he's dramatically outproduced my expectations for him in his short time here.

joshuaao, burlesk, IvanLCPM and 2 others like this.
  2. mightybosstone

I feel like you're really overplaying this whole "one win" thing. You know this isn't a good basketball team and Kelly Olynyk isn't a superstar player, right? Unless he came in and started dropping James Harden numbers with this roster, they weren't going to suddenly go on a winning streak. And given where this team is at, I don't think anyone really wants them to start winning a bunch of games.

If we base the future of every player on this roster on how many wins that player helps us produce the rest of this season, they should just scrap the entire roster and rebuild it from scratch. The Rockets are not going to win many basketball games this season.

joshuaao, CXbby, BamBam and 3 others like this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Meanwhile...back in Miami...Oladipo is:
    2-8 3 rebounds 5 assists 6 pts
    3-13 1 rebound 5 assists 8 pts

Hui, joshuaao, burlesk and 12 others like this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

That's max contract worthy right there!

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

6-14 tonight in a loss. He's literally worse than Olynik by a lot

Hui, chadyang, burlesk and 5 others like this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I always thought of Olynyk as an ugly dirty player, but now I see him as a beautiful clean player!

[​IMG]

#KeepTankAlive
    Go Rockets!!!

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not overplaying anything, we are building it from scratch which is why we don't need a player like Olynyk.

Everything you are saying is a reason to not sign him and use that money on younger guys with upside or by taking in contracts for draft picks.

Exactly my point we are not good so why would you sign Olynyk to that type of contract and we will still not be good.

W22_STREAK likes this.
  8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I really like Olynyk on the squad. He brings some of everything that is needed. If we can sign him to a decent deal this offseason I hope they do it. Nobody is worried about winning games this year, but they will want to start seeing some winning next year and he can help with that. Im sure there will also be other moves made to improve the roster in addition to (hopefully) a top 4 draft pick. Lock him in if you can, he plays winning basketball and fits the system very well.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would you want to win maybe 10 games next year on the back of Olynyk

How is that helping to build a contender?

Does he really play winning basketball?

What are you basing that on?

10. Russjr2

Whos to say we will be on his back? He can't be part of the team they put together next year? With draft picks and other moves that can and will be made, this team will look different next year and I think having a player like him can help. Everyone on the roster cant be a rookie or g-league player.
    I know this season has been absolutely terrible, but in the end it could help us get that top pick we need to rebuild the team. And while we are at it, if we come across other players that help, and we can get on good team friendly deals why not keep them around? Do you want us to be this bad for several years?

And yes I think he does play winning basketball. He shoots well, he rebounds, he passes, he makes good plays and he looks to be a good team guy out there. You need players like that on your team.

Richie_Rich, Corrosion and burlesk like this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We don't need Olynyk on a bad contract. If the Rockets are able to negotiate a favorable contract with Olynyk, or anyone else, they would be foolish not to. We are in asset collecting mode. If we can resign Olynyk on a deal that other teams would find desirable and can flip him for more assets later, we should absolutely do that. I'd remind you that Javale McGee commanded two second round picks. Guys like this do have some value at the right price.

I agree he probably isn't part of our long term plans, though, and definitely isn't someone I'd want to overpay to stay here. And, honestly, why would he stay if he isn't over-paid?

joshuaao and palmsnbananas like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes this team can look different but who only wants different?

This can can go from suck to meh, is that worth it to you?

We can get an Olynyk that is younger and cheaper, what do you think he is worth to this team as a salary?

How about his defense is that winning?

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with you but we got some people saying he is worth 10+ million.

I agree about why would he stay but I also think he likes having a green light and being integral to the offense and I think it will have diminishing returns.

Williamson likes this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

C: Olynek
    PF:Love(trade wood +wall)
    SF: Holmgren(2022 #1)
    SG: Corey Kispert (trade down 2021)
    PG: Rubio(trade gordon)

Fire Silas, hire Jeff Van Gundy

I really don't think you'll find a harder working and more intelligent team.

DD

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OLYNYK HATERS GO HOME

Corrosion, RasaqBoi and bloodwings19 like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You must be going senile. I used to think you were fairly knowledgeable basketball fan and even liked you podcasts. This is an insanely bad post.

Caesar likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you missed the satire :D

palmsnbananas likes this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This post is probably a joke but it's can be misconstrued as racism..

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Oh he's definitely as smooth as butter... but yet he's not... "I can't believe he's not butter"...[​IMG]

#199 tycoonchip, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Caesar and BamBam like this.
  20. Russjr2

Well different will mean different results. Who knows if it will be suck or meh, or hey they are playing well together and look good, while still being young and having flexibility so we can start building up on that. There are so many ways it can go from here. Nothing is guaranteed.

Well if there is a younger and cheaper Olynyk and they have scouted him and bring him in then so be it, i'm not stuck on him, I just think he is a good fit and a backup 5 in this system. I don't want us to overpay for anyone at this point in the rebuild as we are not contenders, so I guess we will see what the market sets his value at.

He doesnt have to be a defensive stopper as a backup on this team. He has some blocks and rebounds decently so that is good enough for me in a backup. The other things he does add value.

joshuaao likes this.