1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans: official unofficial vote of no confidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dachuda86, Apr 1, 2021.

?

It's time for a new owner. Yay or nay?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2021.
  1. Yay.

87.8%
  2. Nay.

12.2%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well when you preface a post with this it doesn't seem like it's open for discussion, haha. However, Cuban has a championship. He has a history of making moves and taking risks to win that builds goodwill and credit with fans. He was loyal and did well by Dirk, the franchise cornerstone. I dont think he's a "great" owner but is it really not possible to see that Tilman has a poor track record of saying and doing the wrong things that fans don't want to hear from a man who inherited a championship caliber team while Cuban's passion and arrogance resonates better with his fanbase?

2. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Again, Cuban took 10 years to win a championship. People have unreasonable expectations.

HoustonWest likes this.
  3. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Yeah threads like this are just embarrassing.

SuperKev likes this.
  4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Criticism of anyone and anything is ALWAYS fine.
    It’s the HATE I’m talking about.
    And for what? For doing what literally every other team does almost every single year for the last 60 years? Ie balancing the business/money aspect with desire to win.

lecture? Posting an opinion about the incessant whining on this board is hardly lecturing. If that’s your bar for “lecturing” then every single post/argument on here qualifies as a “lecture.” Being a super fan doesn’t make your hate rational. Many of the things said about Tilman arent criticism, they’re just hateful and spiteful. And again, I repeat, for doing nothing different than Les or any other owner at one time or another (really most the time for every team — very few can spend spend spend without regard and even those teams don’t win, clippers have an owner willing to spend, doesn’t make a diff if you can’t get the talent worth spending on).

HoustonWest likes this.
  5. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Perfect description. This is certainly whiny.

I think it's mob mentality spurred or enflamed by digital and social media. Up until recently it seemed they people were more "capable" of having independent thought.

Nowadays whatever the hot take narrative shared on Twitter/Reddit/ESPN is what pervades and is sold as fact.

In this case it's TILMAN = EVIL and if you dare to provide nuance or remotely challenge that "fact" then apparently you're a moron.

The real world is vastly different than social media. Unfortunately it seems that an entire generation of people don't know any other way of communicating.

(I'm generally very pessimistic about the future of the world for what it's worth.)

Kevooooo likes this.
  6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Why do people keep complaining that this thread won’t change anything? Absolutely zero threads on a fan site have ever changed anything. What makes this one special?

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

idk where you pulled that take... I'm sayin we added assets to move guys like Chriss, Knight and whoever for LTS... instead of eating those contracts for another year to then roll them as an expiring into a better player by utilizing them for contract matching (along with additional assets...)
    At the time it was all about that repeater tax 3 or 4 years down the road - avoid it now so the clock doesnt start...blah blah blah.... but we never came close to that being of consequence...

8. DaneB

DaneB Member

Could always wire tap his phones and see what you can get him to say on record. Isn’t that what happened to Donald Sterling?

9. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

There very good rational posts defengint Fertita. If you did not account for the abysmal drop in performance, the change in the trade outcomes (with Morey here) and the contrast that a winning tradition offers.

I can buy the ultra rational take saying we should at least wait for the upcoming draft before lighting the virtual torches.
    But even those ultra rational would have to concede that this has been a disaster in all fronts at this point.

Fertita could hit the lottery, a couple draft picks and have us all eat crow by this time next year. But there is nothing normal about the fall of the Rockets since the Capela trade.

darksoul35 likes this.
  10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Getting nothing for Harden and getting rid of Morey are obvious signs. But ok I guess it's unrealistic isn't it?

darksoul35 likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Read the thread title

12. Batman Jones

I did and then I just did again. I honestly don't get how this thread or thread title is any different than any other. Is it because they have "official" in the title? Because they also have "unofficial" in it. To me, the "official" was clearly a joke intro to a fan poll.

clos4life and don grahamleone like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A vote of no confidence is typically an indication to change leadership (hold new elections). Its' one thing to express our opinions but it's silly to have a vote of no confidence.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. Batman Jones

We just took it differently. I know what a vote of no confidence means IRL but this isn’t real life. I took it as a facetious title with the presumption being that we all understand that no BBS poster(s) has any power over the organization.

clos4life and don grahamleone like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

my comment was never meant to be taken so seriously either.

point remains, throughout this horrible handling of the team by Tilman, which we can all agree on, the ones who really get screwed are us.

Batman Jones likes this.
  16. DonatelloLimestone

Yea I don't think anything here is consequential, but as fans that is the only outlet we have. The fact is these are privately owned businesses, but this isn't a typical 'marketplace'. We have emotional attachments and loyalty to a franchise/city. One player or owner is not definitive of the whole franchise, but we are the mercy of his benevolence and intelligence. Look at the knicks, fans are emotionally attached and grew up with memories and loyalty to the team and its history, the kid james dolan with an ego to fill MSG comes about and has no accountability, the chants or protest or billboards don't affect him and he knows people aren't going away from the knicks. And that guy will do the one basic thing we need of our owners in this privelged billionaire league where just the TV contracts pay a good majority of contracts, just sign the checks when you're in contention.

We just saw not just a team within the finals be cheaped out just a little while ago and now we're gunning for a 52 percent shot of the lottery, until then its fair game to use this as an outlet since that is all we can do really as fans who pay for games, some ticket holders, and the only winner the last three years if you look at every trade deadline were moves that got under the tax. Morey didn't see benefit or cap flexiblity from that, harden, the coaches, or the city...only one man benefited form those moves. So unless you feel that Daryl, Harden just were feeling like they really wanted to give tillman more cash in their pocket, we didn't swing for the fences.

The fact is, when I found out les was selling the team to a season ticket holder and local houstonian I was ecstatic. Thats what we would want. I'm an objective fan, this isn't the CCP or China(and that would be the worst case scenario, a foreign China or Saudi owner), this isn't some Dear leader praise or you don't have any loyalty. The owner or one player doesn't define the team,we can be objective let alone on an inconsequential forum for us to get together vent and talk crap.

I say all this knowing that while the last couple years have been a disappointing crapshow and all we did was Punt(we'll spend when jimmy butler or lebron says hell come here! like every franchise would...he'll ill get a 100 million loan approved if a star comes, they make their money back right away in media,product in the way nba economics work) and now we've punted again to see how these picks workout in several years and hopefully some middle school player is really putting in the work. I give a lot of credit to STone who we now have Wood, KPJ, KMJ, Tate to really build upon and when it is done right this time, I'll happily applaud Tillman because his success in the rockets is ours. I want that to happen, that doesn't make me blind to the past and its ok to say that. Fans can be objective.

don grahamleone likes this.