1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nah, when it comes to athletes, this country loves to forgive and forget. My guess is that he will get “help” for his problem, do some charity work or something, pay some fines, and be back on the field for someone pretty fast. That’s just how it works. He’s too young and valuable to be finished.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't know dude. Maybe if it was 2010. But today? It's difficult to see Watson overcoming this. Especially if he gets criminally charged and convicted.

Mike Vick had to remodel his image for years for dog fighting which is bad but our society views sexual assault far worse and the scale at which Watson did it is pathological. If it was a couple of incidents, maybe society and the league could forgive him after a season of suspension but this amount l? I don't think he ever comes back from this. I think he already played his last snap in the NFL.

UTSA2step and raining threes like this.
  3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I agree with you. When this mess started there were 3 basic scenarios. 1) Play all of 2021 2) be suspended for part or of or all of 2021 and come back in 22 or 3) never play again.

In the beginning I would have assumed scenario 2 but now everyday the case for scenario 3 grows.

Maybe he goes on a multi-year hiatus via jail time, suspension, rehabilitation, etc and attempts a comeback but I’m not sure who would want to give him that chance.

raining threes and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I agree in that I don't think his career will be over.....it'll be put on hold for damn sure but Watson will make his way back. I mean, sure it was a different era, but Michael Vick came back from serving actual jail time and played damn well for the Eagles. This is the NFL so anything can happen, especially when it's dealing with a player playing a premium position.

UTSA2step likes this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d like to believe that, but the cynic in me sees a guy who is worth a ton of money to the league, and I just think he’s too valuable to too many people to be done at 25. The rules are different for people like that. We’ll see.

6. steddinotayto

If this was the NBA sure but the NFL gives out second, third, fourth, etc. opportunities all the time. If Watson gets cut is he going to be immediately signed by another team? Heck no but one or two years down the road anything is possible. If Watson serves jail time and gets released in 2-3 years time there's no doubt in my mind an NFL team will take a flyer on him.

raining threes and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. raining threes

Watson's mother went to Janice McNair and told Janice that Hopkins was leading Watson astray. They were chasing hoes together. Looking back on this maybe in a weird way Hopkins was keeping Watson in line by only chasing hoes with Watson rather than some of the things these cases have suggested happened.

BTW, Hopkins used to be so vocal about everything Texans/Watson, wonder why he's gone radio silence?

8. raining threes

Yes, Texans fans are going to be punished.

This is what happens when an org not only drafts trash, they give that trash 156 mil.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Link? I don't follow the Texans as much so genuinely curious.

10. raining threes

Just goes to show that we dont know much about these athletes.

Although the Hopkins trade should've been a clue to the fans that something wasn't right. Some fans bought into the image Watson was putting out there. A few wise fans did not.

11. Major

Major Member

Who needs sources when people can just make things up instead?

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. raining threes

You're probably right, but it's sad to think a person can allegedly sexually assault up to atleast 50 women and still play in the NFL.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. raining threes

There's no link.

But I got this info from a friend who's friends with one of the minority owners.

JumpMan and Houstunna like this.
  14. raining threes

15. raining threes

Believe this or not.

I dont really care. The info is correct and that's all that really matters to me.

16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I actually heard this as well through someone that works directly for Janice McNair. Take it FWIW, but it's a reliable friend of mine.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even if there were no sexual allegations, the Texans were going to get blame/criticism simply due to them being forced to trade a 25 year old franchise QB in his prime.... due to either bad management, lying owners, creating a culture of distrust, failing to build a proper team around him, etc. Nobody was considering the Texans to be the "victim" in the Deshaun demanding a trade narrative. Even a huge draft pick return would not diminish that criticism as you cannot put a draft pick value on a 25 year old franchise QB in his prime with MVP-like performance/trajectory... its unprecedented for such a player to get traded.

The only possible way the Texans would have saved face is if said draft picks panned out and contributed to a Super Bowl... but that would take at least 3-6 years.

Post allegations, Watson's image has certainly taken a hit. Sponsors starting to distance themselves. It no longer is universally thought of that Watson can do no wrong and the Texans are idiots, although the latter is still likely true. They won't be second guessed as much for getting rid of him now... nor will they be criticized as much for hanging on to an asset that is at its lowest value.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Unless they can prove rape, I doubt anything criminal comes of this. His image is forever tainted but even if he settles all of these cases he’ll get another chance at football. As bad as this is, he’s too young and too good. I’d put the percentage of him playing again at 99% as it currently stands. If a video or audio emerges watch out though.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

That's the NFL for you but here's hoping that Goodell and the NFL has grown up a bit and set an example out of Watson if these allegations do end up being factual/true.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

“It’s old news that we attempted to settle this case with Watson’s team before filing the first case. We attempted to avoid this circus that Watson’s team has created. The fact that we tried to settle before the first suit came out when we filed the first case. That’s the only defense that the Watson team has. It’s a weak defense. Now there are 22 cases. Perhaps Watson’s team should have listened to me”. — Buzbee

https://www.outkick.com/rusty-hardin-says-watsons-accuser-wanted-100k-tony-buzbee-says-it-old-news/