1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alarming surge’ in anti-Asian violence across US terrifies community members

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Muy trigerosos hermanx.

Those types of comics suck. I don't want shitty comics normalized into the conversation.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hombre gatillo, take a look at who I tagged

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@rocketsjudoka @B-Bob
    Man you got to love San Francisco

this one was messy

kid claims racism
    Bar owner said he’s not old enough to be in bar (looks like he’s right)
    Was told to leave
    Then bar patron punched the kid ( the real wrong here)
    Then the bar gets death threats which is wrong

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Link?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

he must not have seen Gran Torino

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You think this might have something to do with the numbers and not them being liberal.

States with high Asian American populations report the most incidents. CA (43.8%); NY (13.0%); WA (4.1%); and IL (2.8%) have the highest rates

And going by your other link outside of San Fran, the most increases are from Republican states.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Well he is only 24.

Not a big movie with the brothas as well.

9. Invisible Fan

That doesn't refute what I wrote?

Stereotyping MAGA Bubba is a nice and convenient scapegoat to point fingers at, but it's only a diversion. Potentially more harmful in its divisiveness and paralysis towards action.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It refutes your implications.

Your implying the entire state is liberal, meaning that somehow these attackers are liberal or the liberal state is at fault or something.

Implying that these attacks have anything to do with Liberal states or people is actually harmful in its divisiveness and paralysis action.

11. Invisible Fan

I wrote liberal cities for a reason. The cartoon made it seem like Trumpers were responsible for what's going on with Asian violence. It's clearly not the reason nor the pattern for the uptick in reported violence.

My point is that the facts didn't match up to the cartoon's implication. Scapegoating is a common and sleazy shorthand, so I try to call it out when I see it even if it makes me sound trigger'd.

If there were more data, I'd tighten my wording. People don't usually report hate crimes to police outside of random beatdowns that send you to the ER.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you did not like the scapegoating in the cartoon, so you scapegoated entire Liberal states and municipalities.

That makes total sense.

My bad.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've hated the Utah Jazz since Mad Max was still playing.

tinman likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

People want to change stuff to fit a political narrative, that's how 2021 works. And most people are lemmings and suckers anyways.
    Easily manipulated and triggered.

Nobody wants to dissect each situation , city by city, person by person and situation.

I've been posting Asian hate news unfiltered, but the only ones that really get the 'supposed Rockets fans who joined Clutchfans to be with Rockets fans' is the one that fits their 'narrative'.

Nobody really wants to talk about the racial tensions between Asians and African Americans in places where income equality and class/race segregation is the highest .And there's racism on all groups, the virus is just a green light to show the racism.

Super rich Chinese people from China bought lots of real estate in California and in most cases, don't live in the homes. Just investment properties.
    African Americans are being pushed out areas by rich people foreign and domestic. There's a Dave Chappelle joke where he says "I'm in San Francisco and I can't find any Black people" punchline "Oh, they are in Oakland!"

No 'peace' rally is going to solve the tension right away. there are big issues in these cities contributing to this.

@pgabriel

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

If other people read it that way and have similar definitions of what "scapegoating" means, then it would be my bad.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

New York using undercover cops now
    @real_egal
    Smart

17. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Only to put them back to work. I think it was last year that the city council and mayor de Blasio passed the change that uniformed police officers cannot cover their badge, and budget was cut bigly, mainly to prevent undercover officers from joining "peaceful demonstrations" unnoticed. Of course, politicians don't care about any side effects of any policies from their narratives. Those undercover officers used to fight a whole range of crimes, rather than just monitoring "peaceful demonstration". Mr. Blasio has been at odds with NYPD for a long time. Several years ago, at the farewell ceremony of 2 officers being ambushed and killed, all police officers showed the Mayor the back.

Although I can't stand Mr. "when I was at 911" Giuliani, he did fight the crime well. I moved there after 911, so I could only read and hear about what was like before. A lot of people I know were mugged before, but none of them was stabbed or shot or sucker punched for no reason. In the 80's, there was even some sort of "visiting US for dummies" booklet in China, telling you to carry 20 bucks in your pocket and cooperate. When Bloomberg was the Mayor, I didn't hear or experience that much violence either. Even the first "occupying Wallstreet" was very peaceful, and once I had a calm conversation with some of them. I told them that blocking subway entrance was against the 99%, coz the1% they had issue with, don't ride subway.

IMHO, instead of arguing whether a crime is a hate crime non-stop, we should go to work and fight all crimes all the time. Let cops do their jobs and make courts do their jobs too.

tinman likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

jiggyfly likes this.