1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Victor Oladipo trade a big disappointment in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 26, 2021.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

When was the last time we actually used a TPE? The only time teams use that is when they’re goin over the cap.. we have a big TPE already from
    the harden trade....

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Oladipo is a trojan horse we sent to Miami.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

They’ve already used TPEs this year...thrice!
    —Used the Nene TPE on Kurucs
    —Used the Green TPE on KPJ
    —Used the Harden TPE on Bradley

The Oladipo TPE ($8.2M) is now the Rockets’ largest TPE. The Harden TPE is now down to just $5M.

ak99999 likes this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

When does these get reports when used. I read the heat-rockets extensively and don’t remember any verbiage mention about the Harden TPE. Also I thought you couldn’t combine TPE with players to pull off a trade

#64 mac_got_this, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    joshuaao likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

nice little podcast. I think Stone deserves a B for now, given the Sh#t storm he walked into. That said, I don’t know how u can have much confidence in him at this point. I think he’s still got to earn that and he’s got a ways to go. What he does with these draft picks is going to be very determinative of what I think of him. If we start trading away picks chasing stars, shortcircuting the rebuild, I’m going to be very disappointed. If we Royce white these picks I’m going to be very upset. He’s got to show that he knows how to draft talent and have the patience to develop it and build around it. If he does that he will prove himself a worthy GM. But I’m not signing up for a bad version of Daryl Morey, endlessly starchasing while ignoring the draft and player development.

SkareKrow and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Use of TPEs to absorb salary in trades is not often reported. I typically inquire with folks who'd know because they have league contacts and actually care about such minutiae (such as Bobby Marks).

The Harden TPE was not combined with anything. The Oladipo trade was essentially constructed (from the Rockets' standpoint) as two separate trades:

Trade 1: Oladipo for Olynyk (generating an $8.2M TPE)

Trade 2: Bradley into the Harden TPE (reducing the Harden TPE from $10.65M down to $5M)

joshuaao, mac_got_this and jordnnnn like this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

So we took on Bradley when we didn’t even have to. I was wondering why we were playing him so much. I though he was just filler but it seems Houston has some interest there

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bima, is Trade 1 contingent on Trade 2 happening? I guess what I don't understand, if those two are executed as separate trades, Trade 2 is clearly okay, but Trade 1 doesn't make sense to me since salaries don't match up and don't meet typical league rules.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

No. Trades can be constructed based on EACH team's desired structure. This was the Rockets' desired trade structure. From Miami's perspective, since they had to have enough outgoing salary to match salaries to comply with NBA trade rules, they needed to construct the trade as a straight-up Olynyk/Bradley package for Oladipo. Bradley had to be included for the trade to work.

See my response above. Each team can construct the same trade in the manner most advantageous to that team.

joshuaao, RC Cola and ElPigto like this.
  10. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Oladipo is injured. Dude just can’t remain healthy.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Just watched the video. Didn't even really see anything happen to his knee to cause it, but all the sudden he could barely walk on it. Doesn't look good.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I've never heard of the "information-gathering stage" 4 days later.

Sounds markedly worse than "day-to-day"

joshuaao likes this.
  13. DonatelloLimestone

Yea its too soon to say with Stone, not to mention any GM or coach who comes through the rockets now has an asterisk of constraints by ownership. Morey had compiled and touted the value of assets to building a team when you are already at the cap, then with new ownership proceeded to trade away assets, picks, contracts, ignore TPE/MLE and somehow became masterful at gymnastics to get under the tax line.

That’s the boss who signs the checks, I get it. But the oladipo handling was concerning. We knew he was an expiring contract, lie Fournier those values are then traded with backs agains the wall. His supposed choice had the possibility of also making enough room for him in just 2 months to sign him outright. That was the argument of levert, he gave us two more years after this to workout a trade. He was 26 and has been inconsistent, but in 8 playoff games under pressure defense has really impressive and you don’t have your backs against the wall because you have to make a trade or lose him. If the idea in what they are saying to the press that levert would just bump us out of the bottom 4, are they saying they felt he was better so chose a worse player with a worse contract situation as an asset?

The silver linings for Stone: Wood trade, getting Tate(I consider this an A move), KMJ also looks great and of course they threw in a BS tillman hype behind it saying they paid 5 plus million for a late 2nd rounder which would make it the most expensive 2nd rounder ever,. But thats what we need from him, to hit in the draft. We’ve got a lot of picks that show to be in the late first round so if he can keep finding talent we should be in good case.

Brings about another question, anyone know how much of Morey’s Analytics staff/team we kept for data?

joshuaao likes this.