1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Solid is not good enough for a top pick. You want to get a franchise level player, someone who can carry a team, take over when your teammates are struggling.

I only saw him play in the two Final Four games, so I can't say I know how good he is. I like his tenacious defense. I like his court vision. These things don't show up in boxscore but very important. He doesn't seem to be very explosive or especially crafty in driving to the hoop. His shooting isn't impressive. I checked his stats, he shoots only 33% from 3, that's kind of just okay, not even above average for a star guard.

Richie_Rich, Mr Woods, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jared Butler > Suggs.

Plowman likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

So dumb. For real.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed these are all silly comps.

The guy he reminds me of? Bostjan Nachbar. They're both males, both play basketball, both are like 6'8-6'9, etc etc.

xiki, Buck Turgidson and vlaurelio like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If recent history has proven anything, you pick the 6'8 guard that can shoot and have passing abilities. This seems to be the trend the NBA is going.

I would have no regrets if Cade became a bust.

Mr Woods, HP3, Rudyc281 and 4 others like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

very hard to envision Cade becoming a bust...not with that size, skill, and shooting ability

the ones that have high bust potential and scare me the most are skilled, but soft big men who get drafted high hoping they’re the next Dirk (Bargnani, Dragan Bender), prehistoric bigs that can’t shoot and who’s best skill is posting up (Jahlil Okafor), bigs that are just athletic and don’t have much else, and athletic wings that can’t shoot (Josh Jackson) or athletic, small guards that can’t shoot and are really SG’s in a PG body (DSJr)

Kuminga’s worst case is being this draft’s Josh Jackson

HP3, apollo33, Bo6 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah I’m back on the Cade band wagon lol

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

at worst he can be a Draymond Green with more offense type player

realistic best case simmons with a shot thought a bit shorter

pipe dream luka/harden lite

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I agree, big guards are pretty much safe picks these days with how position less things are. The ones that can actually shoot like Cade already has a higher floor than anyone else.

Even if his athleticism causes his scoring to dip in the NBA, he can still grab you a ton of rebounds and spot up 3's. I honestly don't see a downside.

Reeko likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

for me, it’s just a question of if he’ll be able to get to the line and finish at the rim at a high level in the NBA...if not, maybe he’s just a high IQ 20, 7, and 6 guy that can play multiple positions which is really good, but not superstar, franchise player level

Richie_Rich and sydmill like this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Who in this draft is this?

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If you look at some of the franchise level players in the league over the past several years that went to college, besides Carmelo who has been the best players on a championship team?

Not even a lot of them even make it that far. Even just looking at Mobley and Cade, neither of them carried their team that far.

Besides the final shot, Suggs had some big plays in that final four game. What was much more impressive to me than that shot was his block on that dunk attempt, securing the rebound and then throwing that long bounce pass for the easy assist in transition.

Keep in mind these dudes aren't even 20 yet. College freshmen. Lots of growing and projecting to be done.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Suggs is a nice player.....but he's not Cade, Cade is simply better than him. Suggs simply isnt explosive enough to get by guards in the NBA. Baylor ate Gonzaga's lunch. But the whole using the tourney as a way to judge players is bogus anyways.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I hate this seemingly recent trend that if you're not a total stud by age 21 or so, you don't have much hope of improving and becoming one.

I see it in baseball circles too.

HP3 and ico4498 like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know. I am not saying Suggs can't do it. But calling him "solid" doesn't impress me if I am going to draft that high.

Like I said, I like his defense and his court vision. These things bode well in the NBA. I assume that he is a smart kid. That is something I like too.

What I don't see is exceptional ability to get to the hoop. That is something you have to be able to do if you want to be an elite PG on the pro level. To be able to do that, you either have great speed and athleticism like Westbrook (which most people agree that's not Suggs' strength) or you are crafty like Nash and CP3. And his mediocre shooting worries me too. Again, I want to get an elite player, not just a solid one.

Richie_Rich, HP3 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He went against a zoned ass zoned packed interior 5 player defense. NBA is nothing like that, it's really spaced out.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't watch college ball anymore, but 6'8 dudes who can pass, score, etc. without freakish athleticism remind me of Walt Williams. All the hype and about 25-50% of the expected results. Walt had a good career but never lived up to the "Wizard" hype. So how does Cade compare to a Walt Williams for all you that remember him? :D

bumbum09 and HP3 like this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Magic Johnson. Steve Smith. It’s where the NBA is trying to return.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I watched most of the game so my opinion on the trajectory of someone’s career is flawless

Marteen and xtruroyaltyx like this.