1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Great 2021 COVID Vaccine Chase

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Supermac34, Jan 4, 2021.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

J&J gives you 60% protection. That's not enough.

mikol13 likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Would be cool if they get a hard confirmation on this, so that vaccinated people can stop wearing masks. Of course, then you might get into a "show me your card" type of situation, and I could see people making fake vaccine cards.

TimDuncanDonaut and TWS1986 like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think all give you close to 100% protection from severe case of covid.

J&J trials were also with the new more potent variants, so can’t do a simple apple to apple comparison to the other two approved EUA vaccines in the US.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Pfizer says trial showed its COVID-19 vaccine was 100 percent effective in adolescents (yahoo.com)

The COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech was 100 percent effective in adolescents aged 12 to 15 in a phase 3 study, the companies announced.

Pfizer and BioNTech said Wednesday that the vaccine, which is currently in use in the United States for adults, demonstrated 100 percent efficacy in the trial. It also demonstrated "robust antibody responses, exceeding those recorded earlier in vaccinated participants aged 16 to 25 years old, and was well tolerated."

This study consisted of 2,260 adolescents in the United States between 12 and 15, and there were 18 cases of COVID-19 reported in the placebo group, but no cases in the group that was vaccinated.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

From what I’ve heard and been told from hospital personnel, J&J is said to be less protection compared to full 2 doses of Pfizer/moderna. But at the end of the day one J&J shot is better than nothing

malakas likes this.
  7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If you want to chase a Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, that's fine too. J&J still had zero hospitalizations and deaths in their trials (and J&J tested in countries where the variants had taken over) and J&J had 85% efficacy against severe Covid symptoms (with none resulting in hospitalization).

With that said, it's fine to want to opt for the vaccine that you percieve has stronger protections but some people are also skeptical of mRNA technology since it is so new and the J&J vaccine provides a strong alternative that is built on more traditional vaccine technology.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yeap, but might be a bit too early to analyze real world clinical data for J&J. All of them did great in trials.

CDC and Israel now both have real world data on Pfizer or Moderna and they performed as good or better than clinical trials. J&J real world clinical data will show up in a couple of months.

Personally, I take any of them, whatever is available and offered.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

#349 J.R., Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The J&J vaccine lasts 6 months? That's it?

TWS1986 likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The only way to know how long it works for is to actually let time pass. The doctors I have seen strongly feel that immunity might be conveyed for a very long period of time.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

For anyone who was wondering about vaccination after you have been infected by covid and have covid antibodies. This was the only study I could actually find that showed side effects and antibody response. Bottom line is you will have a much stronger antibody levels than before the vaccine and you will have stronger antibody levels than someone who did not have a covid infection. You are more likely to have side effects from the vaccination

I wish there were newer studies, but I can't find them and this one took forever for me to find. This one is about 2 months old.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.29.21250653v1.full-text

[​IMG]

B-Bob, Amiga and ThatBoyNick like this.
  13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They've all only measured efficacy based on 6 months. You'll see Pfizer and Moderna efficacy numbers based on a 6 month timeframe as well. All three are already designing booster shots so it's likely that we'll have another vaccine round later this year.

Amiga likes this.
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ya boy just got his first dose of Moderna.

TWS1986, B-Bob and bobrek like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

Just this week in this country 1 death and 1 in ICU after the Astrazeneca vaccination. Both women in their 60s.

But authorities still try to bury the truth and assure "everything is safe" and it's still better than no vaccination.

But of course this is epidemiology. It deals with populations. So even if you and your whole neighbourhood dies from the vaccine it will still be safe.

Luckily we managed to change my parents' appointment to Phizer.

If you are a woman especially, say no to Astrazeneca. You may go for whool and come home shorned.

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

First dose of Pfizer. Yea....

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Pfizer/Moderna study was done in the summer into fall only in the United States with lower overall Covid cases. J&J was done in the winter with much higher Covid cases and more strains. All the efficacy numbers are based solely on these trials and thus it makes no sense to compare them at all. There’s no way you can say J&J is the lesser vaccine at this point. I got vaccinated through Pfizer but would feel just as comfortable with J&J.

As has been said, the most important thing is they are all keeping people out of the hospital.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Who let your peasant self in the Moderna club? We exclusive

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Thursday. They didn't tell ahead of time what vaccine I was getting it and would've preferred another vaccine. The Moderna vaccine is an extra week more than the Pfizer between doses and given that I had to drive about a hour north of where I live not thrilled to have to wait until the end of the month for my second dose.

My ex just got the Johnson and Johnson shot at the Minneapolis convention center.

What's annoying is since MN just opened up to everyone over 16 I made my appointment last Friday and it was a pain in the ass. I took the first one I could get through my health system. Meanwhile people like my ex, who is younger than me, got on last Monday for an appointment by Friday with options.

All of that said I would still rather get the Moderna rather than gamble that I would've been able to get another within the same time period. Partial immunity is granted with the first shot and with the sudden rush there is no guarantee I would've been able to reschedule for a different vaccine.

#359 rocketsjudoka, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind there have been people who died during the Pfizer trials too. Given that hundreds of thousands of people have been vaccinated with each of the vaccines out there it shouldn't come as a surprise that people have died. From what I've seen none of the deaths appear to be statistically significant and / or shown to be related to the vaccine themselves.

Certainly reasonable precautions should be taken and my dad is waiting for his cardiologist to tell him which vaccine he thinks is safer but for otherwise healthy people out of the approved vaccines I think the risk is negligible and statistically much less than contracting COVID-19.

Also just to note my dad is in Hong Kong where cases are miniscule compared to the US. If he was here in the US I would pressing him to get vaccinated as soon as possible no matter which one he was offered.