1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

*You're. If you're going to call someone dumb, use good grammar.

Dumbass.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Amazing how fast things change. One year you are a hammy away from the nba finals and Morton is closing out the Dodgers for our first WS. Now the rox are not relevant and the Astros are eroding. I guess you could not pay them all. Just not possible. Having that 33m JV albatross around our neck isn’t helping.

I think the Astros will miss Springer more than numbers will say. He was the personality of the team. The heart. Who will be able to step into that role. Correa is now essentially a rental as I doubt he makes it to the end of the year unless we have a good shot at the WS.

I just wonder where professional sports will be in 10 years. These rediculous contracts and superstar forcing trade mentality will come home to roost. Who wants to buy tickets to games when your team is inferior like the rox. Will the Astros be there in the not too distant future?

Lunhow/Hinch gave me hope that when this window started to close that another one would open pretty quick. Click/Baker. I get zero inspiration from that pair.

3. Major

Major Member

I don't know that it was really "fast" - 2022 (when they likely lose Correa) will be 5 years removed from the World Series. That's longer than any NBA is even allowed to be, and longer than most NFL contracts.

There have always been terrible sports teams - by definition, about half the teams are going to be losing teams. And players forcing trades is nothing new either. Steve Francis, Eli Manning, A-Rod, and John Elway did that stuff decades ago. None of this is new - people will keep buying tickets and watching on TV.

Besides which, not a single star has tried to force a trade from the Astros - they just leave via free agency to teams that pay them more. Something that also has been going on since the existence of free agency.

ramotadab, KePoW and Patience like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Sports teams are cyclical, the only thing not cyclical about sports is people's desire to spend money on them.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Red Foreman would also remind him that the Yankees have been to 2 WS and won 1 in the past 20 years. Stros are 1 for 3.

6. Major

Major Member

[​IMG]

7. Elienator

Elienator Member

This is exactly right. If Correa thinks he has put his back problems behind him and isn’t willing to accept a lower value but guaranteed contract now, then it’s in both the Astros interest and Correa’s interest to see how this season plays out.

I don’t see a 3 year higher AAV contract making sense for either side if Correa wants a long term contract to take him through his prime. Unless the market drastically changes (luxury tax increase significantly or all the other free agent SS sign ahead of next season) then I don’t see Correa getting the same money as Lindor unless he both stays healthy all season AND outperforms Lindor.

ramotadab likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Astros eroding? 1 win away from the world series last year. Projected to have the 2nd most wins in the AL this season.

9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

call it a moment of irrationality. But I sure liked a rotation of JV, Cole, and greinke over what we have now.

ramotadab likes this.
  10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

No ****. We all did lol. But not eroding.

ROCKSS, arabrocket, ramotadab and 3 others like this.
  11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

At least wait until we play a bad game before being Debbie downer

arabrocket likes this.
  12. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah that was a weird take to put it nicely

TWS1986, rockbox and bobrek like this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Haha, yeah, they are absolutely missing Springer’s “personality.”

They look fantastic.

TWS1986 likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

They may have smiled more in the dugout and on the field in 4 games than they did all last regular season.

phasors28, ROCKSS, rockbox and 5 others like this.
  15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Altuve - 2025
    Bregman - 2026
    Tucker - 2026
    Alvarez - 2026
    LMJ - 2027
    Javier - 2026
    Valdez - 2026
    Urquidy - 2026

If our pitching staff keeps developing and doing well, we have a really good core to build around for the next 4-5 years. We really need to draft well and develop our prospects. Really need Pena, Leon, and Lee to pan out and become at least regulars by 2023.

Would be nice to develop at leas one more pitching prospect now that Whitley is sort of old news. Hunter Brown could be a potential closer if he doesn't develop into a starter, I'm hoping Solomon or Ivey can be that next guy

TWS1986 likes this.
  16. the shark

the shark Member

Bregman & Altuve are signed through 2024 NOT 2026 & 2025.

17. the shark

the shark Member

Also Tucker, Alvarez, Urquidy, Javier & Valdez are FA after the 2025 season.

18. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

All MLB contracts are guarateed.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It could unofficially be guaranteed with a bonus dependant upon how many games he is available.

20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

See I do this reverse psychology thing. If I say something usually the opposite comes true. Hell I have bankrupt companies buy purchasing a few shares of their stock.

But I am liking this start to the season. And Greinke, what did he drink?