1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blockbuster series of Rockets trades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

The Houston Rockets have traded James Harden, Chris Paul, Trevor Ariza, P.J. Tucker, Clint Capela, and a net loss of two second-round draft picks, for ...

Christian Wood, John Wall, D.J. Augustin, Avery Bradley, Dante Exum, Kelly Olynyk, D.J. Wilson, and a net gain of four first-round draft picks, three first-round swaps, and one second-round swap.

Also, since our record sucks, each of the pick exchanges not shown in this calculation (the ones I canceled out, where we gave up a pick in one deal and got back a same-round pick in another deal) is also, as of now, a likely net loss.

Sadly, on April 2, this will still be true.

I tried to add up and cancel out the various pick exchanges. Didn't dwell on the protections or where they might fall in the draft order. Let me know if I miscalculated anywhere.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You forgot to calculate the LTS which is the true star of the show.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

TLDR version:

We traded Chris Paul, 2 first-round picks, and 2 first-round swaps for Russell Westbrook.

s3ts, Highlyrated, Deckard and 13 others like this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IF the Lotto gods decree a Top 4 pick then add it to the receives.

IF Bradley can bring back something, Hello Riles, add that to the receives.

IF KO brings back a reasonable SnT add it to the receives.

IF Wall gets s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d and the balance allows a good FA add that to the receives.

IF IF IF IF

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

top 4 pick or bust, that’s all I have to say

Deckard, Deuce, xiki and 8 others like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

i've said this many times over the years. the goal should be to win a ring as soon as possible, and only extend that as soon part if it means you better position yourself to win multiple rings.

that being said, idgaf if they traded all of their assets for nothing. if it resulted in them drafting future HOFers and having cap space to sign other HOFers and they win a ring, then that works for me.

I'm not saying that's what's happening, i'm just saying i'm concerned with the end result.

i can't judge the "summary" of the trades until i see what happens with this year's pick, and the future picks.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with your "end result" take. But just because you are lucky does not make your bad decisions good. I honestly don't think the plan when we traded Harden was to intentionally make us a bottom 3 team. The fact that they wanted Oladipo over other possible players shows that they still thought we could be competitive. In a way, getting Oladipo was a bad decision that turned out good in an unexpected way.

s3ts, slothy420, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How can something posted on 4/1 be true on 4/2?

9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

well this is a downer

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

They basically were forced to blow up the team and not get equal value based on trade demands, and this will set them back for some time. The reason why the rocket are tanking is to get top 1-2 pick for this very reason.

People this team is rebuilding, enjoy watching no pressure basketball.

Highlyrated and Rhay1 like this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Because we are past the trade deadline, none of the transactions he posted can be turned into other assets until the offseason. Any further signings has no effect on our trade history.

We traded Chris Paul and several draft picks and swaps for Russell Westbrook, then traded Westbrook for Wall and a 1st. That's true today, it'll be true tomorrow too.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Net gain of four first round picks is pretty damn impressive considering we started the year down two picks and up one Westbrook.

Basically we had to offset the 2024 and 2026 pick losses with a first rounder from Portland in 2021 from the Covington deal, a first rounder from Washington in the Westbrook deal, an eventual first rounder from Detroit in the Christian Wood trade (where we gave up the first Porland first rounder from the Covington deal in favor of a later, heavily protected pick that might not convey for another 3-4 years).

Then we got the three first rounders from Brooklyn, the three pick swaps from them (just forget about the 2021 swap already), and the Milwaukee first rounder in 2022 (Jarrett Allen trade) that became 2023 after the PJ Tucker trade.

Wait a minute, isn't that a net gain of five first round picks then? And when you account for the PJ Tucker 2nd rounder swap up to the 1st round this year, isn't that six? Minus the additional high second rounder we're losing this year.

Highlyrated likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"Tilman hasn't even been that bad!"

Keep telling yourselves that

slothy420, D-rock, Deuce and 6 others like this.
  14. JayZ750

well... I’m still of the opinion that if Wood stayed healthy it’s a fringe playoff team.

but otherwise kind of agree.

I thought from the second the Harden trade happened that the goal of it actually was optionality. Otherwise they would have taken the Nets players. At no point do I think Stone planned on having Oladipo long term. He obviously planned a better return for him and miscalculated how often he’d be out, and how bad he played relatively speaking but IF optionality was part of the equation, then it’s still a good outcome IF they keep their pick (heck a GREAT outcome).

finally I think so far Stones been a very solid GM. All of the immediate grading of the Dipo deal ignored the obvious... there weren’t exactly better options. LeVert/Allen isn’t a better option... and it’s a MUCH worse option when you factor in KPJ who came directly because of the Harden trade. Even if you don’t believe there was discussion already about him joining the Rockets - and it’s pretty coincidental that it happened to be the Rockets he ended up - the series of events nonetheless was a fallout of the Harden trade. Ben Simmons package... that’s only a better outcome for fans still wanting to see some semblance of competitive basketball. But that was its ceiling imo. Simmons is at his best this year I guess, where he is finally surrounded by shooters and can focus on facilitating and defense. Rockets don’t have shooters really and Wall will dominate usage when he’s in, etc. Tobias Harris has been the real deal for the Sixers this year. And of course again no KPJ.

sorry to ramble... I just personally am some lucky ping pong ball bounces away from really really liking the rebuild process.

peleincubus, Highlyrated and Easy like this.
  15. JayZ750

I personally think KPJ has to be added to the calculus.

without the Harden trade KPJ doesn’t come. And it’s not like the Harden trade happened then 3 other things happened then they signed him with cap space.

I think it was part of the discussions in the first place. But even if you don’t believe that... trade a happened, KPJ came immediately thereafter. Direct enough and even more so when absent that trade KPJ is perhaps/likely still a Cav right now.

Ubiquitin and DrNuegebauer like this.
  16. photojoe

photojoe Member

I wish this thread was a bad April Fool's joke

A core of Harden, CP3, Capela and Tucker would be among the favorites for a title this year.

17. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Sure, but we could also look at it a MEGA ULTRA trade of Olajuwon, Clyde and etc for Wall, Wood and etc.

Come on...
    Like you guys didn't see this team just MELT after Orlando bubble.

Ubiquitin and Doctor Robert like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

and TPE's.

Although they sit out with coaches (owners) decision

D-rock and saleem like this.
  19. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Wall getting bought out per rumor

20. alethios

alethios Member

And one epic tank
    [​IMG]

Ubiquitin, B-Bob, clos4life and 4 others like this.