1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Olynyk's Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

The hope is that Cade/Suggs (and our later first rooks) plus kpj, wood, kj, Tate growth is good enough to where we win games playing the young guys anyways...olynyk is someone that can bring out the good in other players offensively. We need to keep some vets that encourage development through either their skill-set, attitude, or work ethic

I only want him back if he isn’t expensive, but bringing him back can help growth

HP3 likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. TimDuncanDonaut

I would offer him a contract. If he signs here; his contract has value and can later be flipped.

The issue we had on Dipo was because few teams wanted a half season rental.

Harden -> Kurucs/LaVert -> Dipo / Exum-> Bradley/Olynyk/Exum -> Exum (calf strain).

If both ex MIA guys leave, then outside of the picks and swaps, the Harden trade will net us no actual players who can suit up and play.... all in less than a year o_O.

AXG and mightybosstone like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we could get rid of John Wall and Eric Gordon this summer in order to re-sign Kelly Olynyk. He is a solid player that has a place in a young team like ours if he wishes to be here. I won't be mad at him for wanting to chase a championship.

apollo33 and wolstein like this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Says a lot about our team when Kely Olynyk and DJ Augustin come in and immediately become one of our better players.

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

I see no lies. I swear I’ve been thinking this every game. Clearly better when those 2 are in the court. Savvy vets...they know the game. What they lack in ability they make up for with knowledge of the game in spades.

Nick_713, BamBam, ArtV and 3 others like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can't believe I missed an Olynyk start tonight :oops:

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A god amongst men to be certain

chadyang, jiggyfly and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes me want to break ****.

Sign us up for the next team to disappointed because they thought this was sustainable by Olynyk.

Not even using a month as a sample size and we have exactly how many games since he was traded?

1?

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It's cool bro, he'll only be here for another month. This is just an audition for somewhere else.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Da ****.

Is that what we have become.

D-rock and chadyang like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Are you sure, maybe Stone thinks he is a fan favorite and can say we "won" the trade.

D-rock likes this.
  14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It doesn't matter what we want. Unless he's getting double what he would somewhere else he's gone.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , it isn't likely he continues to shoot 43.8% from 3 and 80% from 2 point range .... but he can still be highly productive. he's had a hell of a few games here.

He's always been a pretty solid shooter from 3 , prior to this season his lowest 3point percentage for a season was .349 and has had 2 seasons of better than 40% from 3. His play is by no means a fluke ....

Just about every player on the Heat roster is shooting several percentage points lower this year than last from 3.

Olynyk comes here and all the sudden is shooting at or above his career norms - a full 10 points higher than he had been shooting this year in Miami .... I don't think that's a coincidence at all, he's getting wide open looks in this offense.

As long as he continues to get that quality of looks (and why wouldn't he ?) , its not unreasonable to expect him to shoot at his career average of ~37% .

That's a quality contributor ....

Shark44, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. mightybosstone

I'd offer him a deal, too, as long as it's reasonable and there aren't any young players with greater potential out there they could get instead. If John Collins or Lauri Markkanen, for example, were available and you have a realistic shot to get them, that should be a priority with whatever money they have available. That being said, I think it's unlikely, so I'd have no problem giving Olynyk $10 million a year or (even better) MLE money to retain him for a few more seasons as a veteran presence. The team has definitely looked better since he came on board.

TimDuncanDonaut and wolstein like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea what you are responding to.

He was contributing to underachieving team in Miami and his quality contributions have gotten us 1 win.

I don't care what he shooting from 3 does he contribute to a rebuild or a championship team, I am not knocking his game but why would care what his raw numbers are if he is not contributing to a rebuild, what's the quality contributions in that?

He has always been a player that gets his playing time cut once teams start winning, do you know what Ryan Anderson's 3% was once he left?

He is also hunting for his shot a bit too much for my liking.

Now I can get on board bringing DJ back on a good contract.

18. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Stone would have won the trade even if he swapped Oladipo for a balloon animal.

Dood had a net negative impact and it sucked balls having to watch him play

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Stone should trade Eric Gordon to Indiana for Myles Turner. Turner went to school in Texas, and Gordon is from Indiana, This works perfect for both team. Wood is a power forward and not a center. Having big men of Turner, Wood and Olynyk. With Porter, Cade and Tate. Trading Wall is a must this offseason and need to trade for a center(Turner)

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait wut?

So because we can't get a young guy, you just sign Olynyk to a 10+ million a year contract?

Do you even know if he is a good veteran presence?

The team has won 1 game since he came aboard and both wilsons have been here the same amount of time, so sign them up as well?

I can't even.